A most excellent outcome story

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I know this probably belongs in the aircraft forum, but I felt it could really benefit from the wider readership here.

The following was posted in the Facebook "Car Seat Safety" group run by a few c-s.o'ers:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/carseatsafety1/permalink/492080030884877/

The gist of the post is that a group member has a friend who was on the Southwest flight which had an errant landing this week in NY. The friend had her son with her, under two - but in a car seat. Resultingly, he is fine and Mom is so glad she purchased him a seat!

We hear a lot of, "If the plane goes down, a carseat won't help." However, this is an example of when it DOES help - the non-fatal emergency situation. I thought it might be most helpful for those of us who advocate child seats on planes to have this story in our back pockets. :)

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes! That was quite a ”rough landing” (understatement I've heard several times)- I'm glad he was safely restrained! Yay!

thtr4me

My DH is a pilot and watched a video of the 'landing' from inside the plane. His take was "that was not a landing, that was a crash".

And that is so awesome that that mama purchased a seat for her DS, and he was kept safe when that happened. I have experienced a really rough landing, and cannot imagine keeping hold of a lap baby during that, let alone something worse.

Phineasmama

We had some really bad turbulence last time we flew and even that was enough to make me glad my kids were in their car seats :eek:

Squeaky McMurdo

An airplane hitting deer on the runway isn't really that uncommon either and that is a situation where I certainly want my little ones in a carseat!

Squeaky McMurdo

My dad is a pilot for a multistate hospital tranfer company and says he sees them on the runway in Billings, MT at least twice a week. An airliner wouldn't be able to abort take off or landing as fast as a small plane. Hitting a deer can easily take out a wheel at the very least.

JlynnB

Deer on the runway are fairly common at some of the smaller airports in Michigan as well. I was on a flight that nearly collided with a family of three that seemed to come right out of nowhere, but fortunately nobody got hurt that day, deer included.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC