86y and vivo

momto4plustwins

How do I install an 86Y and vivo in the center lap belt only spot in my 2003 dodge caravan?

Also what is that weight limit on the TETHER for the caravan?

I called my dealer and htey have no clue.

ADS

Pixels

This is where you have to make a Tough Choice and a Parental Decision.

There are weight limits on the tether because that's all they're tested to hold. The Frontier requires the tether over a certain weight for unknown reasons. You can choose to (1) use the Frontier top tethered over the weight limit of the vehicle, (2) use the Frontier not top tethered even though it's required, (3) get a different carseat or vehicle so that the weight limits are compatible with each other.

momto4plustwins

This is where you have to make a Tough Choice and a Parental Decision.

There are weight limits on the tether because that's all they're tested to hold. The Frontier requires the tether over a certain weight for unknown reasons. You can choose to (1) use the Frontier top tethered over the weight limit of the vehicle, (2) use the Frontier not top tethered even though it's required, (3) get a different carseat or vehicle so that the weight limits are compatible with each other.

My head is going to explode. I so if i get a seat that does not require top tehter like a radian then after my boys are 48 lbs I "could" remove the tether.

Pixels

Yes, getting a seat that does not require a top tether is one option. Another that I failed to mention earlier is to install a heavy-duty tether anchor, available from EZon Products.

A tethered restraint allows less head movement in a crash. There is no currently published research showing that using a top tethered restraint over the limit is a danger to the passenger.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Sorry, just to confuse matters a bit more - the decision about using a top tether over the vehicle's tether anchor weight limits does NOT apply to the 86Y harness.

This is because the top tether on a carseat is a supplemental restraint for the carseat - it helps the primary restraint (lower anchor strap or seat belt) work better.

With a harness like the 86Y, the top tether is a primary restraint for the harness, therefore they cannot be used over the weight limits - no tough choice/parental decision there. :)

I've never tried the 86Y with a Vivo, so be aware that it's not compatible with all HBBs. If the "neck" on the Vivo is too wide, it will displace the shoulder straps on the 86Y.

momto4plustwins

Sorry, just to confuse matters a bit more - the decision about using a top tether over the vehicle's tether anchor weight limits does NOT apply to the 86Y harness.

This is because the top tether on a carseat is a supplemental restraint for the carseat - it helps the primary restraint (lower anchor strap or seat belt) work better.

With a harness like the 86Y, the top tether is a primary restraint for the harness, therefore they cannot be used over the weight limits - no tough choice/parental decision there. :)

I've never tried the 86Y with a Vivo, so be aware that it's not compatible with all HBBs. If the "neck" on the Vivo is too wide, it will displace the shoulder straps on the 86Y.
What would you suggest as a booster that works, I can put my 5.5 year old in that spot w/ booster.

Defrost

What would you suggest as a booster that works, I can put my 5.5 year old in that spot w/ booster.

I prefer to use with a backless booster, to be honest, although I realize that's not a good option for every kid or every seating position (sometimes you need the booster's headrest, for one thing!)

So, after five pages of searching google, I finally found a head-on photo of the Vivo Lite with the headrest raised. It actually looks pretty narrow, so I think it's a fair bet that it will work with the 86Y.

The only highback boosters I've tried it with are the Turbo, Air, Parkway, Monterey, and the Recaro Start. It's NOT a good fit with the Start and Monterey; it's fair with the Air and Turbo (just needs a bit of finagling to get the adjustments right.)

momto4plustwins

I prefer to use with a backless booster, to be honest, although I realize that's not a good option for every kid or every seating position (sometimes you need the booster's headrest, for one thing!)

So, after five pages of searching google, I finally found a head-on photo of the Vivo Lite with the headrest raised. It actually looks pretty narrow, so I think it's a fair bet that it will work with the 86Y.

The only highback boosters I've tried it with are the Turbo, Air, Parkway, Monterey, and the Recaro Start. It's NOT a good fit with the Start and Monterey; it's fair with the Air and Turbo (just needs a bit of finagling to get the adjustments right.)
Thank you :)

Defrost

Hey, isn't that a Vivo in your siggie? I spent all that time googling and all I had to do was find you LOL!

It still doesn't look too wide for an 86Y, though. Have you tried it with the Vivo?

momto4plustwins

To Defrost: Is a SRTV as safe as a LBB? I have space issues and a budget, and am faced with buying 2 radians for my 3 yo, but if the SRTV is as safe I can get the ETA, or TF for much less, almost half of the radians. Thanks

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Hey, isn't that a Vivo in your siggie? I spent all that time googling and all I had to do was find you LOL!

It still doesn't look too wide for an 86Y, though. Have you tried it with the Vivo?

No, I haven't. Haven't tried the Y with anything. Sad, huh?

Defrost

To Defrost: Is a SRTV as safe as a LBB? I have space issues and a budget, and am faced with buying 2 radians for my 3 yo, but if the SRTV is as safe I can get the ETA, or TF for much less, almost half of the radians. Thanks

You mean the Ride Safer Travel Vest? I think they'd be about comparable, lacking any comparison testing. No SIP, but in a center seating location, that's not as much of an issue.

In this case, it's more about whether there's a head restraint in that seating position. If you're comparing a backless booster + 86Y + no head restraint to a RSTV, the RSTV is going to do better for head support, because the child will be sitting on the vehicle seat, and get head support from the vehicle seat even without the head restraint.

No, I haven't. Haven't tried the Y with anything. Sad, huh?

I'm so disappointed in you! Get with it! ;)

TerisBoys

My worry with an 86Y and the Vivo would be the placement of the belt-guides. They're perpendicular to the back, on the bottoms of the headwings.

Unless you routed the harness without using them?

momto4plustwins

You mean the Ride Safer Travel Vest? I think they'd be about comparable, lacking any comparison testing. No SIP, but in a center seating location, that's not as much of an issue.

In this case, it's more about whether there's a head restraint in that seating position. If you're comparing a backless booster + 86Y + no head restraint to a RSTV, the RSTV is going to do better for head support, because the child will be sitting on the vehicle seat, and get head support from the vehicle seat even without the head restraint.

I would be using in the lap/shoulder spot for the 7 yo and the center for the 5 yo, he is under 60 lps and has room to grow before he is above the seat back

I have the three that could use the vest 9, 7 and 5, the older two would be in the lap shoulder spot with head reats. The other would ride in Vivo, with that combo who would you put in which seats/vest

Defrost

My worry with an 86Y and the Vivo would be the placement of the belt-guides. They're perpendicular to the back, on the bottoms of the headwings.

Unless you routed the harness without using them?

Right - you do NOT route the 86Y through the shoulder belt guides.

I would be using in the lap/shoulder spot for the 7 yo and the center for the 5 yo, he is under 60 lps and has room to grow before he is above the seat back

I have the three that could use the vest 9, 7 and 5, the older two would be in the lap shoulder spot with head reats. The other would ride in Vivo, with that combo who would you put in which seats/vest

Hm... well, the 86Y is a PITB with a lap/shoulder belt. It's possible, it's just difficult to buckle. My 12yo couldn't manage it on his own, and he's been buckling himself in 3-across situations for years.

So, your 3yo is going in a Radian, using the other center lap-belt, yes? With the "older two" you mentioned on either side of the Radian?

I'd put the 5yo in the center, either with the 86Y + booster, or the RSTV, and then the 7 and 9 yo in boosters on either side. In fact, I'd chose the RSTV over the 86Y + booster if that was the best fit, and avoided using the 86Y with a lap/shoulder belt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC