3-across booster question

teekadog

This pertains to nbbs in particular.

We have a summer trip coming up that will involve car seat shuffle that no one is particularly thrilled about. We are waking up very early to fly cross-country then renting a minivan to drive 3 highway hours to our destination. I'm taking a radian to forward face my 7yo because I'm certain he will fall asleep for the driving portion and I don't want him slumping out of position. My older 3 (full time in 2 nbbs and a harnessed frontier for the past couple years) are advocating to take 3 nbb, put them 3 across in the third row of whatever minivan we rent, and the two older kids on either side will keep the 7yo awake or support him if he falls asleep.

As much as I want to, I don't really buy into that plan, but I promised I would ask here. I think the kids all want to buy new bubble bums to take, which won't be happening, but I could find it reasonable to purchase an incognito to go with our connext boosters.

Thanks for your input.

ADS

aeormsby

My 7yo uses a NBB when we travel, even though he falls asleep occasionally. On our last trip to CA he fell asleep on the hour drive back from Legoland. DD is good about helping him stay upright, with no one in the middle I had her pull out the center console just slightly so that he could lean on that. With older kids on either side I think it would work as long as they're willing to help him stay upright.

bnsnyde

My 8 YO (Incognito) is in the middle of the third row, literally squished between a highback and a FF carseat. I THINK it'd be hard for him to slump.

The 7 YO (outboard) slumped sideways terribly when asleep so she now has a highback, though a flimsy one (but it fit).

If the 7 YO fits a Radian that's awesome. My one son, at 3, got moved out of it because he looked too tall. Headrest kept slipping down anyways.

jjordan

Often rental minivans are Dodge/Chrysler, which are notorious for being bad for booster belt fit. Just something to keep in mind. Is there a way for you to find out what makes of minivan the rental company typically has?

Personally I would probably do just about anything to avoid taking a Radian on a plane, as the heaviness makes it a pain (literally!) to haul around. But I do know that others like Radians for travel, so...

teekadog

Last time we did this trip the rental company said we'd get a dodge/Chrysler van. I called a couple times to confirm. I went the extra step of practicing installs in my friend's Chrysler so I'd be prepared. When we got there all they had to give us was an odyssey. So I have no idea exactly what can we are getting and know that there is nothing I can do to find that out before being handed the keys. C'est la vie.

We will be taking a radian regardless because either the 7yo will ff in it or the 3yo will rf in it. If the 7yo uses it then we will have to take a coccoro for the 3yo to ff in. I much prefer the CCO over the radian, but I'd much much rather rf than ff. My dh would much much much rather just lug one car seat through our connections.

My kids are like me and would like any excuse to buy all the shiny new car seats, so they are advocating for NEW BOOSTERS FOR ALL!
Posted via Mobile Device

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC