Ambulance crash

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
When DD was 8no she was transported as a precaution after a MVA. They removed her from her MA abs stairs her into a papoose type thing then strapped that to the gurney.

ADS

bccrst

DD was transferred loose in an incubator (non-emergent transfer to a step-down nursery.) I've seen other babies arrive here in similar circumstances at least velcroed into their incubators. Our trip wasn't long.

DD2 had two ambulance transfers, as well as a medical flight, in an incubator, and no one ever mentioned velcroing her down. I don't remember any of the babies that came through either of the hospitals being in anything other than an incubator (sometimes strapped to a stretcher, sometimes as a stand alone unit). That's cool that there's another option, even if it's not always used! I clearly remember feeling my heart in my throat during the medivac transfer when we hit turbulence and I had to hold onto DD inside the incubator. Not fun.

DS had an ambulance ride around 7mo, and I insisted on strapping him into his seat and installing it on the stretcher. The paramedics thought I was nuts, but the subject had just recently been discussed on here, so I at least kinda knew how to do it. And given the roads we were travelling to get to the hospital, there was no way he was going unrestrained, as his condition wasn't serious enough to risk it.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Just Fyi - we have blog on the subject of ambulance transport here: Proper Installation of Convertible Carseat on an Ambulance Cot

Unfortunately Ambulance crashes aren't uncommon. I was employed by an EMS provider for 5 years and they had so many crashes that their insurance company dropped them. They found a new insurance company but this company mandated that every employee, including myself, had to take CEVO training which is basically like Defensive Driving for ambulance drivers.

For what it's worth - Dr. Nadine Levick has done more research on the topic than anyone else I know. Her website is here: http://www.objectivesafety.net/

fyrfightermomma

Children should be restrained in either an ambulance approved restraint on the cot or in a convertible car seat on the cot. Back of the seat touches the back of the cot and a belt through each belt path. So technically rear facing but also technically using the seat incorrectly. But there are few other options. This is for non critical patients.

Critical patients we honestly don't worry about. Ambulance crashes are so rare to begin with and you have to have priorities in emergency medicine. Life safety comes before restraints. Not the best but true.

Any completely stable child is placed on the captains seat facing backwards in either a built in restraint or a convertible seat again facing rear facing (the ambulance seat not the car seat)

Any extra passenger should be transported by another means

Infant seats cannot be safely or properly installed in an ambulance in most cases

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I have no idea what age/weight this harnes starts from, but DD rode in it last summer. It's a rear facing 5-point harness in our ambulances here:
ambulanceHarness.jpg

The seat reclines if necessary as well as it's built into the ambulance seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC