3 cars seat in a car

U

Unregistered

I have 3 children - 15 month old twins and a 3-year old daughter. My daughter will be in a car seat for another 9 months or so before she gets into a booster. I buying a 2nd car (we already own a mini-van) any suggestions for a sedan that we hold 3 car seats in the back seat? Any SUV suggestions? I would rather not get another minivan or an SUV?

Thanks

Steven

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The Chevrolet Impala has a huge backseat and 3 sets of LATCH anchors, and the Saturn Vue small/midsized SUV also has 3 full sets of LATCH anchors. The Vue could hold 3 seats but it's not as big of a backseat as the Impala. Really, depending on the width of the carseats, even smaller cars could fit 3 seats across. It's a matter of finding the right combination of carseats that would mesh well together kind of like a puzzle. I drive a Sienna now but used to own a Saturn Vue. My DH drives a 2002 Saturn L100 mid-sized sedan (no longer made but available used) and his car also has 3 full sets of LATCH anchors and could hold 3 carseats if they weren't overly wide ones. HTH.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Most any vehicle with a wide 3rd row should work for 3-across. Most full size sedans have a "Hiproom" specification for the third row of 54" to 57" and that should be very adequate. Be sure to try your carseats first, since sometimes seatbelt locations and seat cushion shape may cause a problem even in a wide back seat.

I have some recommendations for safe minivan alternatives in this thread:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=4847

scatterbunny

The Ford Taurus is also a nice, wide car with good crash test scores.

And something I thought I'd mention: your 3yo may be "big enough" to move to a booster in a few months, but she's safest still harnessed. And the funny thing is, boosters are not any easier to buckle in, especially next to other carseats. It is just too hard to fit your hand down by the buckle to get it buckled, and young kids can rarely do it themselves. My dd will be 5 in June, and you can see in my signature that she rides in both a harnessed seat and a booster. The harnessed seat is, by far, easier to get her in and out of.

Longhorn Lady

Not a Mazda 626, I can tell you that much ;)

I have a TB, a MA, and a Scenera, and there is no way that any combination will get all three of them in the backseat at one time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC