ACK I'm not ready! Harness vs booster, etc.

P1ally

I am so so so torn.

DS turns 7 in Sept. 48lbs, 48 inches, string bean. Very mature, not wiggly, but still, a 6 year old boy. He is going to max out his nautilus elite any day now. I'm not ready to booster him. Here's the issue-

We have 3 vehicles to contend with.

My car- 2013 Prius, pretty much his primary vehicle. Currently in a nautilus elite, I'd like to keep him harnessed a bit longer.

Mom's car- 2013 Mazda CX-5- Secondary car during the summer (she's taking care of DS) currently in a nautilus. I'd REALLY prefer he be harnessed here because my mom is…. a little bit spacey, and won't be OCD about checking his body position like I would be. She's prone to car accidents too. She's only watching him until August though..

DH's car- 2007 Tundra- rides here 1-2x/week. Not sure how much DH will check his body position, but he's driving DS primarily on an undivided highway to my mom's house. Currently riding in a SafeGuard Child Seat. Still has 1 or 2 clicks left on the harness.

My original plan was to get a FR90 for my car (and like NOW because they're on sale). I'm talking my mom into getting one because of the click tight. My only issue is the actual amount of time DS will be able to use the FR90 in both our cars. By the time DS needs to be FT boostered in everyone else's car, I want him to be VERY well booster trained.

I know I'm way over thinking this, I'm just not ready to booster him yet. :( Is it crazy to get 2 FR90s for an almost 7yo? :eek:

ADS

kater-tot82

I probably would not get them at his age. But that's me. I would probably get a dedicated booster for to replace the Nautilus that's being outgrown and really focus on booster training.

If you do buy I would not get two for a child that age. If you got one, what I would do is put it in your mom's car til she's done babysitting and transfer his SafeGuard to your car and let him use the Nauti in DH car (harness if he does still fit, booster if he doesn't). When your mom is done watching him, move SafeGuard back to DH's car and take the FR90 from your mom to your car. Do you think he can last another 6wk in one of the Nautis?

Stelvis

He's in a Go? How can he be outgrowing the Nauti but still have room in the Go? Or am I missing something?

soph's mom

I probably would not get them at his age. But that's me. I would probably get a dedicated booster for to replace the Nautilus that's being outgrown and really focus on booster training.

If you do buy I would not get two for a child that age. If you got one, what I would do is put it in your mom's car til she's done babysitting and transfer his SafeGuard to your car and let him use the Nauti in DH car (harness if he does still fit, booster if he doesn't). When your mom is done watching him, move SafeGuard back to DH's car and take the FR90 from your mom to your car. Do you think he can last another 6wk in one of the Nautis?

I agree with this...

MommyShannon

My dd was the same size at 6 when she outgrew the nautilus. It can fit a little different in each car, so I'd check to see how he fits everywhere. If its reclined, unrecline it and you might get a little more room. I got dd a FR85 when she was 6 b/c of an awesome deal. It's been great for traveling, but she has done well in boosters since she turned 6. Try the Nautilus in booster mode. It fit dd really well and the rigid back was a great intro for her into using boosters. You might be surprised how he does though I definitely would get a Frontier if you decide he won't be still in your mom's car. She shouldn't be watching him instead of the road.

djma

He's in a Go? How can he be outgrowing the Nauti but still have room in the Go? Or am I missing something?

Different seat. The Safeguard child seat has very tall top slots and a very easy install. http://www.albeebaby.com/sachsegrbl.html

If it were me, I would move the safeguard to your mom's car since you know he has a little more time. Buy a dedicated booster for your DH's car - since he's not in there too often and it could be the start of booster training. And if you have the funds, a FR90 for your car to use the harness and then the booster.

aeormsby

Different seat. The Safeguard child seat has very tall top slots and a very easy install. http://www.albeebaby.com/sachsegrbl.html

If it were me, I would move the safeguard to your mom's car since you know he has a little more time. Buy a dedicated booster for your DH's car - since he's not in there too often and it could be the start of booster training. And if you have the funds, a FR90 for your car to use the harness and then the booster.

I had similar thoughts. But if you want to watch him closer in the booster I'd probably booster him in your car and keep the harnessed seats in the other vehicles for now. That way by the time he's outgrowing the harnesses you might feel more comfortable with him boostered in other vehicles.

I would not be buying a Frontier before trying to booster and seeing if it's really needed. As for others watching to see that he's in position, he should be old enough to understand that (and it probably won't be a problem without other kids to distract him).

Baylor

I would not buy a harness seat for a nearly 7 yr old. Get a great booster that fits him well.

I have completely changed my views on boostering since coming here and learning how to do it properly and that it is a natural step in car safety.

Just because we may be afraid does not mean the child will be less safe.

I boostered my cousins 5.5 yr old yesterday with her permission of course and he did great.

I don't have the fear that I had when I came here because I was educated on proper booster fit.

I would booster. Just because we are not ready doesn't mean that they aren't.

auto correct hates me

Last edited:

P1ally

The funds aren't the issue ATM. It's the practicality of it. Even if we only get 6 more months of harness time in the FR90, I could just use it as a booster, right? It's a bit of an expensive booster, but it's perfect if it's comfy IMO.

My mom doesn't want the SGCS in her car, as she has to remove the seat once or twice a week. It's an easy install, but that seat is a BEAST. Threading the belt through the beltpath is difficult. When school starts, she won't be ds's primary caregiver, but she still has him spend the night on the weekends, watches him maybe 2 days a week. I could have her get a sure ride, as DS still fits in that just fine (so weird), but I'm not a fan. It's very narrow, difficult install (compared to the FR90) etc etc.

MommyShannon

I haven't tried the FR90, but the FR85 is very wide and heavy as a booster. Yes, you could use it, but once you have a lighter weight, dedicated booster anywhere, you will hate dragging the FR90 in and out. I chose to buy one for dd at 6 and don't regret it, but I also bought a dedicated booster.

Athena

The funds aren't the issue ATM. It's the practicality of it. Even if we only get 6 more months of harness time in the FR90, I could just use it as a booster, right? It's a bit of an expensive booster, but it's perfect if it's comfy IMO.

If he's just outgrowing the Nauti, he should have quite a bit more than 6 months left in the Frontier, 85 or 90. I htink my almost 7 yo outgrew her nauti during Kindergarten, so more than a year ago, and is still in the 85 (20" vs. Nauti's 18.5"). Although at almost 7 yo she doesn't have much room left in it, but she's tall. On the other hand, it sounds like he'd be fine in a booster and there are some good options out there including a new Britax booster coming out soon, but if you're more comfortable with the harnessed Frontier and you have the money for it...

I find it hard to move to a booster too, so I get it. My almost 7 yo does ride in one in secondary vehicles, but not until she was 6.5 and she'll be harnessed in my car until she outgrows it, but that's easy to say when she almost has and my car has terrible booster incompatibility issues. If I had lots of good booster options, I might feel differently.

Have you considered a FR85? It makes a taller HBB and is quite a bit lighter (19.5 pounds vs. 25 ... for me that's enough to really feel the difference, but they're both bulky, so maybe not for GMa's car) than the 90, so it might be a better investment if you're buying it for its booster use. HTH!

tiggercat

Are YOU not ready, or is the CHILD not ready? Two different issues; IMO.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

P1ally

Are YOU not ready, or is the CHILD not ready? Two different issues; IMO.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

I'm not ready, hence the title.

Tried the fr90 in my car last night. Doesn't fit. DS had at least 4 inches in the store, but I couldn't extend it all the way in my prius. *sigh*

aept

Almost 7, 48 lbs, 48 inches, mature, not wiggly.

Booster him! In your car first. He will probably do a stellar job with training. He sounds ready for the responsibility!
My oldest is 7 in August. He has been boostered in all cars for about half a year, training on and off since he turned 5. It is great. He knows the rules and I can send him and his booster in others' cars at my discretion.

A little thing that helped me feel better about moving to boosters was the whole neck loading thing. My DS1 has such a big noggin I figured in that aspect things might even be safer for him in a seat belt than a harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Athena

I'm not ready, hence the title.

Tried the fr90 in my car last night. Doesn't fit. DS had at least 4 inches in the store, but I couldn't extend it all the way in my prius. *sigh*

That's one thing I don't like about that seat, the wings stick up so high, especially with that big button on the top. If you really want to keep him harnessed, it sounds like your only option is the FR85. I really do get how you feel about keeping him harnessed, but I think even I would try booster training him and see how it goes, especially if you need two new seats. You could still get one FR85 if after trying a booster, you still feel more comfortable with that and then you'll have it to use as a tall booster later (although it sounds like you wouldn't get the full booster height use in your car). HTH.

Athena

You're not alone! I just checked my 6.5yo in her Frontier and she's getting close to outgrowing the harness (and it didn't look like she had more room in the new 90), so she'll have to come out of a harness soon and I'm not ready either! Part of why I'm not ready is lack of booster options that work with my car. The only one that works well is her FR85 in booster mode, but it's so wide and she's so narrow. :crying::crying:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC