3 across Jeep Grand Cherokee

lovemyfamily

I am thinking it is a 1995 ish. Belongs to my next door neighbor. She is working on her DH for #3 and he is saying no, because they need a new car if they add a 3rd. Currently her kids are:
3yo Britax Regent drivers side outboard
1yo FF (Told her to turn him back but she won't) Britax Marathon outboard passenger
She will be probably be using a Graco infant seat or something similar. I have a Peg Viaggio SIP that I can play around with in her car. But wondering what is the best way, if at all, to puzzle these seats in her backseat. Or if there is a way. It would help her cause if they didn't need a bigger car.
She said the Regent has to stay driver outboard because if it is passenger outboard it blocks her view. So I am thinking, Marathon center and then the infant seat passenger outboard? Can they be up against the door? And is it correct that the seats can be touching, as long as they are independently tight? This would at least buy her a bit of time, before needing another car, as she would probably but baby in another Marathon after the infant seat. OR would she be able to make it work, if she got a Radian or something?
Any thoughts, experience, ideas would be appreciated.

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I had a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee until I traded it in for my van. I had a Marathon RF next to a bucket (Combi Tyro). I could fit a Scenera or Radian RF or FF, but the Triumph didn't fit at all. I don't think there is much of a chance of getting 3 across with a Regent in that car.

skaterbabs

Not with a Regent.

But I can fit a MA and two PWs across the back seat of my Cherokee. (Significantly smaller than the Grand Cherokee.) Three Radians woud be doable.

lovemyfamily

Not with a Regent.

But I can fit a MA and two PWs across the back seat of my Cherokee. (Significantly smaller than the Grand Cherokee.) Three Radians woud be doable.
No way she is going to get rid of the Regent. She had to give her DH special favors to get him to get it, and then they only had to pay part of the cost, since it was a replacement seat for one that was involved in a crash. HMM. Well, I can see what magic I can work. hehe

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
BTW, You said the Regent is passenger side outboard, but that year of Grand Cherokee only has one tether anchor allowed, and it's in the center position. Does she have it tethered to the cargo hooks?

lovemyfamily

BTW, You said the Regent is passenger side outboard, but that year of Grand Cherokee only has one tether anchor allowed, and it's in the center position. Does she have it tethered to the cargo hooks?

It is actually driver outboard, and she mentioned there is no tether anchor, wondering if it is a bit older than I was thinking. She said they have both seats tethered to cargo hooks. I haven't looked back there to check it out.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yes, in my '95 Grand Cherokee, there was no tether but I could have taken it to the dealer and gotten one installed (I had no FF kids, so I didn't). I don't think there is any good solution with that car, since I don't think the Regent would fit next to the Marathon, and the Regent needs to be in the center to be tethered. Having it tethered to the cargo hooks definitely isn't advisable or safe.

lovemyfamily

Yes, in my '95 Grand Cherokee, there was no tether but I could have taken it to the dealer and gotten one installed (I had no FF kids, so I didn't). I don't think there is any good solution with that car, since I don't think the Regent would fit next to the Marathon, and the Regent needs to be in the center to be tethered. Having it tethered to the cargo hooks definitely isn't advisable or safe.

I know they never had a tether anchor installed, this car was given to them by her DH's Grandparents after their other Grand Cherokee was totalled in an accident. When she told me the seat was tethered to the cargo hooks, I did the plug my ears and say lalalala. But she said, she felt it was better than not tetherd at all. If the rain stops this week, I want to go over and take a look at her seats, how they are installed etc., and put my Peg infant seat in there and see what we can do. I am with you, I don't think it will all fit, but it might help that the infant seat will be RF AND if I could get the MA turned RF, that would make more room. The Regent just takes up SO much space, but I think it would be worse in the middle.

lovemyfamily

When she turned him, just a couple weeks after he turned 1, I wasn't even sure if he was 20 lbs. She said he was, said she waited until his 1yo check up to turn him, but I sent her a ton of stuff on ERF and she insisted he was ok. I can't make her turn him back, but if I get a chance to mess with her seats, I am going to turn it. hehe

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC