4 year old portable car seat

M

moonmoon00

Hi! I don't drive but I am looking for options for my 4 year old in case I do need to hop into an uber with him, or we go visit family, etc. he is 42" tall and 43lbs. I was looking at the cosco finale DX but then I saw the whizrider vest, and it sounds almost too good to be true? A safe way to travel by car that can fold up and go in my bag? portability around carseats has been an issue for me since he was born so I am really tempted. but I'm uncertain about safety, even reading all the reviews, I feel nervous about how unprotected it seem.

anyone here have insight? thank you!

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi! I don't drive but I am looking for options for my 4 year old in case I do need to hop into an uber with him, or we go visit family, etc. he is 42" tall and 43lbs. I was looking at the cosco finale DX but then I saw the whizrider vest, and it sounds almost too good to be true? A safe way to travel by car that can fold up and go in my bag? portability around carseats has been an issue for me since he was born so I am really tempted. but I'm uncertain about safety, even reading all the reviews, I feel nervous about how unprotected it seem.

anyone here have insight? thank you!
Hi! The Finale is a nice, lightweight seat, but it takes up a lot of storage space. The Whizrider is still an unknown, and it doesn't have a tether. There are some questions about how it meets FMVSS 213 (the safety standard all carseats must pass). I would suggest the Ride Safer Travel Vest: https://amzn.to/3cZ3EWH. It's bulkier than the Whizrider, but still fits in a backpack and meets FMVSS 213.

M

moonmoon00

Hi! The Finale is a nice, lightweight seat, but it takes up a lot of storage space. The Whizrider is still an unknown, and it doesn't have a tether. There are some questions about how it meets FMVSS 213 (the safety standard all carseats must pass). I would suggest the Ride Safer Travel Vest: https://amzn.to/3cZ3EWH. It's bulkier than the Whizrider, but still fits in a backpack and meets FMVSS 213.
thank you! so the ride safer vest is as safe as a regular booster for his age & size? as someone who isn't too experienced with cars, I want to wrap him in bubble wrap and have him be as safe as possible.

M

moonmoon00

I just took a quick look at the ride safer vest- it is quite expensive for my budget but it does look portable. thank you for the suggestion

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
thank you! so the ride safer vest is as safe as a regular booster for his age & size? as someone who isn't too experienced with cars, I want to wrap him in bubble wrap and have him be as safe as possible.

As far as we know, yes. It clearly meets the relevant government standards in any case. Once he is mature enough for a booster full-time and is within any relevant weight/height requirements, an inflatable backless booster may also be an option, like the Bubblebum or Hiccapop.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheAmandaRowan

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC