3 yo in Graco Affix

AZmamaof2

I am looking for some links to help explain the risks of putting a 3 yo in a Graco Affix. The seat requires 38” height and over 30 lbs, which the child fulfills. I feel in my gut that this is not the safest setup, but it would help to have an article that presents the risks to give to my MIL.

thanks

ADS

aeormsby

A 3yo is much safer in a harnessed seat. Not only is it safer to wait until the child is older for a HBB for bone development, but it's rare to find a 3yo that will stay seated correctly with the freedom the seatbelt will give (compared to a 5-point harness.

Here are a couple of links with more info:
http://csftl.org/harness-or-booster-when-to-make-the-switch/
http://www.justdrivepa.org/Resources/4StepsforChildSeatsFlyer.pdf

Also, depending on what state you're in it may be illegal (some state laws say a child must be 4yo or 40lb before using a booster).

AZmamaof2

This is what I found about AZ law. It didn’t seem to specify what type of seat:

Must be in child seat: 4 years and younger; children 5 through 7 who are 57 inches or shorter

Athena

This is what I found about AZ law. It didn’t seem to specify what type of seat:

Must be in child seat: 4 years and younger; children 5 through 7 who are 57 inches or shorter

Personally, I find the fact that it's illegal in some states and some countries (Canada) to still be a good argument for it not being safe. Laws are behind what we know to be safe and some places have gotten there before AZ, but that doesn't make it safe or change the laws of physics just because you've driven over that arbitrary state line. Depending on how stubborn MIL is, she might be receptive to understanding that. On top of that, a lot of 5yos lack the impulse control to sit properly 100% of the time, so it's unfair to expect a 3yo to take on that responsibility.

P.S. I'm speaking more matter of fact knowing that you aren't in favor of putting a 3yo in a booster. I mean no offense. Good luck! Finally, if it's your kid, then she doesn't have a say anyway. ;) Be firm.

AZmamaof2

I shared the links, and talked about my concerns in person. Thanks for the support. It’s not for my children, but for my nephew. The silly thing is that she has an evenflo sureride that I recommended a year or so ago, and that’s a high harness seat, so he would not have outgrown that one yet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlmatthews

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC