Am I still ok?

Haven't been here so long, I've forgotten the finer details.

The law says to be in a seat until age 8 (or some height/weight requirements my kid is nowhere near).

So my kid is 8. And still in a Frontier 5 point harness. And will continue to be in the 5 point harness for the foreseeable future.

That should be fine, right?

He looks fine, height wise. I think his weight is 45-48 lbs, which just means no more LATCH. Other than that, the 5 point harness should be fine, right? I'll double check to make sure the seat isn't expired, but a Frontier lasts for 6 years, right?

ADS

Keeanh

A Frontier is 9 years. And no, there's nothing wrong with an 8yo in a harness, provided he fits (which at 48lbs, he will ;) ). However there's nothing wrong with a booster either, as long as he stays in position and keeps the belt in position. There are no studies on harness vs boostering for older kids over 40lbs, and there are theoretical pros & cons to both. Harnessing guarantees proper positioning in a crash, provides some side impact protection, and limits head excursion. Boosters reduce neck loads in frontal collisions.

9 years? Sweet! That means we can keep the younger one in her Frontier for years as well.

At this point, it's inertia. LOL. Since they're not complaining and it's still safe, I won't say or do anything. I'm pretty lucky. The younger one asked about a booster cuz her friend is in a backless booster and has been for a while. I just asked them which one looked safer and that stopped any further questions.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC