2014 Toyota Highlander

msg221

My friend just bought one last night (the XLE) and I just want to say how much I love it, despite this: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=263819&highlight=2014+Toyota+Highlander

I would have loved one but I knew it was out of our price range when we went looking for an SUV to replace DH's Tundra. We had just bought an Accord (which DH now drives) to replace a Sorento back in December and we needed to keep the payments low on the CR-V we ended up with. Maybe in a few years I can get one! They weren't offering any 0%/1.9% deals for financing, probably since it's so new and because they have apparently been selling well enough that there is no need to offer incentives.

Anyway, I drove it last night and it is a nice ride and unbelievably quiet inside! I love everything about it: the big 8" screen, the Bluetooth, the color of the whole instrument panel, especially at night where it is a calming, soft blue color, comfortable seats, lots of room in the second row, the sliding second row, the cargo room, and lots more!

She traded her '09 Sienna in for this. She is much happier to not have the "soccer mom minivan" anymore but was definitely happy to have it when Nour & Zain were infants.

Anyway, I just wanted to say how much I love the newly redesigned Highlander. I had a 2003 that I had for ten years and it served me well. Never had any problems with it at all and it only required routine maintenance. I hope the same holds for the 2014 model!

My only complaint was being at the dealership for so long that it was midnight when she finally dropped me off at home!

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I'm getting a hybrid version for review tomorrow. Too bad the price of entry is now over $30K, and at least $45K if you want a model with all the safety features or a hybrid.

CaseyRN

I know they redesigned for 14 but I just wanna say we LOVE our Highlanders! DH drives my old 04 Highlander and I drive a 13 Highlander. Love love love it!

henrietta

Is it possible to get a used one, older I know, for under $10,000? Are there any model years to avoid? I'm on the hunt to replace my Volvo (bad transmission). Don't know what I want yet....just that can seat 3 kids in seats easily, seat 7 total if needed, and get decent gas mileage (no behemoths for me).

msg221

I looked around my area and you can get a 2003-2005 for $10k and under. I had a 2003 that I traded in back in Sept 2012. It was a great vehicle that I had absolutely zero problems with. I did routine maintenance on it and that was it. No other mechanical issues at all.

I love the new 2014 as well. My friend bought one and is very happy with it. It was just more than we could spend so that is why we went with the CR-V instead. I can't really complain because it's a great car and it works well for our needs but I do still drool over the Highlander!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Is it possible to get a used one, older I know, for under $10,000? Are there any model years to avoid? I'm on the hunt to replace my Volvo (bad transmission). Don't know what I want yet....just that can seat 3 kids in seats easily, seat 7 total if needed, and get decent gas mileage (no behemoths for me).

Prior to 2011, the third row seat folded in one section, limiting utility. In earlier years the third row was optional and likely hard to find a used one with it at that price. An older Pilot or Freestyle maybe?

henrietta

Prior to 2011, the third row seat folded in one section, limiting utility. In earlier years the third row was optional and likely hard to find a used one with it at that price. An older Pilot or Freestyle maybe?

I tried out the freestyle before I bought the volvo...absolutely hated it. :) Ok to drive, but uncomfortable seats, a pain with carseats, and no leg room for the kids. I wanted to love it!! I was ready to buy it...then I drove it. No way. LOL

The Pilot is an option...am open to minivans again, too.

Thanks!!!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I tried out the freestyle before I bought the volvo...absolutely hated it. :) Ok to drive, but uncomfortable seats, a pain with carseats, and no leg room for the kids. I wanted to love it!! I was ready to buy it...then I drove it. No way. LOL

The Pilot is an option...am open to minivans again, too.

Thanks!!!

Yeah the legroom is an issue with all midsize SUVs. I think you will find the older Highlanders to be even smaller. The Freestyle was based on the same platform as the Volvo XC90, back when Ford owned Volvo, but likely lacked various creature comforts. On the plus side, the Freestyle would have been a lot cheaper on the used market than a Pilot I suspect!

henrietta

Yeah the legroom is an issue with all midsize SUVs. I think you will find the older Highlanders to be even smaller. The Freestyle was based on the same platform as the Volvo XC90, back when Ford owned Volvo, but likely lacked various creature comforts. On the plus side, the Freestyle would have been a lot cheaper on the used market than a Pilot I suspect!

I'm sure! LOL

I like the look of the XC90 and the comfort, but now I'm scared I will end up with another Volvo with a crappy transmission, b/c I don't really want to buy new. Most vehicles I'm going to look at are 5-10 years old. Have to start a new thread for myself! ;)

Thanks for answering my questions about the Highlander!

CarSafetyGuy

I'm sure! LOL

I like the look of the XC90 and the comfort, but now I'm scared I will end up with another Volvo with a crappy transmission, b/c I don't really want to buy new. Most vehicles I'm going to look at are 5-10 years old. Have to start a new thread for myself! ;)

Thanks for answering my questions about the Highlander!

Yup, I've blogged about the XC90 as quite possibly the safest vehicle at any budget, even today, but they are not known for their reliability.

DawgDad

Yup, I've blogged about the XC90 as quite possibly the safest vehicle at any budget, even today, but they are not known for their reliability.

It truly is a bummer...Volvo has the safest seats on the planet, but they have had the WORST luck with reliability in their vehicles.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC