2011 Honda Odyssey Carseat Q&A

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Now my 5 yr old (43 lbs, 44 inches) absolutely hates being harnessed after a recent long drive so we've just bought a backless turbo booster since it's narrower for the 8th seat, he's mature, never sleeps anymore- so far so good but I'm keeping a close watch. I prefer to have him in the middle since it's safer FF. After placing him in it, I noticed how much narrower that 8th seat is in the back compared to the front and it hangs off the sides about 3/4 inch each side near the back. Is that ok? I read the whole manual and didn't see anything about side hang in the backless booster (I know the Nautilus booster mode has to be on the seat 100%- but 80% was fine in harnessed mode, but this one does not say for the backless booster). It's also a lot harder for him to buckle the seat belt in this center jump seat since the belt latch part is a bit deeper. What to do? He's about to start kindergarten with the drive up drop off (which I've never experienced) and being faster in and out was a plus- but maybe not so. Thanks for the help!

If I understand correctly, you are concerned about the back corners of a backless Turbo booster being over the edge of the 8th seat in the second row center? As long as the lap and shoulder belt fit are good, I think that using the booster there should be just fine as long as the manual doesn't mention anything about overhang. Obviously, the seat belt buckle could be a convenience issue and there's not much getting around that. I often find my 6-year old gets into and out of his 5-point harness faster than his booster!

ADS

RhondaD

Yes, Darren- correct. It's the side hang at the back of the TB- there's plenty of room on the front so no over hang there. I went through the manual twice and didn't see it so anyone correct me if I'm wrong. I bought the Nautilus so we could use it for booster but I'd have to put him outboard to use it since it's so wide.

I agree on the speed and I could help him latch the harness from the drives seat. Maybe he'll get tired of the belt difficulty since we've only used it twice so far and agree to go back to the Nautilus :D You've answered my question. Thanks so much!

If I understand correctly, you are concerned about the back corners of a backless Turbo booster being over the edge of the 8th seat in the second row center? As long as the lap and shoulder belt fit are good, I think that using the booster there should be just fine as long as the manual doesn't mention anything about overhang. Obviously, the seat belt buckle could be a convenience issue and there's not much getting around that. I often find my 6-year old gets into and out of his 5-point harness faster than his booster!

bnsnyde

Radian RF seems too reclined for me behind passenger.
Switched to behind driver and braced it. Is bracing there OK on this vehicle?
I mean, the carseat is RIGHT THERE and there is a side air-bag. I want to check. Hope it's OK.

Also RF tethered to a hole in the metal on the driver's seat track. Removed trim.

Last edited:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Behind the driver, there should be no issue with bracing. The manual indicates only the passenger side seat has restrictions, due to the airbag deployment sensors that affect the front seat occupant.

Kecia might have some photos of the Radian in her review. I'll try my Radian XTSL behind the passenger this week to verify!

bnsnyde

Seems like the flat seats of this van make an upright install difficult.

But I simply couldn't get an upright enough install behind passenger.
Once I braced behind driver, it was fine. (And by that time I'd had 2 hours practice so I was really good at it). Even before bracing, it looked pretty good.

I got a solid seatbelt install.

bnsnyde

Any difference RF tethering on the driver's side?
The trim took more force to get off.
I wrapped the D-Ring strap but it's loose. Does not pull as tight as the driver's side.
Sort of awkward. And the strap does not stay under the metal part like on the driver's side. It slips UP near the black metal of the seat track.

It is tethered but I wonder if I overlooked something. Seems like the driver and passenger side are a bit different?
(Also, could you ever tether to the small rectangular hole by the seat track, and by-pass the D-Ring? The tether clip would have to go in upside-down to do this and it's nearly impossible to get out).

Right now I am not doing that option, but wonder if what I did above (albeit a bit loose) is OK.
The tether strap that goes into the seat itself is tight without slack.

Last edited:
G

gongo

Hi
I just got a 2011 Odyssey EX (no leather) and have a question about RFing tethers.

I have a Marathon RFing and I was able to get it installed in teh 2nd row middles (8th) seat. My trouble is with the tether. I've watched the video about removing the plastic piece under the front seat and looping the D ring through that, however I can not for the life of me get the strap around that piece!!

Is there any other place? Also, what direction, if any does the strap need to be going? Meaning, does it need to be out (towards the seat in front) or can it be going down or almost back towards the seat itself?

There is a U shaped bolt that the middle seat are attached to and I didn't know if I could put it there? I can try to take pics in the morning.

I am going to have the seat checked on Monday, but wanted some more info in case they haven't used the Marathon with the Odyssey.

TIA!!!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Hi
I just got a 2011 Odyssey EX (no leather) and have a question about RFing tethers.

I have a Marathon RFing and I was able to get it installed in teh 2nd row middles (8th) seat. My trouble is with the tether. I've watched the video about removing the plastic piece under the front seat and looping the D ring through that, however I can not for the life of me get the strap around that piece!!

Is there any other place? Also, what direction, if any does the strap need to be going? Meaning, does it need to be out (towards the seat in front) or can it be going down or almost back towards the seat itself?

There is a U shaped bolt that the middle seat are attached to and I didn't know if I could put it there? I can try to take pics in the morning.

I am going to have the seat checked on Monday, but wanted some more info in case they haven't used the Marathon with the Odyssey.

TIA!!!

Any difference RF tethering on the driver's side?
The trim took more force to get off.
I wrapped the D-Ring strap but it's loose. Does not pull as tight as the driver's side.
Sort of awkward. And the strap does not stay under the metal part like on the driver's side. It slips UP near the black metal of the seat track.

It is tethered but I wonder if I overlooked something. Seems like the driver and passenger side are a bit different?
(Also, could you ever tether to the small rectangular hole by the seat track, and by-pass the D-Ring? The tether clip would have to go in upside-down to do this and it's nearly impossible to get out).

Right now I am not doing that option, but wonder if what I did above (albeit a bit loose) is OK.
The tether strap that goes into the seat itself is tight without slack.

Hi, my apologies that I haven't gotten around to this sooner.

Am I correct that you would both like some clarification on using a RF tether? I can take a video in the next week.

carseatmom

CPST Instructor
Darren, can you measure the wall to wall measurements (upper and lower), and the floor to ceiling measurements (with the seats in)? My parents are considering one (and I'm pushing them that way very heavily) and they need to fit a very large dog crate in there and are wondering if it will work with a smaller crate next to it. Its all about the cargo room for them. They will probably leave the 3rd row folded 90% of the time. But it will be nice to have the option of it being there, when they have my kids! (current van is a 01 GMG Safari! Can we say death trap?! Horrible belts, 3rd row is sitting in the basement, top heavy, and more.)

Thanks!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I would say the minimum width is a hair over 48 inches at the armrests. The minimum height is about 41 inches at the bump for the 3rd row seat mechanism.

The problem is the cutout at the hatch that is shorter and narrower and has rounded corners. It's hard to determine what width/height would fit through it if you are close to the limits for both.

bnsnyde

I am now happy with my RF tether on both the driver and passenger side.
For some reason it was much easier on the passenger side.

And, I could not do it without a LOT of light and a flashlight on the driver's side. That really helped!

Caroline162

Wow, this thread is so great! Thank you!!

We are looking at getting an '11 Odyssey, as soon as we can figure out a way to get rid of our Expedition... I loved all the information about the True Fits in the 2nd row.

I wanted to check whether these would work:

We are about to have a new baby (who will be in a Snugride 32 - hate that seat and how huge it is, but it is only 1.5 years old and in perfect condition) and we have a 19 month old who will be RFing in a True Fit. Will these two seats fit in the 2nd row so that one of the outbound seats will still move to allow 3rd row access?

In the 3rd row we'll have a 4 year old FFing in an original Marathon and a 6 year old in a Regent. Does anyone know if a backless booster could squeeze between these two? I've done it in the Expedition (it's hard to buckle the booster, but doable in a pinch). We would probably use the other 2nd row seat for carpools/friends over, so it's not critical that we able to squeeze someone else in the 3rd row, but I'd like to know if it's possible.

Thanks!

Marvin711

I haven't tried all of the seats you own but do have a 2011 Ody so will add my two cents!
Not sure how wide the TrueFit is...we have a RF Marathon in the center 2nd row right now and it just barely allows the seat to slide up for rear access. A FF Radian and a RF/FF CCO have fit nicely there for us and still allowed rear access, as well as a Vivo and Harmony booster.

As for the 3rd row, I am going to say no on getting a backless booster between the two seats you mention. We have not had any luck with that...we've tried between Vivo and Frontier, Vivo and Radian (very close, but not quite), and Vivo and Marathon...the narrowest backless I own is the Harmony though so you might find something that fits!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Wow, this thread is so great! Thank you!!

We are looking at getting an '11 Odyssey, as soon as we can figure out a way to get rid of our Expedition... I loved all the information about the True Fits in the 2nd row.

I wanted to check whether these would work:

We are about to have a new baby (who will be in a Snugride 32 - hate that seat and how huge it is, but it is only 1.5 years old and in perfect condition) and we have a 19 month old who will be RFing in a True Fit. Will these two seats fit in the 2nd row so that one of the outbound seats will still move to allow 3rd row access?

I do not have a True Fit on hand to test, but the Snugride 32 is not a particularly large infant seat. Offhand, I see no problem with the two fitting center and outboard, leaving plenty of room for the other outboard seat to move. I can certainly try the SR32 in either spot if you wish.

In the 3rd row we'll have a 4 year old FFing in an original Marathon and a 6 year old in a Regent. Does anyone know if a backless booster could squeeze between these two? I've done it in the Expedition (it's hard to buckle the booster, but doable in a pinch). We would probably use the other 2nd row seat for carpools/friends over, so it's not critical that we able to squeeze someone else in the 3rd row, but I'd like to know if it's possible.

I think you would have a shot at it with a narrow backless, like possibly a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/BubbleBum-Inflatable-Car-Booster-Seat/dp/B004YCVW8E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314708525&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: BubbleBum Inflatable Car Booster Seat: Baby[/ame] . The main issue would also likely be having enough room for the child to reach the buckle stalk to buckle themselves. I'd definitely want to try this at the showroom or at home on an extended test drive, first.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I'll have a wrap up in a week or two at CarseatBlog, with some comments from my wife and daughter I hope.

Nothing compares to the 2011 Odyssey if you want seating flexibility for lots of small kids. Nothing. As for safety, top ratings across the board in a vehicle that handles and brakes very well for its size. You can 3-across almost anything in the second row. The entertainment system in the Elite is da bomb. What's not to like?

That said, I had hoped the 2011 Touring model had improved fuel economy and lower road noise than my 2006 EX-L, but if it does, the improvements are minimal. I also miss having a 2nd row center seat that stows away, but that's the price you pay for a bigger seat and a row that can do 3-across. I miss my folding front console, too!

Beyond that, I think the new EX version has all the features to be great choice for families who often have more than 5 people riding and still need room for cargo. Its also generally less expensive, roomier, more flexible, safer and gets better fuel economy than any almost any midsize or full size 7-8 passenger SUV with a V6 (with an exception or two in one of those categories, of course).

I'm really liking the quiet, smooth ride and great fuel economy of my new Highlander Hybrid (approaching double what I got in the Odyssey around town), but it's a big compromise in terms of seating and cargo space. None of the other midsize SUVs met my wish for getting significantly better fuel economy than the Odyssey. Why would I accept similar or less fuel economy when it also results in less space, less safety and less flexibility at a higher cost? Just to get rid of the minivan stigma? For most families that need 3-rows of seating, I think the best overall competition for the 2011-2012 Odyssey is a 2004-2010 Sienna or a 2006-2010 Odyssey, depending on your requirements for seating.

Caroline162

Do you think the Touring is worth the extra $$ over the EX w/RES? I did not see what would really justify the pretty significant price difference. For me, leather seats are the only must have "luxury" item in a vehicle, though the RES is nice for long trips (we don't ever use it for driving around town).

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I guess that is mostly one of personal preference. I didn't like the leather seats in my 2006 Odyssey. They were just too hot and showed more wear after 5 years than I liked. If only they had cooled leather seats! Anyway, for that reason, I find the EX to be the "sweet spot" for my tastes in terms of features vs. cost. The nicest thing to me about the Touring is the small increase in fuel economy, but my Touring elite doesn't seem to be all that much better than my 2006, if at all. I do really like the elite entertainment system, but I'd probably never justify it for purchasing my own van unless I got a great deal. For me, it's a lot cheaper and easier to get a portable DVD/ipod video player at Costco for $50. Each kid can have their own and use them with headphones for a fraction of the cost of a ceiling mounted unit. If they break, Costco replaces it! No worries about expensive post-warranty repairs!

tl01

Do you think the Touring is worth the extra $$ over the EX w/RES? I did not see what would really justify the pretty significant price difference. For me, leather seats are the only must have "luxury" item in a vehicle, though the RES is nice for long trips (we don't ever use it for driving around town).

We bought the touring elite for a few reasons. One, I love to listen to music on a quality sound system. I don't do aftermarket changes to my cars so the TE had the best stereo. I LOVE the blind spot indicator too. Plus, I don't want to worry about portable DVD players being projectiles in a crash. I prefer the HID headlights as well and having a built in GPS. The slight improvement in gas mileage is pretty negligible but if the other items are important then I'd consider a higher trim level. If not, save your money!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC