Adding a "jump seat" to a wheelchair van; safe for anyone?

Kathryn

Please read all the info before replying, since these aren't typical jump seats like the sideways truck ones. :D

We have 5 children; 8 yr, 6 yr, 6 yr, 6 yr, 2 yr. One of the 6 yr olds and the 8 yr old are in HBB, the other two 6 yr olds are FF in 5pt, the 2 yr old is RF in 5pt.

One of our 6 year olds had a severe brain injury as a baby and is in a wheelchair. We have started looking at wheelchair vans in the past few months, but are having kind of a hard time finding anything that is new enough, inexpensive enough, is the right conversion, is safe, and will fit our whole family.

Obviously, we need something with room for the driver, passenger, the wheelchair, and then 4 children. Everything we have found has a bench seat in the back, the wheelchair spot, the driver, and the passenger. However, there is an option to add on what they are calling a 'jump seat'. It doesn't look like the jump seats in trucks. It's forward facing, like a normal seat, has a lap/shoulder belt, and from what I can see in the photo, it appears to have holes for a head rest, though it doesn't have one on it.

This is the van we're looking at right now:
http://www.amsvans.com/handicap-van...4c3-3e7f-4e78-8051-a01401118f91#Price(;40000)

And here's the link about the jump seats:
http://www.amsvans.com/mobility-equ...ra-handicap-accessible-wheelchair-van-seating
If you look real close at the photos, it looks like it has the holes for a head rest.

Now, all that being said, is a jump seat like the one photographed in the above link a safe option? Not just for a child in a car seat, but also for one no longer needing a car seat? It looks like it would be, if it actually does have a head rest, but I wanted confirmation. :)

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Hard to say- aftermarket seating systems not installed by the vehicle manufacturer always have a big question mark. The certainly do not undergo the same computerized design and simulated testing or federally required crash testing.

That said, if it seems sturdy and the seatbelt/LATCH configuration allows for a good installation or correct fit of the seatbelt on an older child, then it might be fine since it is a forward facing seat.

Kathryn

Unfortunately with any wheelchair van, they pretty much strip it down to convert it and then add stuff back in, so it's all aftermarket stuff. :(

We're going to talk with the dealer and see if it's possible to get a full size captain chair added instead. I don't know if it will be an option, which stinks.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I don't have an answer about the jump seat. Sorry.

I just wanted to say, though, that your daughter is beautiful. I clicked on the link in your siggy and just read her story. Wow. What a little trooper she is! I have never heard of RSV meningitis. Wow.

Ali

Last night I spent several hours reading your journal over at Caring Bridge. You are an amazing family!

I have limited experience with vans with wheelchair lifts - I was an aide for 2 former students who had a van with a lift to put their wheelchairs into. The problem was, if both wheelchairs needed to be tied down into the van, then no one else could ride in any of the rear seats. They had to be folded or removed. Even with the lift in place with no wheelchairs in the vehicle, it was very tight quarters in the 3rd row bench seat due to the controls and lift.

I also had concerns of how the wheelchairs (they had manual as well as electric chairs) were tied down. It never seemed sturdy to me and they only had lap belts in their wheelchairs.

I know the ramps can be cumbersome and heavy. Would it be easier to simply transfer Lily from her wheelchair to her carseat? Then her wheelchair/stroller could go in the cargo area? Just throwing out ideas here. Hopefully some special needs techs have some better ideas.

Good luck to you :)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Would it be easier to simply transfer Lily from her wheelchair to her carseat? Then her wheelchair/stroller could go in the cargo area?

That's a good question. :)

My guess is that Lily's pain in her hips, her severe osteoporosis, and her rapid growth (and thus weight) would limit how much moving/transferring then can do? I could be wrong, though.

Kathryn

Last night I spent several hours reading your journal over at Caring Bridge. You are an amazing family!

I have limited experience with vans with wheelchair lifts - I was an aide for 2 former students who had a van with a lift to put their wheelchairs into. The problem was, if both wheelchairs needed to be tied down into the van, then no one else could ride in any of the rear seats. They had to be folded or removed. Even with the lift in place with no wheelchairs in the vehicle, it was very tight quarters in the 3rd row bench seat due to the controls and lift.

I also had concerns of how the wheelchairs (they had manual as well as electric chairs) were tied down. It never seemed sturdy to me and they only had lap belts in their wheelchairs.

I know the ramps can be cumbersome and heavy. Would it be easier to simply transfer Lily from her wheelchair to her carseat? Then her wheelchair/stroller could go in the cargo area? Just throwing out ideas here. Hopefully some special needs techs have some better ideas.

Good luck to you :)

She is currently transferred from her wheelchair to a 5 pt seat and then we just lift her chair into the back of our van (we have a Ford E150). The main issue with that is it's not going to be a possibility for me as she gets older and heavier, so we will have to get a converted van eventually, likely sooner than later. :( Plus, as the pp pointed out, the pain in her hips and the severe osteoporosis limit how much we can move her since we can so easily break her bones. It's gotten really difficult to lift her because she's already pretty heavy, can't support or help with lifting, and has super high tone in her legs so she can only be positioned certain ways. :(

Thankfully, the way the wheelchairs are tied down in vans like these (I have no idea if it's different on any type of bus, she's never been on one) is super safe. Her wheelchair would be locked in by the base, the base has a seat belt that goes around her seat, she has a harness that keeps her in the seat, and then the vehicle's lap/shoulder belt would also go around her and the wheelchair.

We wouldn't get a van that the ramp wasn't automatic since I have spinal and pain issues as well. Unfortunately, that raises the cost of the van a LOT. We're going to end up paying at least $30,000 for a used one, around $65,000 for a new one.

It would be cramped with all of us in there, but the other kids would definitely fit when her chair is tied down. They just wouldn't have a whole lot of leg room, lol.

And thank you! It's been an amazing journey with Lily and we hope to have many more years with her. :love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC