4 yr old, 35 lbs, going to England

U

Unregistered

We're going to England in two months. My 4 year old daughter is 35 pounds. Originally, I was going to use the Cosco Scenera on the plane, in taxis, and then in the car rental we're getting for the last half of the trip. But I just found out that car seats are not allowed on the small regional flight we're taking for one leg of the trip.

So now I'm thinking- pack in my luggage a small backless booster (the Harmony Literider looks like it's okay for 30lbs?), use nothing on the plane except the lap belt, take the booster out of my luggage for the taxi ride to the hotel, and then use the booster for taxis around town, and then rent a car seat from the rental place for that leg of the trip....

does this sound like it will work? How unsafe is the Harmony Literider? I'm scared of letting her ride in just a backless booster, she's still in a 5 point harness seat at home, so I'm really nervous about all of this. Do you have any other ideas? Please help me out!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I would look at a Ride Safer Travel Vest type 2 for her. That way you don't need to rent a seat for her (it'll likely be a booster, since she's over three), you don't have to use a backless booster at all, and it's still compact.

However, I might still take the Scenera for the plane, and unfortunately check it if they ask her age. You're flying a British carrier? Her shoulders are still under the top slot?

Wendy

gigi

There are not locking seatbelts in the UK and top tethers are very rare, so if you are going to bring it make sure you have a locking clip (you cannot use lower anchors without the top tether).

I would actually bring a booster with a good shoulder strap, as long as the child can have an adult keeping an eye on her and repositioning her if necessary. I wouldn't use the RSTV because without locking belts or a top tether, the child will still have complete freedom of movement - my kids sit better in proper position in a kid-size booster seat rather than trying to be comfortable in the adult seat. I highly recommend the Boostapak for this purpose. It is perfect.

Last edited:

BananaBoat

I agree with Wendy on the RSTV. I know Gigi isn't a fan but we've used ours for many trips to Europe and it's been awesome. We have also loaned ours out to friends from England who live here but visit family often, and after using ours once they bought one for subsequent trips. Everyone we've loaned ours too ends up loving it.

O

Original England Poster

Thank you for your replies!

I like the boostapak- is there something like that that's cheaper? I like how cheap a backless booster is, and how easily it would fit in my luggage....

Cheerilee

I'm an expat, so I fly back to the UK once a year or so. My daughter is 4 years old and 42 lbs. We have a Ride Safer Vest. It fits her great and its super easy to fit in a carry on so you don't risk it getting lost if your luggage goes astray.

For what its worth, I have not yet come across a rental car in England without a top tether. If you should find the car they have given you does not have a top tether and you need / want one, tell the attendant and they will help you find a vehicle that does. I can't comment on locking car seat belts in the UK because we haven't used them, but the Ride Safer Vest is advised not to be used with locking retractable shoulder belts because they can progressively tighten around the child and make them uncomfortable. We usually use the Ride Safer Vest without the top tether and our daughter has always been able to sit appropriately. We started using it when she was 3. On highways I prefer to use the top tether, and we would definitely use one in the UK due to the higher highway speeds.

I prefer the Ride Safer vest over a backless booster because the vest holds the child securely and works in part by distributing the crash force of the seat belt over the area of the vest as opposed to the child's chest.

On the plane you could use the CARES harness, which is also super compact. We have one and I have used it a few times, but the horizontal strap that slips around the seat back moves her head forward into an uncomfortable position so she tries to unbuckle the whole thing and get out. We don't use it anymore because I'd rather her be happy and secure in the lap belt than cranky and trying to escape. That was our experience but if you're really looking for something secure for the regional jet then the CARES harness certainly works.

I personally would never rent a car seat anywhere ever. You will never know if they are broken, if they have been in an accident, if they have been thrown up in, etc. Some places are guilty of renting out expired seats. I'm one of the folks who would never trust a car seat if it has left my hands though, which is why I also never check car seats as luggage. This is why I'm grateful we can use the Ride Safer now - it never leaves my hands and its easy to carry.

Hope that helps a little. Have fun on your trip!

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC