Air Canada, how uncarseat friendly?

biddyk8

Another airline question from me. I've read a few older threads and the consensus is AC talk like they are car seat friendly but aren't so nice when in person?

Also whats with the stroller policy? I have a tiny cosco travel stroller and a proper stroller. But my travel stroller doesn't umbrella fold so that means I cant take it through? I bought it specially cause the old umbrella stroller i had didnt recline at all for sleep.

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I've never had any real issues flying. I've flown mostly Air Canada and WestJet, and I go into it expecting to politely explain and advocate for my kids. I've flown with rear-facing infant/child seats with a baby, and at every step started the conversation with "she's ticketed, and I'm installing the seat on the plane for her" and took it from there. They were often surprised, sometimes fascinated and amazed (especially when I traveled last fall by myself from Vancouver Island to Toronto with two kids and two Radians and made it look easy), but never hostile.

Be prepared with your manual, the AC policy printed out and highlighted, and know where the National Safety Mark sticker is on your seat in case they ask to see it. The attitude that what you're doing is normal and safe and polite surprise that they would expect anything differently goes a long way :)

I have no idea about strollers, sorry, never traveled with one.

biddyk8

Thanks Pixelated good to know they aren't that bad with the seats. I have heard they are strict on the stroller policy of if its not a proper umbrella stroller you cant gate check it. :mad: Our travel stroller is tiny and only 9lbs but it doesnt umbrella fold. I more want it to carry the seat through the airport as I'll likely put dd in her carrier.

Still trying to decide airlines to fly with as they all require a stop over, or 3 which is a PITA.

biddyk8

Don't think it's that small, I will have to see who is cheapest when I finally have the cash to book. The cheapest option is aer lingus but they insist on FFing and T is still too little to do that even on the plane. (Only 20lbs and she's been that since Jan)

marmaladesix

We flew AC to LHR in October and had no problems with flight attendants making it hard for us to use our seat. O was in his Peg infant seat rear facing and it was fine both ways.

One thing to keep an eye on, I notice you say that Aer Lingus is the cheapest option for wherever you're going and that you'll need to change planes -- we're going back to the UK in May and discovered that British aviation law required kids to be forward facing, so if any of your legs are operated by a British (and I'd assume Irish) carrier then buying a ticket with Air Canada will only let you rear face your daughter for that one leg.

biddyk8

Ok how do I book with air Canada after over an hour on to the call center and they couldn't figure out how to book an infant in a seat.

Did I just get an idiot?

Pixelated

Book the seat online saying they're older than two. Then call back -- or not -- and change the age to infant. That's what I've done, more than once. It's entirely possible you got an incompetent CS person too :rolleyes:.

biddyk8

Yep thats how they eventually went to do it, didnt book it yet. But i think when we do will book it as a child then call to change the date of birth. Do they charge for that?

Pixelated

Yep thats how they eventually went to do it, didnt book it yet. But i think when we do will book it as a child then call to change the date of birth. Do they charge for that?

Not in my experience, no. When I did it they told me in the future I didn't need to call and bother to change it.

star33star

Hi, I've flown with my son tons on Air Canada and never had them give me any grief at all about installing a car seat. When he was in his infant seat, I used his Peg Perego SIP and I always managed a good rear facing install. Then when older, I moved to a Cosco Scenera and used it rear facing for awhile, now forward facing on the plane. It fits quite well in Air Canada coach seats, and it also fits fine in the front on domestic flights. If there are the pods, you can't use a car seat.

As for strollers, mine is a Baby Jogger City Mini. It doesn't umbrella fold, rather it folds kind of in half and I've never had any problem at all with it being accepted. I see biggish strollers all the time on the jetway and Air Canada seems to accept them just fine.

As for the easiest way to book an under-2 in his/her own seat, book online and just change the year of birth to make them look like they are two. Works just fine and you don't even have to call later to change it - a bonus since it often takes them a super long time to answer the phone. Sometimes they'll want to officially change it at the airport when you check in, other times not.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC