Question 3 across in a 2002 caravan

i will have 3 in seats come Nov
i want to put the captains chairs in the back and the three babies on the bench seat in the middle i have a safety first infant seat for newbaby a britax roundabout 40 for DD who will be rear facing at 14 months and a britax marathons 65 for for DS who will be forward facing at 26 months i want to put the Marathon in the middle with a RF seat on each seat do you think it will work?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't think you can put the captain's chairs in the back, though you may be able to put a bench across the middle row (I know it's been done for a 2000 or 2001, I believe).

Why is the 26 month old forward facing? I'd turn that child back around. The combination you have may fit, but it may fit better with the infant in the middle. Britaxes next to one another hit at the widest point, and so they don't puzzle well next to one another in a tight situation a lot.

Are you able to buy new seats?

Wendy

he is rear facing now i just don't know if i will be able to have all 3 rear facing if i can i will keep him RF but don't know if i can fit 3 in a row RF i have no money for new seats

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
You can't put the captains in the 3rd row. The armrests won't let them install with the wheel wells. We have tried it in our 2003 caravan.

We have stored our captains and used the 3rd row in the 2nd row. It makes your 7 seater become a 5 seater though.

The 3rd row seat is pretty wide and you can do a ton more with it when in the 2nd row, because you are not dealing with the wheel wells. We have done scerena rf, bv rf and a turbo.

My other suggestion is to take out 1 captain. Put a child in the other captain and other 2 kids outboard in the 3rd row. You can rf everyone for sure that way. You have space to set everyone in the van shut the door and buckle everyone up. I usually just climb into the drivers seat from there.

If you ff your 26m, he needs to be tethered. So in a captain or middle of 3rd row.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

i would eventually like to get a second bench seat and make the van a 8 passenger van i don't want to put my DD in the back if i don't have to she has severe reflux and sometimes chokes in her carseat if she was in the back i would not be able to see or hear her choking i have had to pull over and. take her out to help her breath before and i think it would be a pain to have a DS in the back with both captians seats in the way. so i may just store the captains seats until i can find a second bench seat

momtoo3

I would try the 2 Britax seats RF outboard with the infant seat in the middle. The Britax seats may puzzle with the infant seat since they sit higher. You will gain room when you move the bench to the second row too.

i tried last night if i have all 3 seats RF i can fit them on the bench seat but they don't fit with. the Marathon ft only. if RF if my DDs reflux gets better than. i may try putting the 2 bigger kids in the back thank you for your ideas

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC