Question About to outgrow Regent, is the Frontier 85 taller in real life use?

J-max

CPST Instructor
my DD#3 (just turned 6 and about 65 lbs) is almost even with the top slots in the regent when it is installed (post advisory, so with recline bar, in the 3rd row of a 80 suburban). I would prefer to keep her harnessed if possible. She is still a frequent car sleeper, plus I will be going to a 3 across in the 3rd row, I hope in late summer, so it would be much easier if she stayed harnessed.

So I am wondering in real life practice, how much more room does the Frontier 85 give? She does fit well in a Monterey, and OK in the GN in booster mode.

So WWYD? Booster her or get a Frontier 85?

ADS

LuvBug

Sadly since the recline bar is necessary it takes away SO much of the harness height in the regent. The slots in the regent and FR85 are technically the same height, but the FR85 installs upright and so you actually get to use all the slot.

DS has both a pre-advisory regent and an FR85 and fits in both with the same amount of growing room.

HTH

My DS outgrew the Frontier 80 before his Regent by about 6 months. I just moved him from his Regent and he is 8 and 67 lbs. I don't know what the Frontier 85 is like but if it's the same as the 80 than I'm thinking you won't have much time if any in the 85. HTH

J-max

CPST Instructor
Hmm, I think I need to go find an 85 and play with it. So anybody have any idea about how much growing room between the regent (installed with recline bar) and the 85 installed, on average?

J-max

CPST Instructor
Sadly since the recline bar is necessary it takes away SO much of the harness height in the regent. The slots in the regent and FR85 are technically the same height, but the FR85 installs upright and so you actually get to use all the slot.

DS has both a pre-advisory regent and an FR85 and fits in both with the same amount of growing room.

HTH

So that adds about an inch of growing room, then or more do you think?

ahgirls

It just means should have set up a different time to meet. No such thing as to much car seat time. I have rstv coming my way. Thanks to another member here.

LuvBug

No idea how much difference it would be... I can't promise it would work, but you could try the regent without the recline bar and that would probably show you how much room the FR85 would give you.

Every child fits differently in the same seat, but as I mentioned my DS has the same growing room in his pre-advisory regent and FR85. That would make me guess the upright regent would give a good idea of how much room you'd get from an FR85.

Of course this will require you to uninstall, reinstall improperly, check, uninstall, and then reinstall correctly... lot of work lol! But I think it is worth a shot.

J-max

CPST Instructor
No idea how much difference it would be... I can't promise it would work, but you could try the regent without the recline bar and that would probably show you how much room the FR85 would give you.

Every child fits differently in the same seat, but as I mentioned my DS has the same growing room in his pre-advisory regent and FR85. That would make me guess the upright regent would give a good idea of how much room you'd get from an FR85.

Of course this will require you to uninstall, reinstall improperly, check, uninstall, and then reinstall correctly... lot of work lol! But I think it is worth a shot.
Thanks! I have to have my seats out today anyway, so I will try that. Duh, I don't know why I didn't think of that!

HeatherDG

Any update on this? I have a 6.5 year old, 64 lb. son that has outgrown the top slots in his Regent. I need to get him a new seat fairly quickly. I really want to keep him harnessed but I don't want a travel vest. I'd go to a booster if I had to do so but I don't want to!

luckyclov

My DD had just about outgrown her Regent - we lost a lot of room due to the recline - so I replaced it with a FR85 a few months ago. She's currently on the last harness slot on the FR85 but has maybe 1/2-3/4 inch to grow. She's almost 7 years old, 47" and 57 lbs. Not sure how much that'll help you, but there it is.

J-max

CPST Instructor
Any update on this? I have a 6.5 year old, 64 lb. son that has outgrown the top slots in his Regent. I need to get him a new seat fairly quickly. I really want to keep him harnessed but I don't want a travel vest. I'd go to a booster if I had to do so but I don't want to!
No update, sorry! My MIL took the kids for the weekend, but brought up the extra Regent she keeps at her house, so I just used that instead of uninstalling and installing the one in my car. I will try to do that this week if I have time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC