35 lb 2 year old - what do I do?

Ninetales

I know I still have some time here but I'd like to figure it out in case I have to try to re-budget. My 2-year-old is just over 35 lbs, maybe more now because that was her weight two weeks ago. Looking at her growth curve she's put on five pounds every six months since she was born. If she continues on that rate she will outgrow most convertibles by the time our new baby arrives in August.

My options then are a Radian, a Foonf, or a Peg if I want to keep her RF another five pounds. The problem with this is that we really have very little money. Our entire tax refund went to pay debts and once the monthly bills are paid we don't usually have more than two nickels to rub together. Especially since I have to put aside money to pay a doula for the birth, and the birth itself is going to add another $4500 to our debt collection.

The most economical is the Radian. I really don't care for them. I don't like the company, I don't like the style, I hear as much hate about them as I do love. We drive an '04 Cavalier and may get an '04 Impala at some point, so we can brace it. But if we only get another six months out of it I just don't know if it's worth it, to use a seat I really don't care for until she's in a booster to get six more months.

If I turn her at the weight limit, she can stay in her MyRide for awhile yet until the baby moves out of the SR, and then I can get her a harness seat that works for us at that time, after having more time to save. And then at least a combo seat could be a booster as well, instead of wasting most of the RF time.

It really makes me nauseated to think of turning a 2.5 year old, though. I don't love either of my options here. I'd love some thoughts and advice.

ADS

momtotwogirls

Hmmm....stop feeding her....;) lol

For another 5 lbs I probably wouldnt get a radian. I would probably pat myself on the back getting as far as you did and save up for a Frontier for her.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Her weight could slow down. You still have five pounds and that could take months or years for her to get to! I honestly wouldn't worry yet. I would just reevaluate when she hits 38 pounds or so or when you're ready for your baby to go to a convertible.

If money is tight, at that point you could get a Nautilus for DD and pass the MR onto the baby.

I would just wait though. She has five pounds to gain before you need to worry. :)

hrice

If she weighs 35 pounds then she has 10 pounds to gain before she maxes out the Radian RF. That should be a year or more of RFing. That will get her to three or so. I am much more comfortable with a 3yo FF vs a 2yo.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Weight gain can slow SIGNIFICANTLY at 2. I'd start saving but not commit to anything yet until you see how she grows over the next while. Then the money can go toward a Radian or whatever if you want to give her that extra time, or if she significantly slows down, toward a FF seat later on. :)

Brianna

My godson was 25 pounds at 11 months and hit 35 pounds before 2 years- he's just shy of 2 1/2 now and he's been holding steady at 36 pounds for months, so there's a chance yours could slow weight gain too. I would go with a Radian if she hits 40 pounds before 3.

Mysweethoneybee

Okay I am not a tech or anything. But I tend to have giant kids. I mean really giant. My son turned 4 in October and he is 48 inches tall and wears size 6 pants (sometimes 7 for length) and wears size 8 shirts. I tried the Radian several times for him. I know it says 80lbs but my sons shoulders were too wide by the time he was 3 and I guess he has a big bottom because the Radian seemed to give him no leg support forward facing. So I wouldn't rush out and buy a radian because it doesn't seem to fit actual big kids well. Make sure you try her in one before you buy. If her growth slows down that is great. If it doesn't I think you would probably do better to get a combination seat.

Laurelz

I'd start saving now (still undecided about the seat but you know you'll need one in a few months) and then when the baby comes see where your at. :) if she can still fit in her seat then I'd wait.. I've found that rushing into a new seat ends up meaning you'll "settle" for one that works but you won't like it. :) that's been my experience anyway.

Ninetales

Hmmm....stop feeding her....;) lol

Don't think I'm not tempted. :D She's a bit chunky but tall too. Kid's just a garbage disposal.

I know it may not even be an issue, but I've been told "oh, they slow way down" after 6 months/learning to walk/1 year/18 months, and she never has, so it does worry me a little. It's what I do. ;)

Mostly because it's going to take an act of God just to get by week to week and also save for the doula. I don't know where I'm going to pull out anything extra to put toward a Radian. If she holds out until after the baby is born I can start saving then but if I buy one before it would have to be charged and added to our mountain of debt. :p

I hadn't even thought about the fit for a big kid. The only options I have to try one in person are over an hour away no matter where I go so I'll have to figure out when to do a road trip to check that out before I entertain the option. Luckily she's the best traveler I know.

Blah.

Brianna

If she does hit 40 pounds before you could afford a Radian, you will have rear faced past 2 and to the limit of her car seat. You will have met both AAP and NHTSA recommendations and she will be safe riding in a properly installed, properly used FF seat. That's more than a lot of people can say. I wouldn't fret about it no matter what happens.

ProudMommysince09

I can totally relate with having a 'healthy' toddler. My DD hit 40lbs a month or 2 after her 2nd bday, doctor said she is fine and healthy but I always got looks because she was really chunky :rolleyes:. But her weight did slow down and she is still hovering at 40-41lbs., she just grew taller and therefore thinned out a lot. I also thought 'is she ever going to slow down?' and she did, so I'm sure eventually your DD might slow down as well. I would start putting whatever extra money to the side and see how things go. Depending on how much longer she will make it (age 3 hopefully) I would just turn her and try to find a deal on a Frontier for her. :) Keep us updated!

April

Just chiming in to say my DS2 was 30lbs at 16 months, 35lbs at 26 months, and didn't hit 40 until he was two months shy of 4 years old. There is hope! I would even put aside $10 a month (that's only $2.50 a week) and at least maybe you'll have half the money for a new seat when the time comes. You can always look for a smoking deal in the meantime as well. Or ask for money towards a carseat for her birthday (from family or whatever).

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If she does hit 40 pounds before you could afford a Radian, you will have rear faced past 2 and to the limit of her car seat. You will have met both AAP and NHTSA recommendations and she will be safe riding in a properly installed, properly used FF seat. That's more than a lot of people can say. I wouldn't fret about it no matter what happens.

:yeahthatlove: Don't stress if you cannot afford another RFing seat. RF her to forty pounds and then FF her. Then, when you're able to start saving again, save some and you could buy a Radian and pass the 40lb seat down to the baby.

A properly used and installed FFing seat is still safe for a child over two.

Jan06twinmom

I hadn't even thought about the fit for a big kid. The only options I have to try one in person are over an hour away no matter where I go so I'll have to figure out when to do a road trip to check that out before I entertain the option. Luckily she's the best traveler I know.

I agree with the other people about waiting. If you believe prayer, you might also pray that she stops growing so quickly;)

I wanted to address the fit for a big kid. I was really impressed with how the Radian grew with my 97th+ percentile DS. My DS has broad shoulders and I thought he would be squished in there. However, he liked how the seat hugged him. He actually preferred the Radian to his Britax Regent for a while there. My DS outgrew the Radian at 5y10m old when he was around 48-50in tall (can't remember exactly) and 65lbs. He was hitting the weight limit of our seat at the same time he was hitting the limit of the harness straps.

I also agree that you might need the Britax Frontier at some point. My DS is now around 53in tall and 69lbs and he just turned 7 last month. He has some - but not much - growing room in the Regent.

Melanie

HaileysMommy

DD only gained 2 lbs from age 2 to 3. She was 29 lbs at 2 and is 31 at 3. Look at your grocery budget and find 10-15 you can cut out. Sodas, snacks, something you buy name brand that you could buy off brand...anything. Take that and out it away. Use only cash and take all your coins and put them away. It will add up quick. Then look for a used radian on fsot. In 6 months you could probably find one at a decent price. Good luck!

honeydew

I wouldn't think twice about FF a 40 pound 2 year old. If you have the means to purchase a 45 pound RF seat, go for it, but otherwise, pat yourself on the back and hold your head high for keeping your child as safe as possible. :)

If you RF to the limits of the seat, then you've done the best you can. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC