3 car seats help!!!

ks8511

Hi, I have read a bunch of posts on here about 3 across but I see none that have my car seats??

I have 19 month old twin girls who are in forward facing Evenflo Chase LX seats. I am expecting a baby in September, so my girls will be two then and stay forward facing.

I don't have a car seat yet for the new baby, but I can tell you right now that I will not be able to afford a very expensive one and I will not be able to afford new ones for my girls... I have a Suzuki Vitara right now and there is absolutely no way I'm fitting three car seats in that. I am on a tight budget for a new car.. $5,000 ... so I need to know, given the seats I already have for the twins and then an average seat for the new baby ( i could spend a max of $200 on a seat probably..) what is your reccomendation for a car that will fit them? :confused: I prefer an SUV!! Thanks!!!

Last edited:
ADS

D&L's-mommy

is there a reason that you're getting a larger vehicle rather than smaller car seats? It'd be much cheaper to get 3 new seats rather than a new vehicle, especially a larger one that uses more gas. even with some suvs 3 across will be dependent on the car seats you have.

J

jherlihy

I am in the same situation. I am finding that the Sunshine Radian convertible/booster seats are the narrowest (but these are pretty expensive). I'd be interested in any advice as well on which carseats are the "narrowest" (I have twins that are almost 4 years old, and 36lbs.) and a newborn. I hear the Maxi Cosi is a narrow infant seat but the most consistent thing is the sUnshine radian that is pretty narrow. We are buying a new FOrd Explorer....anyone know of seats that will fit???

D&L's-mommy

it's not always about which seats are narrowest, it's more about which seats "puzzle" well together,( overlap at their widest points to reduce the total width). I wouldn't know for an explorer, you could start a new thread on the general car seat forum asking what seats are recommended for almost 4yos and a newborn in an explorer. be sure to include if the twins are rf or ff, how tall they are, weight (you said 36lbs), which seats they're in currently, what your budget is, and what year the explorer is. you'll probably get some answers there

eta: radians don't make very good boosters, most people here would recommend that when a child riding in a radian is booster ready you get them a dedicated booster, so you would need to take that cost down the road into consideration too

MorgieBear'sMama

is there a reason that you're getting a larger vehicle rather than smaller car seats? It'd be much cheaper to get 3 new seats rather than a new vehicle, especially a larger one that uses more gas. even with some suvs 3 across will be dependent on the car seats you have.

Depending on the year and style of the Vitara it might be a possibility to get 3 across. I really don't see it happening though. I drove my brother's 99 or 2000 when he was deployed 10 years ago. That thing was tiny!

OP- the seats you have aren't very 3 across friendly. Also, why not RF the twins? 3 seats going the same direction will puzzle together better. Are you opposed to using a convertible from birth with the newbie? Although as a mom of 2 year old twins I could imagine that would be a challenge. 3 across on most vehicles can be achieved using the right combination of seats. Which cars are you looking at?

D&L's-mommy

Depending on the year and style of the Vitara it might be a possibility to get 3 across. I really don't see it happening though. I drove my brother's 99 or 2000 when he was deployed 10 years ago. That thing was tiny!

OP- the seats you have aren't very 3 across friendly. Also, why not RF the twins?
well, that answers why a new vehicle is needed :)

I guess this was my point, even if you get a larger vehicle you may still need to get 3 new seats.I would also rf the twins, I think you'll find puzzling 3 seats to be easier if all the seats are facing the same direction. are you open to a sedan? you may find a better quality sedan vs suv for your budget. the impala and taurus are decent for 3 across, with the right seats. would you be open to a van? with 3 kids it's much easier than having to cram a 3 across

ks8511

I NEED a new car because theres like.... 4 inches between my girls seats? And I got these specific seats because they turn into boosters for up to 100 lbs, plus they were cheap. No matter what seats I gets, it's never going to fit three seats. Plus I have a loan available for a new car, which I'm actually in the need of because the car I have now I've been having trouble with lately, and I doubt it's going to last me much longer... And I can't afford THREE new car seats on top if a new crib and everything else I'm going to need for the baby. I can't get a loan for these things. So now that I'm clear about why I need a new car, answers that don't question why I don't simply buy new seats would be much appreciated.

ks8511

Also I'm open to a van, but I'd prefer a car or an SUV. I'd really prefer an SUV because I do better when I sit up higher, I can see better. And no I'm not rear facing them, I'm not getting new seats. I make just barely over minimum wage, their father doesn't help out whatsoever, and I'm not at the point that I expect my current boyfriend to help me financially with the twins. Plus they'll be two when the baby is born, I don't find it necessary to rear face two year olds. I'm looking at third row vehicles now, I'm just having trouble finding any that fit my budget... Which is why I inquired on here about three across.

tmahanes

I think people were just trying to to help determine the most cost effective and safe answer to your question. From the things I have read I don't think those seats are conducive to a 3 across situation so that may be why new seats might be necessary.

Keeanh

Normally I would recommend a 3rd row vehicle for 3 kids. If you're looking at cars, Impalas are very wide, possibly wide enough. If you don't have much money for seats, you could get a Scenera or Tribute for your baby rather than an infant seat. They're cheaper, narrower, and last longer.

vangelder03

I NEED a new car because theres like.... 4 inches between my girls seats? And I got these specific seats because they turn into boosters for up to 100 lbs, plus they were cheap. No matter what seats I gets, it's never going to fit three seats. Plus I have a loan available for a new car, which I'm actually in the need of because the car I have now I've been having trouble with lately, and I doubt it's going to last me much longer... And I can't afford THREE new car seats on top if a new crib and everything else I'm going to need for the baby. I can't get a loan for these things. So now that I'm clear about why I need a new car, answers that don't question why I don't simply buy new seats would be much appreciated.

the seats you have make horrible booster seats. and will more than likely be outgrown with the harness before they are old enougth to be in booster seats.

Fallon

Have you looked at older Honda pilots you should be able to get an 02-04 in that budget Mileage will be high but it's a Honda and will last forever. You can Also fit 3 seats ( depends on the seats but ive seen it done) across but there is a 3rd row. Good luck!

nannykates

Congrats on the new baby! I would also look at the older model Honda Odysseys. I will go play with seats in my '01 accord for you later today so we can figure out how much room you really need. I really hope we can help you find a safe solution!

D&L's-mommy

since you're not able to buy new seats, but the seats you currently own will make it difficult to do 3 across in most vehicles (and I saw that you are looking into 3 row vehicles, but with a tight budget you may find a better quality car vs. suv or van, I've been there), perhaps you could contact your local police station, or safekids network, maybe talk to a social worker at your kid's doctor, there are programs available to help low income families get appropriate car seats at little to no cost. I understand that you have a lot to think about, so maybe being able to get assistance with car seats would give you 1 less thing to worry about? I also think financially it makes more sense to go straight to a convertible car seat from birth, for $40 or $50 you can get the baby a seat that will last for 2 years, maybe longer (specifically thinking about a cosco scenera or evenflo tribute, and they are fairly narrow), you can than wear the baby (which leaves 2 free hands for the twins) or use a stroller. if you really want an infant seat (they are convenient at times) the baby trend flexloc is the narrowest seat at a lower cost, I believe, if you are able to get a 3 row vehicle and don't have to worry about space the evenflo embrace 35 at walmart is $80 and long lasting, also the graco snugride 30 0r 35, or safety 1st onside air are long lasting infant seats). If you are able to get new seats for the twins you can always sell the chase seats they're in to get back some of the money you spent.
I also agree with an odyssey, pilot, impala or taurus as far as vehicles

canadiangie

Impala is very wide. I'm guessing you could get the girls' current seats plus a narrow infant seat like the Comfy Carry Elite by Safety 1st (be sure the harness has Front Harness Adjustment). Follow that up with a $39 Cosco Scenera.

Or, in the interest of promoting safety, because you know, you're on a car seat safety forum ;), you could buy three Cosco Sceneras and rear face all three in an Impala. Rear facing past age 2 is totally the norm around here. :cool:

Also I'm open to a van, but I'd prefer a car or an SUV. I'd really prefer an SUV because I do better when I sit up higher, I can see better. And no I'm not rear facing them, I'm not getting new seats. I make just barely over minimum wage, their father doesn't help out whatsoever, and I'm not at the point that I expect my current boyfriend to help me financially with the twins. Plus they'll be two when the baby is born, I don't find it necessary to rear face two year olds. I'm looking at third row vehicles now, I'm just having trouble finding any that fit my budget... Which is why I inquired on here about three across.

What a lot of people don't realize is that you sit up in a minivan too. Most SUVs now are glorified station wagons and aren't up super high like the old truck based suvs of many years ago.

cupcakepirate11

People suggested rear facing them because you can get a three across more easily that way. I'd try a convertible with a high base for the baby so it will puzzle with your others seats better which I'm going to be honest with you are horrible seats to three across in. Any car in your budget will still make it tough to three across. Do you still have a bucket seat from the twins? Could you use that for the baby and use that money to buy a narrower seat for one of the twins?

A cosco scenera perhaps, or a evenflo sureride. Using the bucket seat if you have one available without a base would buy you space aswell. Then save up and replace the second big car seat so when the baby outgrows the bucket you will have space for a third carseat

Three seats are cheaper than a car, but I do get that you have money for a car not seats. I'd look for a used Honda pilot, or a rav 4 or a Toyota Camry. But upgrading to a gas guzzler will kill your budget even more.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC