A few Frontier 90 questions

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
There are some seatbelts that do not lock adequately and would require a heavy-duty locking clip to take up all the slack. The ClickTight would presumably not be compatible with those. Since you have a 2005, it should technically meet the lockability requirement as it was mandated in the late 90s.

As for booster mode, it isn't necessary to lock a shoulder belt retractor, but it is usually fine to do so. In some cases, locking it can prevent the child from adding slack during a trip.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Wait, I thought the Click Tight locked the belt? Is that not correct, you have to lock the belt as well? So, it's just like the tensioning plate on my Aton base, which tightens but then you have to lock the belt?

featherhead

Wait, I thought the Click Tight locked the belt? Is that not correct, you have to lock the belt as well? So, it's just like the tensioning plate on my Aton base, which tightens but then you have to lock the belt?

That's not how I understood it, but I could be wrong. I understood it that if your belts do not lock, you can't use the seat. Not that you were supposed to lock the belt, just to make sure that they do lock.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
But, if it's a lockoff, pre-crash locking isn't the issue- just whether it locks in a crash.

So if it requires pre-crash locking belts, it's not a lockoff...

tiggercat

There are some seatbelts that do not lock adequately and would require a heavy-duty locking clip to take up all the slack. The ClickTight would presumably not be compatible with those. Since you have a 2005, it should technically meet the lockability requirement as it was mandated in the late 90s.

As for booster mode, it isn't necessary to lock a shoulder belt retractor, but it is usually fine to do so. In some cases, locking it can prevent the child from adding slack during a trip.

What if you had a 1994 vehicle with ELR sliding latchplate lap/shoulder belts? Can you install as in the videos, or would you need to use a locking clip (is that permitted), or would it be incompatible?

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Phineasmama

The manual says:
Compatible vehicle seat belts:

Lap-Shoulder 3 point belt
1. ALR/sliding latch plate
2.ELR/locking latch plate
3.Switchable retractor in ALR mode/sliding latch plate
(it says to use this you must switch the retractor OR use a locking clip)
4. ELR/sliding latch plate
(it does not say anything about a locking clip for this one)

Lap only
1. Locking latch plate

Incompatible vehicle seat belts:
1. Lap shoulder belts with top or bottom anchor points on vehicle door
2. Motorized automatic seat belts
3. Lap shoulder belts that have a separate retractor each for the lap and shoulder section
4. Inflatable lap/shoulder belts
5. Lap belts forward of the vehicle seat bight
6. Lap belts with a sewn-in latch plate that have a retractor that locks only in case of a sudden stop.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That's... odd. They don't even mention lap belts with sewn-on latch plate and an ALR. Nor do they mention a locking clip for ELR lap/shoulder belts with sliding latch plates, yet they do for switchable?

I think their manual was rushed...

Who wants to email Sarah Tilton?

Phineasmama

That's... odd. They don't even mention lap belts with sewn-on latch plate and an ALR. Nor do they mention a locking clip for ELR lap/shoulder belts with sliding latch plates, yet they do for switchable?

I think their manual was rushed...

Who wants to email Sarah Tilton?

I totally agree. It seems incomplete at best.

EmilyAnn86

Has anyone tried this seat in a 2003 Ford Windstar? I am trying to decide if I should return the Frontier SICT I bought from Amazon in late Feb and get the Frontier 90 instead. All of this talk about different kinds of seatbelts seems like a foriegn language to me! I have no idea what kind my car has.

Keeyamah

Has anyone tried this seat in a 2003 Ford Windstar? I am trying to decide if I should return the Frontier SICT I bought from Amazon in late Feb and get the Frontier 90 instead. All of this talk about different kinds of seatbelts seems like a foriegn language to me! I have no idea what kind my car has.

I've got a 2004 and it has the kind that you pull all the way out and they lock, in all rear seating positions. So I'd bet yours do too, unless they are broke.

EmilyAnn86

I've got a 2004 and it has the kind that you pull all the way out and they lock, in all rear seating positions. So I'd bet yours do too, unless they are broke.

does your car have weird seat belt stalks like this in the captain's chairs? I hate those things! They have caused issues with installing our Radians and the Frontier SICT (sorry the pic is so huge, I have no idea how to make it smaller)

Keeyamah

does your car have weird seat belt stalks like this in the captain's chairs? I hate those things! They have caused issues with installing our Radians and the Frontier SICT (sorry the pic is so huge, I have no idea how to make it smaller)

Well, shoot, I just double checked, and I've got a Freestar, not a Windstar...not sure how much of a difference there is. And I've got a bench there, no rear passenger captains chairs, so no weird buckle stalks :( Sorry.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The Freestar/Windstar is one of those vehicles I'd love to hear a report on the fit of the Frontier/Pinnacle 90, exactly because of the long buckle stalks that are mounted slightly forward.

Athena

OK, sent. I'll let you know when I have an answer...

What did you ask about? Is it about whether the seat belt needs to be locked or about the other seat belt types. I have a similar question over in the technical forum. The step by step installation instructions on pages 8-9 (for using seat belt with click tight) do not instruct the user to lock the seat belt. Yet, it feels weird to not lock it and seems inconsistent with their list of compatible vehicles, although I may be reading too much into that. If I were to install it today, I feel I would be violating their instructions by locking the belt, but I emailed to check on it.

erind

I have it in a 2003 Ford Windstar. I have the short bench in the middle and it works great. I have not tried it in any other positions. There are no long belt stalks on the bench. I can post pics if anyone is interested. I can try it in the front passenger seat if those buckle stalks are the same.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The ClickTight system serves as a lockoff; this degree of simplicity is one of the main functions of the system. You do not need to lock the shoulder belt retractor, but you may do so if you wish. It is not unlike the built-in lockoffs in their convertible carseats in that regard.

As for use with some uncommon types of seatbelt systems, I am interested in the response as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC