5.5y/o, 40lbs--Just wondering

dkdean

My 5.5 y/o is 40lbs and still fits well in the Britax Regent--just getting ready to move to the top slots on it. Just wondering what the research says in regards to the 5pt harnessing in the 5-8+ year group. I thought there wasn't much to support extended 5pt harnessing but I wasn't sure if that had changed since I last researched it (about a year ago). Since he still fits well in the Regent I don't have plans to change his seat (I guess except for an occasional booster seat trip in a friend's car?), but was more curious on the safety information re: 5pt harness vs boostering for a 5.5+ y/o.

Thanks!!!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There are no data showing one is better than another. So unless there's a need to change, you're fine just continuing with what you're doing.

Wendy

dkdean

Thanks, Wendy!!

With the whole Britax FF stuff, it had made me start thinking if it would be safer to trade out the Regents for HBB...but then I thought I outta check the other research first.

Also, if my car manual does not state anything besides checking with the car seat restraint manual for latch vs. seat belt past 40lbs, am I okay to continue using LATCH until 48lbs?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If your manual actually uses that wording, you should be just fine until 48 pounds. I can double check, though. What car do you drive?

Wendy

dkdean

Thank you for checking! I kept thinking there should be more specific wording and that I might be missing something important, so I really appreciate your help!!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd probably start booster training when your child seems to have the appropriate maturity. Once you're confident that the boosters you have fit well and your child rides well in them, I'd probably use them for other peoples' cars, etc. instead of moving the Regent. But if you're both happy with a harness, at that age I don't see a problem with using it until it's outgrown, or until you decide a booster is a better solution for your situation and your child is ready for it. My 6.5 year old is boostered for short trips, but for long trips, trips late at night, or times when she asks for it, she's in a harness. I think both are probably equally safe for her, the reason I use the harness for longer trips is that she still falls asleep on long trips, and it's easier for her to stay in position in the harness as opposed to the booster. :)

dkdean

I'd probably start booster training when your child seems to have the appropriate maturity. Once you're confident that the boosters you have fit well and your child rides well in them, I'd probably use them for other peoples' cars, etc. instead of moving the Regent. But if you're both happy with a harness, at that age I don't see a problem with using it until it's outgrown, or until you decide a booster is a better solution for your situation and your child is ready for it. My 6.5 year old is boostered for short trips, but for long trips, trips late at night, or times when she asks for it, she's in a harness. I think both are probably equally safe for her, the reason I use the harness for longer trips is that she still falls asleep on long trips, and it's easier for her to stay in position in the harness as opposed to the booster. :)

Good point on the sleeping aspect or being tired and not in position.

dkdean

Wendy--If it's not asking too much--Just reread the Jeep Liberty 2006 manual to check on the weight piece as well for LATCH. I do not see anything in their manual--does that mean I go with the seat (48lbs) for LATCH or with the 40lb lower limit b/c it's not explicitly stated in the manual? Thanks again for your help!!!!!

luckyclov

With the whole Britax FF stuff, it had made me start thinking if it would be safer to trade out the Regents for HBB
Just wondering what the "whole Britax FF stuff' is all about? Did I miss something?:confused:

DD is still happily harnessed, at 6 y/o and 52 lbs, in her Regent. She's still harnessed because she has low tone and also doesn't have the maturity for a fulltime HBB yet. But the above comment has peaked my interest...?

Maedze

Just wondering what the "whole Britax FF stuff' is all about? Did I miss something?:confused:

DD is still happily harnessed, at 6 y/o and 52 lbs, in her Regent. She's still harnessed because she has low tone and also doesn't have the maturity for a fulltime HBB yet. But the above comment has peaked my interest...?

Britax posted some embarrassingly poor (but not failing) scores on federal excursion testing. They met required minimums for the most part, but there was a significant gap between them and other companies' seats. I believe that impacted the design of their new seats, which are specifically engineered to reduce those numbers.

luckyclov

Britax posted some embarrassingly poor (but not failing) scores on federal excursion testing. They met required minimums for the most part, but there was a significant gap between them and other companies' seats. I believe that impacted the design of their new seats, which are specifically engineered to reduce those numbers.
Awesome.
Should I consider booster training (we have a SK Monterey in DH's car, or I have no issue buying a PWSG for her) over keeping her in the Regent? Or, is there a better option...or is the Regent still a safe option? WWACPSTD?

ETA: BTW, don't answer that last question...since it's the same as the OP's, pretty much! :p

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

There was also the thing with the convertibles having harnesses rip out of the shell in TC testing, but we don't know enough about that to draw reliable conclusions.

I'm okay with a Regent being used WITH the recline bar. I won't put my own kids in forward-facing Britax old-style convertibles (I'm fine with rear-facing) because of the numbers etc. but if that's all a parent had, it DID pass testing, if barely, so it is technically safe. I am just not comfortable with it when I have so many other options available to ME but again, if that's what you have and you have no other options for seats, don't feel guilt over it. Proper use is much more important to worry about than compliance numbers, IMO, because most parents are not using whatever it is that they have properly.

luckyclov

DD's Regent was manufactured in 12/07. It has to be installed with the recline bar, to my knowledge - and is (properly).

Now I'm a little more freaked out hearing about the harness rip out...that's, uhhhh, kind of a big deal.

I'm not sure what to do. I hate to buy another harnessed seat - she's 6-years old, 48-ish inches tall (with a long torso), and 53-ish lbs. She's not super slender, either - that's why we went with the Regent initially (and not a Radian).

She has a Monterey in DH's car. She's not in it often, but seems to do OK on short trips w/ cues/reminders.

I'm wondering now if I SHOULD start booster training...? Is the ParkwaySG any "better" than the Monterey?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Don't worry about the harness thing with the Regent. That was only with the Britax CONVERTIBLES.

At 6 if your child has the impulse control I'd want to have her start training, even if she usually doesn't use it, so she could in an emergency. The Regent can be hard to move from car to car, if you're rushing to the hospital I'd want to have a booster for her. But it sounds like you're already doing that.

The Parkway has the slide guard. It tends to fit smaller kids better. The Monterey often fits kids who are built wider better. It all depends on the build, really. My daughter uses TurboBoosters. One thing the Monterey has that the Parkway SG does not is the LATCH capability so you don't have to have her buckle it every time she gets out. (If she's using it without LATCH or is using a booster without that feature, you should train her to ALWAYS buckle her booster in EVERY time she leaves the car.) But fit is the most important thing-- she's safe in any seat that fits HER individual body well.

luckyclov

Ah, ok. Well, that brings me back onto the ledge just a little bit knowing it's convertibles.

I'm going to continue on for awhile with the Regent (w/ recline bar). It's a monster, but she loves it and, literally, *just* learned to get herself buckled properly (she has low tone) at 6 years old. I just would hate to spend $$$ on a Frontier85 (and, actually, in all honesty, I think I'm over Britaxes - less the Parkway - I prefer SK at this point), but I will if I need to. The rare times she rides in DH's car, she does rides in a Monterey (yes, it's anchored) and does fairly well with short trips. It seems to "fit" her really well, but I really like the SG on the Parkway. I wish the Monterey had SG because I also really like the LATCH feature.:rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC