3 across in small suv?

naomi76

My van is pretty much toast, so we're looking at replacing it. However, I'm just over the whole mini van thing. (No offense to any van lovers!)

Ideally, I would love to get a Chevy Tahoe. But, gas prices being what they are and the amount of driving that I do .... we just could never afford the gas bill!

So here's what I have:

* twins are 7 years old, approx. 48 in tall and 46 lbs. Currently in Britax Frontiers, but I am planning to move them to Turboboosters soon.

* 2 1/2 year old son who's approx. 35 lbs (not sure of height). He's currently in a Britax Marathon, but as soon as I get Turboboosters for the twins I'm going to move him to ODS's Frontier.

I would like to find something like a small suv, wagon, crossover, etc that I can fit 3 kids across. A 3rd row seat would be ideal, but not something that I'd like to use every day .... just to have in case we pick up cousins, etc.

ADS

julia94115

I *think* with two booster riders and a third still in a five point, you will be missing your mini van unless you have a third row....

bubbaray

I would not buy a small SUV (or Mazda 5) if I had 3 kids. I would only buy a small SUV or Mazda 5 if I had to transport 3 rarely (ie carpool).

I would stick with a minivan or mid-sized SUV. Personally, I would get a Highlander.

MommyShannon

The Frontier is one of the widest seats available. It won't accommodate 3 across in most vehicles. I'd look at getting a Radian since its so narrow and continue to rearface. Your 2.5 year old is significantly safer remaining rf. the Marathon isn't bad to sit beside because of the base. Is it a 35lb or 40lb rf Marathon?

emntheboys

A mid-size crossover or SUV is probably going to be your best bet instead of a small/compact one. Your kids are only going to get bigger! :p

I personally love my Honda Pilot ('08). My kids choose to ride 3 across but it is awesome to have that third row when you need it. I wanted a V6, front wheel/all wheel drive, head rests in all positions, lap shoulder belts in all positions, bench in middle row, more than 3 top tethers, DVD, & sunroof. The Pilot fit those criteria perfectly. The gas mileage isn't stellar, but hey, it's an 8 passenger vehicle.

My second choice was going to be a Kia Sorento, but the closest Kia dealer (for service) is 75 miles away. I think you can get a 4 cyl 2wd model of Sorento- that would probably get pretty decent gas mileage.

scoutingbear

I have 3 across in a Highlander. I am ready to upgrade to a minivan, lol. I think 2 turbo boosters and a Frontier is going to be very difficult, if not impossible to fit in an SUV. A radian for the youngest plus two boosters? There are lots of options.

tl01

What is your budget and what sorry if mpg are you looking for? I agree with many of the other responses... That a small SUV and three kids doesn't sound like the best plan. Maybe something a little bigger like a highlander... Would work better. You could always consider the hybrid version for gas mileage sake. I have rented small SUVs and one frontier and one ffing convertible and there wasn't really space for another seat... And everything felt so cramped.

I'm assuming you have an older minivan based upon the fact that it is toast;)... Have you looked at newer minivans... They have come a long way;)!

naomi76

hmmm...maybe I have the wrong idea of what sizes are in vehicles :eek:

To me, a Highlander or Pilot IS a smaller SUV. When I think SUV, I think of like a Tahoe, Denali, suburban, or Sequoia. The type of vehicle I was thinking of was like a Highlander, Pilot, Subaru, etc.

I didn't realize the Frontiers were so wide compared to the others. I actually can't stand those seats; they're huge and bulky and the seat cover comes off all the time...hard to buckle, too.

SavsMom

I would say Highlander or Pilot for sure, although you will probably have to go back several years to find one in your price range.

A Subaru may work, however many of them are not 3 across friendly. The middle seating position can be a no go with many car seats. My 2010 Forester owners manual even cautioned against using a seat there. Having said that the new Subarus are a bit better but they would be well above your budget.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
hmmm...maybe I have the wrong idea of what sizes are in vehicles :eek:

To me, a Highlander or Pilot IS a smaller SUV. When I think SUV, I think of like a Tahoe, Denali, suburban, or Sequoia. The type of vehicle I was thinking of was like a Highlander, Pilot, Subaru, etc.

Ah, I was about to reply thinking you were wanting 3-across with a small SUV like the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape, Subaru Forester, etc. This class of SUV is about the same as a compact car in terms of 3-across. It will be challenging and require narrow seats.

Midsize SUVs are a little more forgiving for 3-across, especially those with a bench seat in the second row. The Highlander has a small, stowable middle seat with captain's chairs on the sides and isn't as 3-across friendly as a model like the Pilot that has a bench. I have a Highlander and really like the stowable seat, as we mostly have it stowed to make an aisle to the third row.

I didn't realize the Frontiers were so wide compared to the others. I actually can't stand those seats; they're huge and bulky and the seat cover comes off all the time...hard to buckle, too.

The Frontier is wide, but it does puzzle better with some seats than other combination models (and worse with others of course). It's possible to get one in a 3-across in a midsize SUV, depending on the vehicle and the other seats.

Most midsize SUVs are not going to give you 18-20mpg around town, but will on the highway. Not sure what you will find at your budget, as Highlander and Pilot often command higher resale values.

Perhaps an older Ford Freestyle or a 6-seater like the Mazda5 that was mentioned or a Chrysler Pacifica. The Mazda5 would also be one that would get above 18-20mpg around town. Unfortunately, the vehicles that have the most room and are also relatively inexpensive and fuel efficient tend to be minivans...

emntheboys

Depending on your area, you may be able to find a higher mileage Pilot for under $10k. Keep in mind that they need to have the timing belt/water pump replaced at around 105k miles and that can be $$$. So if you find one around that mileage, make sure the timing belt service has already been done- or factor it in to your purchase agreement. :thumbsup:

jenia5412

I wonder, how about a Range Rover or Volvo CX90?

I don't think there's any way you could get an XC90 for under $10K. But on the off chance you did, yes, you could do a 3-across in one. Volvo does not allow car seats in the 3rd row at all (with the exception of no back boosters I believe), so it'd pretty much only be useable for adults back there.

naomi76

I've actually found quite a few, although they're older. The one in particular I like is a 2004 for $8000

Attachments

• image-3208239391.jpg
    image-3208239391.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 20

naomi76

Starting to feel so, so discouraged :(

It seems almost impossible to find something in my price range, that will accommodate 3 across, comfortable to drive (I'm only 5', so electric seats are kind of a must) and that doesn't have terrible reviews! :eek:

Every time I think I find something, there's something that's not right. Bad gas mileage is a big one. So now DH is trying to talk me into getting more of a car ... no, no, no.

Am I wishing for the impossible? :banginghead:

SavsMom

Starting to feel so, so discouraged :(

It seems almost impossible to find something in my price range, that will accommodate 3 across, comfortable to drive (I'm only 5', so electric seats are kind of a must) and that doesn't have terrible reviews! :eek:

Every time I think I find something, there's something that's not right. Bad gas mileage is a big one. So now DH is trying to talk me into getting more of a car ... no, no, no.

Am I wishing for the impossible? :banginghead:

I'd say look at a Ford Escape - the rear seat is very car seat friendly. A good majority have a power driver seat and they aren't terrible on gas.

Keep in mind that with your budget there are some things you may not get.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC