2010 Toyota Highlander

flick37

Hi,

We are considering buying a Toyota Highlander. I would love to hear opinions on this vehicle!

Is it easy to install car seats in it? I have a subaru forester now, so am used to dealing with some tricky install, and would love to avoid that in a new car :)

Thanks!

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
If it's the same as the 08/09 (and I think it is), there are no top tethers in the 3rd row. So, no FF harnessed seats in the 3rd row. I am doubtful any RF seat would fit there either so pretty much no harnessed seats in the 3rd row. So, if you will need the 3rd row for seats, this likely isn't going to work for you.

UAS anchors outboard 2nd row, none in the centre.

One cool thing is that there are vents for the 2nd row in the roof, above the windows IIRC. Great for rear-facers!

I didn't actually try to install any seats in the 2nd row as we excluded the Highlander for other reasons before we got to the point where we were testing car seats.

Why do you want one?

With two Toyota mechanics in the family, I always look to see if Toyota has a product I want before I move onto other manufacturers. The Highlander always gets quickly ruled out for a variety of reasons. What in particuarly do you like about it? We might be able to suggest alternatives or maybe confirm it's the best choice for you.

flick37

Thanks for your responses!

I noticed right away the 3rd row didn't have tether anchors, which is a definite downside. We don't really need a 3rd row, as we only have 2 children, but we thought it would be nice.

What we like about the Highlander is that it is a nice ride (my parents own a 2001), reliable, roomy interior -- DH is almost 6'4" and our children are taking after him. I also don't want a car that was huge to drive. We briefly considered a Honda Pilot, but it looked way too big.

I am personally still leaning towards the new model Subaru Forester. We have some friends who own one and plan to test it out. DH has it in his head that it is too small, but tonight, he was comparing the interior measurements of the highlander and forester and was surprised that there didn't seem to be much difference (except, obviously, the cargo room when the 3rd row is flat in the highlander). I am pretty loyal to Subaru, despite their tricky car seat installs :), though would be willing to look at a Toyota.

CaseyRN

I have an 04 Highlander and love it! No complaints whatsoever. I have easily installed a variety of carseats in it with no problems. I rarely use the
3rd row so it normally stays folded down. Plenty of cargo space for us, very nice ride....really I just love it.

I think everyone has different views on cars....this one meets all my needs so I am totally happy with it. In fact, it is the only car I have kept more than 2 years....I have had it almost 6 years now and it will be paid off in August...and no plan to trade it in anytime soon.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I drove a 2010 Highlander Hybrid this weekend. I wish I had time to try carseats in it, but I didn't. It didn't look like anything unusual in the second row. The third row is relatively small, but that is generally the case for any SUV this size with a third row.

If I could replace my van today, this would be the #1 contender for me.

Safety wise and overall, the Forester is a great choice, too. I just wish Subaru had a hybrid. AWD cars are ideal applications for electric motors in the back. You can still get traction and good torque in back and theoretically do away with the complicated differentials and transmission, saving money in the process. I don't think even Toyota/Lexus has gone that route with their hybrid SUVs, yet.

We were pretty happy with our 2000 Outback right up until it needed loads of engine and suspension repairs before we traded it. I didn't expect that kind of stuff at under 100k. I was also pretty disgusted that the new Outback was reclassified as an SUV to dodge fuel economy standards. So we went with a new Prius and now have that can o' worms lol.

flick37

I have been researching reviews of the new Highlanders, and there have been a number of complaints about problems with the brakes and paint chipping...so, I am not so keen on it right now.
Still feeling the subaru love!

I'd try driving the Pilot first before ruling it out altogether. It's the primary competition to the Highlander and seems to get more love. The Highlander is great cuz it's essentially a Camry and has most of what make the Camry such a loved car. Cept in wagon form. I really don't get the Venza, other than maybe it's prettier than the Highlander?

SavsMom

I think the Highlander is a good choice if you are only planning on having 2 kids in car seats at a time - otherwise you would want something a bit more car-seat friendly.

I have a 2010 Forester and :love::love::love: it! I find installing seats in it to be very easy - and there is still plenty of room for my front passenger - even with a rear facing seat in the back :thumbsup:

flick37

I have a 2010 Forester and :love::love::love: it! I find installing seats in it to be very easy - and there is still plenty of room for my front passenger - even with a rear facing seat in the back :thumbsup:

So glad to hear that :D DH is very tall, so hoping that we find the same thing with it...also, so thrilled to hear that installing seats in it to be easy...the 2004, not so much (depending on the seat...could NOT install a GN no matter what!)

flick37

I'd try driving the Pilot first before ruling it out altogether. It's the primary competition to the Highlander and seems to get more love. The Highlander is great cuz it's essentially a Camry and has most of what make the Camry such a loved car. Cept in wagon form. I really don't get the Venza, other than maybe it's prettier than the Highlander?

Well, that explains why the Highlander drove so nicely!! :)

tweetykl

We like the Venza because my dh fits a bit better then the highlander or camry.

Personally I love my Sienna, especially the sliding auto doors.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC