4'9" safer in booster still?

M

MapleHeightsMom

I have an 8 year old who is 4'9" and 84 lbs. Technically of size and age for no booster seat, yet I don't feel he is safe when I see him in only a seatbelt. Is it okay to keep him in a seat for a little longer? Or could that actually become unsafe because of his size?
I just bought a Britax booster with a guide (mounted on the seat between the legs) for the lap belt, so as to keep it from impacting her vital organs in case of an accident. It is meant to keep the lap belt on the upper thigh area.. Does anyone know if that feature has been proven to be safer?
Any positive responses are appreciated. Thank you.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I have an 8 year old who is 4'9" and 84 lbs. Technically of size and age for no booster seat, yet I don't feel he is safe when I see him in only a seatbelt. Is it okay to keep him in a seat for a little longer? Or could that actually become unsafe because of his size?
I just bought a Britax booster with a guide (mounted on the seat between the legs) for the lap belt, so as to keep it from impacting her vital organs in case of an accident. It is meant to keep the lap belt on the upper thigh area.. Does anyone know if that feature has been proven to be safer?
Any positive responses are appreciated. Thank you.

Hi and welcome to Car-Seat.Org,

The best way to judge if he is ready to be out of a booster seat is the 5-step test:

Depending on his torso height, it is also possible he may have outgrown some of the shorter high back boosters. Models with the SecureGuard like HighPoint and MidPoint tend to be above average in height adjustment.

I do not know of any independent testing of the Britax SecureGuard clip to show it is proven to be safer than used without. In my personal experience, it does help keep the lap belt in the correct position. This is important, especially for squirmy kids.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Only a small percentage of kids (about a quarter) actually pass the 5-Step test at that height. Remember to check it in each different vehicle and seating position even when your child starts to pass in some seating positions.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kellys

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Maxi Cosi is a proud sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2021 Carseat Media LLC