Acura MDX Owners: 3-across question from Guest

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
A visitor has a 2008 Acura MDX, a 4-year old (36 lbs) and 9-month old twins (~17 & 19 lbs).

She currently owns a SK Radian for the 4-year old and a pair of infant seats. She is now looking looking to put the twins in RF convertibles. The 4-year old will be forward facing, preferably on one side so it is easier for him to climb into his seat without having to go under a RF convertible to get to a FF seat in the middle.

They prefer not to use the third row due to legroom issues.

Any suggestions on what carseats to buy and what arrangement will work best?

ADS

jeno

Senior Community Member
FF Radian behind driver, RF radian in center. And then pretty much anything will fit behind the passenger. I don't love the Radian in that spot so I'd probably get something different there.

jeno

Senior Community Member
I'll also add that I actually prefer my FF 4 yr old in the center. It's not a huge deal for her to climb under and buckling her from the driver seat is a cinch vs buckling a RFer from the outside in that center spot, ESP a squishy babe.

I love my MDX 3 across. Let me know if you need further help Darren.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Well I dislike Radians in the MDX. Personal preference as other people are good with them. I can't get one installed decently and I hate how they don't sit solid on the seat, that you can lift them up and floppy fish them. I know that's fine if they're tight at the belt path, but I like when my seat bases sit solid and tight into the seat.

Looking at my Marathon in the centre, I honestly think another MA would fit beside it because the centre seat is higher than and forward of the outboard seat. So, I'd probably use the Radian FF, in either outboard positions, and then a couple MA's or BV's next to one another. My 5 year old climbs under the MA all the time to get to her Oobr if we're parked in traffic (she sits driver's side), but again, the centre seat sits higher so she has more height to fit through to get under it.

jeno makes a good point about the centre child being FF. The 4 year old could climb in and be safe in the vehicle, while the babies were being buckled. If a RF seat was centre, you'd want to pop the 4 year old into the front passenger seat, then sit on the Radian while you buckled the middle baby to keep the 4 year old safe and make it somewhat easier to buckle that middle child. I think the first option sounds easier to me.

So, thinking about a FF seat in the centre, I'd do the Radian, then a Britax convertible outboard on either side or a MyRide. I always found the MyRide easy to install in the MDX.

The FR installs really nicely with long belt path outboard. I've got a MA installed in the centre right now and I could try the FR outboard beside it if you think that's something they'd be interested in. Let me know.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Here is my thread, with issues, etc.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=123653

I would look at buying a FR85, turn the Radian RFing, maybe with an AA, and probably another Radian.

Judi, I'm blanking on what an AA is.

I don't think I've had issues with any of the seats I've tried, though I don't love any of the Dorel seats because of the reclines they must be at. The Pria was decent, though; it's just a bear of a seat. Using the Radian would give plenty of room for any rear-facing seats. I'd give good consideration to the Peg Perego convertible. It's a great fit rf and gives as much height room for growth as the Radian without needing an angle adjuster to adjust the carseat to get more room for the front vehicle seats.

I own an '11, though, and they might have done a mild refresh of the seats. I know they changed the back seat headrests between our model years.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
AA = Angle Adjuster

murphydog77 said:
I don't think I've had issues with any of the seats
I own an '11, though, and they might have done a mild refresh of the seats. I know they changed the back seat headrests between our model years.
There was a headrest change part way through the '07 model year IIRC. Was there another as well? I thought the last time I looked everything seemed the same, but I was pregnant so easily could have missed something! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
AA = Angle Adjuster

There was a headrest change part way through the '07 model year IIRC. Was there another as well? I thought the last time I looked everything seemed the same, but I was pregnant so easily could have missed something! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Angle Adjuster- Diono's work around for installing a Radian more upright.

Thanks for the AA reminder! I read the sentence too fast and missed the Radian rf part. Duh!

Acura made the back seat headrests different than the front seats when they updated the style from the older, rounded body style. They were shortish and roundish. Somewhere along the line, they updated to what I have, which matches the front seats and I don't know if they changed the back seats either then.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Acura made the back seat headrests different than the front seats when they updated the style from the older, rounded body style. They were shortish and roundish. Somewhere along the line, they updated to what I have, which matches the front seats and I don't know if they changed the back seats either then.
I think you're thinking of the change from '06 to '07. I'm looking at pics of 2012 MY right now and they seem the same as what they were in 07+. Sometime in '07 they made a change for better test results in the rear crash test. I don't believe they changed the look of the headrests for that though, just some of the functionality to provide better whiplash protection for the front passengers.

But if I'm wrong, I'd love to be corrected. I don't like to keep inaccurate info in my head! :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC