Question 99 ford ranger ext cab

U

Unregistered

We are in Georgia and have a 99 Ford Ranger pickup truck with a very small extended cab. The back seats are the small sideways facing seats. When my 6 year old, 40 pound, 41" son rides in the truck we put him in the back using the seat belt but do not use a booster seat. The booster bottom is bigger than the bottom of the seat so it does not fit. If we were to use it there, it would rock sideways when he sat on it and he would be too tall for the seat belt to fit appropriately. Those seats are quite small and he fits in it very well as it is. I guess our other option would be to let him ride forward facing in the front seat in the booster (airbag off). I feel like he is safer in the back and according to what I'm reading about the law, if there are rear seats, he should be in the rear seat. However, we got a ticket for not having him in the booster in the back. But because there are seats in the back, wouldn't we have been in violation for him riding in the front if he had been up there? How should he really be riding to be as safe as possible? The booster in the back just isn't possible with the size of those seats.

ADS

CMeMeC

I would put him in the front seat, in a booster (possibly a nbb so he would be farther from the dash), with the air bag off. My husband used to have a truck like that and I hated those little seats.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Sideways facing seats have very little restraining capability. You just slide sideways out from under the belts in frontal or rear crashes, or go out through the window in near side crashes. They are not safe for kids or adults.

I'm not sure of the reasoning behind your ticket, but purely from the standpoint of safety, it is a wiser choice for your child to ride in the front seat in a booster.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
The side way facing seats can't have any seat installed on them. No harness or booster allow you to put them sideways.

The only safe way to transport your son is in the front seat with a booster.

henrietta

It is difficult in Georgia, b/c it isn't legal for kids under 12 to ride in the front seat *if there is a back seat*. I would fight the ticket in court, pointing out to the judge that b/c the law says kids must ride in the back seat if there is one AND the trucks manual and ALL child safety seat manuals do NOT allow them to be used on any side or rear-facing seats, you weren't really sure what to do, and thus, followed the law.

I personally think that the officer writing the ticket could have given you a warning and then explained that being in a booster was the most important part and that if the backseats don't allow that, the front seat is the better solution...but he/she probably isn't a CPST and doesn't know that stuff anyways. If he would have ticketed you for not using the back seat, you could have shown him that it's prohibited in the booster's manual for it be used on that back seat.

I know we had 25-30 law enforcement officers from our area in the CPST class I was in last fall, but I don't think any of them were from Georgia. I'm in Chattanooga, just over the line!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC