2014 Odyssey earns Top Safety Pick Plus

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Best I can tell so far, only the Volvo S60/XC60 has received a Top Safety Pick + rating AND also received a 5-star overall rating from the NHTSA with 5-stars in each of the 5 separate NHTSA frontal and side impact crash tests.

A handful of other cars came close, getting a TSP+ and a 5-star overall rating, but received 4-stars in one of the 5 separate NHTSA crash tests.

MotoMommaNH

The mid cycle refresh Odyssey earned top honors in the IIHS crash tests. The tests included the new small overlap crash test where it earned a Good rating. It is the first minivan to earn these honors.

Btw... Watching the video of the small overlap is a little scary. I can see why it is hard for cars to pass this test!

http://m.autoblog.com/2013/08/29/2014-honda-odyssey-minivan-earns-top-safety-pick-plus-award-video/

http://youtu.be/Lz2lAbAM-mc

I totally agree about the scary part...look for the video on the Kia Forte small overlap crash test. SOOO scary...I think that one rated 'poor'.

bnsnyde

Is the van any different than the 2011 version? Would the 2011 pass? I am so curious!
I understand 2011-13 were pretty much the same van, no? No idea about 2014.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Is the van any different than the 2011 version? Would the 2011 pass? I am so curious!

All the ratings except for new small overlap frontal crash test are valid for 2011-2013 models. If there had been no changes, the IIHS would likely have carried over the result to the previous years of the same generation I think. The changes could be minor, or could have been made specifically for this test, we may never know for sure...

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
From the IIHS page:

The Honda Odyssey was re-engineered for the 2014 model year. Moderate overlap frontal ratings are assigned by the Institute based on a test conducted by Honda as part of frontal crash test verification.

tl01

It looks like it doesn't pass. I'll post the link later... From what I read it wasn't formally tested.. But in the test done it would have scored poor. I have intentions to trade my in for a 2014 in the next year or so. When I bought my 2013 I knew they were going to fix this issue but I had to buy at that time.

Small overlap crashes are fairly rare though.

tl01

It looks like it doesn't pass. I'll post the link later... From what I read it wasn't formally tested.. But in the test done it would have scored poor. I have intentions to trade my in for a 2014 in the next year or so. When I bought my 2013 I knew they were going to fix this issue but I had to buy at that time.

Small overlap crashes are fairly rare though.

Hopefully it's okay to post this link....
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-20...-earn-iihs-top-safety-pick-award-w-video.html

Scroll down about 6 posts.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Given Toyota's track record on the test, I would not be surprised if the Highlander would receive a marginal or poor rating. But as you said, it's not very common, and it's also a type of crash where mass helps you. So, especially in a heavier SUV or van, I'm not concerned enough to consider trading mine for that reason alone, although I'd definitely be concerned enough if shopping for a new vehicle.

On the other hand, those all-new 2014 Highlanders do look nice lol...

tl01

Given Toyota's track record on the test, I would not be surprised if the Highlander would receive a marginal or poor rating. But as you said, it's not very common, and it's also a type of crash where mass helps you. So, especially in a heavier SUV or van, I'm not concerned enough to consider trading mine for that reason alone, although I'd definitely be concerned enough if shopping for a new vehicle.

On the other hand, those all-new 2014 Highlanders do look nice lol...

They happened to have added everything I wanted to the 2014 ody except for Siri in the Car. So I'm tempted to get it now but feel like I should wait to see if they add it for 2015. I know Honda is on the list of participating manufacturers. I got a great deal on mine so I think I should be able to sell it after a year.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I'm not sure what percentage of all frontal crashes are small overlap crashes but "In a 2009 IIHS study of vehicles with good ratings for frontal crash protection, small overlap crashes accounted for nearly a quarter of the frontal crashes involving serious or fatal injury to front seat occupants."

The data was obviously compelling enough for the institute to add the test.

cstep11

I wouldn't trade mine in either. Apparently frontal collisions aren't my thing, rollovers, t bones and rear ended ones are ;p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC