3 across back of suburban???

mamah

right now i have 2 radians FF, both outboard for dd (Age 5.5, small) and ds (age 3.5, big), both in 3 row of 2006 surburban.

ds2 is RF in cosco scenera, 2nd row, passengers side captain chair. dh is tall, so a RF seat won't fit in the captain chair behind the drivers seat. we are planning for a little one due in April. i expect baby will go into the passenger side captain chair and ds2 will move to 3rd row.

sooooooooooo..... what to do? i want to keep dd and ds1 harnessed as long as possible. i want ds2 RF as long as possible.

will anything else fit RF in the back with 2 radians? except another radian?

and what to get for the newbie? i need a shorter (front to back) convertible with a high limit like the radian :)

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
First, you only have one tether position in the 3rd row of your Suburban, correct? So we really ought to only have one FF harnessed child back there if at all possible. A top tether isn't a requirement when installing with a seat belt (unless you're in Canada, then it is required by law) but it is extremely beneficial to the child's neck and spine in a crash and should be used whenever possible.

Since you already have two Radians, I would get an angle adjuster for one of your Radians, and put the toddler RF in the 3rd row with a Radian with angle adjuster, that should be upright enough to fit. Then put the other Radian FF in the center to use that tether position. Put the baby in the captain's chair like you were thinking, and then get a new FF seat (Graco Nautilus, Evenflo SecureKid, Britax Frontier) to put in the other captains chair so you can have it top tethered.

Or, option #2 would be to put a Radian RF with an angle adjuster behind the driver (even with the driver's seat all the way back, this should fit - there is a lot of room in a Suburban) for the toddler, put the infant seat in the other captains chair (then the kids will just climb in and out on that side before you snap the carrier into the base) and put the 3 year old FF in the center in the other Radian, tethered, and move the 5 year old to a high back booster in the 3rd row. There is no evidence that a harness is any safer than a properly used booster. By 5 the majority of kids are mature enough to sit properly in a booster seat.

Finally, just checking - are you using an infant seat that you've used with your previous kids? Don't forget to check the date of manufacture to be sure it is not expired.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC