2018 Sienna (3rd gen) and Second Row Recline

T

thebayRK

Hello,

I am moving my kid to front facing. The child-seat is a Maxi Cosi Pria 70. With his weight and height, I have to use the child-seat in position number two. I am using LATCH.

My question is, is reclining the second row captains chair acceptable? Vehicle is a 2018 Toyota Sienna (3rd gen).

I have read over Toyota's manual multiple times. I find it to be very vague.

However, I did come across two points:
  • (1) Fold the seatback while pullingthe lever and move to the rearmost
    recline position. (2) Widen the gap between the seat cushion and seatback slightly. (3) Latch the buckles onto theLATCH anchors. If the child restraint has a top tether strap, the top tether strap should be latched onto the top tether strap anchor. (pages 64-65)
  • When using the LATCH anchors for a child restraint system, move the seat as far back as possible (second seat only), with the seatback close to the child restraint system. (page 74)

I posted a pic of how I currently have it. With the seat back reclined, I can have the child-seat installed very tight using the latch system.

However, if I have the seat back at a more upright position, I find I am not able to get the child-seat very secure.

If you may please let me know. Would love to hear from others.

Thanks in advance!

seat.jpg

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Hello,

A few comments,

First, you may want to consider using the seatbelt for installation along with the top tether. You didn't mention your child's weight, but by the time many kids are forward-facing, they are also approaching the LATCH weight limit of their car seat.

Second, if possible, can you post the exact wording from your manual or a photo? Toyota often specifies the most upright position, if they mention it. For example, in many vehicles when you cannot otherwise get a secure installation, there is a trick that is sometimes used:

Obviously, if your owner's manual requires the vehicle seat back of the captains chair to be reclined, this may not be an option. But if it allows the vehicle seat back to be more upright, then try installing first with the vehicle seat back reclined and then once you are done, bright the vehicle seat back to the required upright position.

Hello,

I am moving my kid to front facing. The child-seat is a Maxi Cosi Pria 70. With his weight and height, I have to use the child-seat in position number two. I am using LATCH.

My question is, is reclining the second row captains chair acceptable? Vehicle is a 2018 Toyota Sienna (3rd gen).

I have read over Toyota's manual multiple times. I find it to be very vague.

However, I did come across two points:
  • (1) Fold the seatback while pullingthe lever and move to the rearmost
    recline position. (2) Widen the gap between the seat cushion and seatback slightly. (3) Latch the buckles onto theLATCH anchors. If the child restraint has a top tether strap, the top tether strap should be latched onto the top tether strap anchor. (pages 64-65)
  • When using the LATCH anchors for a child restraint system, move the seat as far back as possible (second seat only), with the seatback close to the child restraint system. (page 74)

I posted a pic of how I currently have it. With the seat back reclined, I can have the child-seat installed very tight using the latch system.

However, if I have the seat back at a more upright position, I find I am not able to get the child-seat very secure.

If you may please let me know. Would love to hear from others.

Thanks in advance!

seat.jpg

T

thebayRK

Hello,

A few comments,

First, you may want to consider using the seatbelt for installation along with the top tether. You didn't mention your child's weight, but by the time many kids are forward-facing, they are also approaching the LATCH weight limit of their car seat.

Second, if possible, can you post the exact wording from your manual or a photo? Toyota often specifies the most upright position, if they mention it. For example, in many vehicles when you cannot otherwise get a secure installation, there is a trick that is sometimes used:

Obviously, if your owner's manual requires the vehicle seat back of the captains chair to be reclined, this may not be an option. But if it allows the vehicle seat back to be more upright, then try installing first with the vehicle seat back reclined and then once you are done, bright the vehicle seat back to the required upright position.
Good Morning,

Thanks for the reply!

My child is 30 pounds. Per this child-seat, LATCH is no longer used at 40+ pounds.

The wording in the bullet points up above is a direct copy and paste from the manual.

I've screen captured some pages from the manual below. I've read through it several times, but quite possible that I am not understanding the instructions correctly.

That said, I will look into seat belt installation as well.

Lastly, I just read about mats under a seat. I will be removing mine ASAP.

Thanks in advance! Appreciate it!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I apologise, but the text is too small. I did find this from a google search:

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM08019U/pdf/OM08019U.pdf

The seatbelt install does not seem have the confusing wording, so perhaps you might feel more comfortable using the trick in the video above.

Car seat mats under a child safety seat are not necessarily prohibited unless stated in an owners manual. Obviously, if one is preventing a secure installation, you should not use it.

T

thebayRK

My apologies. I didn't think that the images would be shrunk down like that.

But you did track down the manual and that is the same PDF I am using.

I will try the method in the vid.

Also, didn't know that about the mats. I will look further into it.

Thank you for your help!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
No problem at all, thank you for visiting! As a general guideline, when neither owner's manual is specific, we would usually suggest a relatively upright vehicle seatback recline for a forward-facing car seat. If possible, a recline setting that as closely matches the bottom and back contour of the child safety seat as possible, to make the most contact between car seat and vehicle seat on both the seat cushion and seat back. Obviously, if either manual indicates otherwise, that is a rule that should be followed instead.

T

thebayRK

Thanks for that info!

Yes, I remember hearing about the seat being as upright as possible. My oldest is almost seven, so this is not new to me. Just new to me in regards to this particular vehicle and and my youngest child.

In the pic I have posted, the child-seat is very snug/solid. Child-seat is butt up against the seat back and seat bottom, no gaps. Just concerned about the recline.

Thanks again! I truly appreciate the time you've taken to reply.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Step 1 on Page 64 of the link I included for the 2018 Sienna says:

"Fold the seatback while pulling the lever. Return the seatback and secure it at the 1st lock position (most upright position)."

I wonder if they have revised the manual from the one that came with your Sienna? If you are concerned, you would need to contact Toyota about this discrepancy. Using the seatbelt for installation instead of the LATCH system seems to eliminate the instructions about seat back angle, if I read it correctly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC