2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I remember when I bought my 2006 EX-L, I avoided the Touring edition mainly because of PAX. All the Touring owners touted them as the greatest thing since sliced bread at the time...

Hopefully by now, used ones of that era with that many miles may have regular tires on them already.

ADS

ellerysmama

Ah ha! Okay so 86 the touring model unless it's already been de-PAXed, otherwise go for a EX or EX-L if I want the 8th seat. And go for a 2006 or up if I want 5 tethers vs 3. *AND* make sure I budget for the timing belt replacement!

Thank youuuuuu allllll!!!! Seriously. --

Are the 2004's a different generation than 05' and up? I see a lot of those for sale, not sure if I should consider them or not, mileage around 80k.

:D

henrietta

I would actually disagree here. Honda in that model series did something very annoying. They put specialized run/flat tires on those cars at that trim level. Unless the owner swapped out the tires for the normal rim and tire, you are looking at easily $1000-2000 to change a set of tires...and it can only be done at Honda. Quite frustrating since there were some add-ons to that trim level outside the tires that made it a good buy...you just had to spend a little more at purchase to switch out all 4 tires. Those run/flats were NOT worth it then and definitely not now with the advancements of tires.

The ones I noticed for sale here had mostly already been "depaxed". lol But I read about that and totally can see your point.

:)

henrietta

Ah ha! Okay so 86 the touring model unless it's already been de-PAXed, otherwise go for a EX or EX-L if I want the 8th seat. And go for a 2006 or up if I want 5 tethers vs 3. *AND* make sure I budget for the timing belt replacement!

Thank youuuuuu allllll!!!! Seriously. --

Are the 2004's a different generation than 05' and up? I see a lot of those for sale, not sure if I should consider them or not, mileage around 80k.

:D

ROFLMAO :ROTFLMAO:

I'm so sorry!!

You do know that if you ask for someone's opinion on here, we will all give you one, right? ;)

And yes, 2004 is earlier generation to '05.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
.and it can only be done at Honda.

This part isn't accurate (the PAX system being a PITB is very accurate though). My local Honda can't balance a PAX tire even close to accurate. I have my favorite all around excellent mechanic install new tires when I need them and they are perfect. I had to have him fix the Honda install the time I had them do it.

DawgDad

This part isn't accurate (the PAX system being a PITB is very accurate though). My local Honda can't balance a PAX tire even close to accurate. I have my favorite all around excellent mechanic install new tires when I need them and they are perfect. I had to have him fix the Honda install the time I had them do it.

I guess it's a regional thing but here in Atlanta, the Honda dealerships are the only ones who can touch PAX. That's why we have a 2012 Honda Odyssey Touring and not the 2009 anymore.

safeinthecar

I guess it's a regional thing but here in Atlanta, the Honda dealerships are the only ones who can touch PAX. That's why we have a 2012 Honda Odyssey Touring and not the 2009 anymore.

That doesn't even make sense. The PAX system is a Michelin product that isn't even exclusive to Honda. They are also found on Nissan Quests, Acura TLs, and Toyota Siennas of certain trim levels from 2005ish-2009ish. Any Michelin certified shop should be able to do them. The PAX store locator thing says there are 30 authorized PAX shops in Atlanta.

http://www.michelinman.com/dealer-l...l_code=&isTireDetail=false&isYMMOSearch=false

MommyShannon

My understanding was the Sienna had a different brand of run flat tires. PAX were on Honda and Acura. While places may carry and be will ing to put PAX on, not many places have the special equipment to remove one from the rim and replace it. That's why it could take longer while you wait for an entire wheel/tire to be ordered to use. Especially once you get out of a metropolitan, reports were mostly only Honda dealerships had the equipment to do that.

DawgDad

My understanding was the Sienna had a different brand of run flat tires. PAX were on Honda and Acura. While places may carry and be will ing to put PAX on, not many places have the special equipment to remove one from the rim and replace it. That's why it could take longer while you wait for an entire wheel/tire to be ordered to use. Especially once you get out of a metropolitan, reports were mostly only Honda dealerships had the equipment to do that.

Yep...that's what we were told. MASSIVE headache for the majority of Touring owners, which is why so many have de-PAX'd.

henrietta

Yes, I admit I read this forum for years before eventually making an account because I was impressed at the sheer number of knowledgeable and passionate folks here.

I'm not an engineer, scientist, etc. (although I pretend to play one on tv! LOL). I've been on these boards for years becoming car seat obsessed (child passenger safety obsessed), fueled by losing 2 friends (one my best friend) and caring for my niece. But I certainly don't always understand all the studies and data...and the vehicle safety info is even more confusing to me. I love the discussions lately on vehicle safety. I'm learning a lot from you, Dawgdad, and as always, Darren. Now that you're posting, you are one of the many knowledgeable folks here and have a lot to add to the discussions here. :)

safeinthecar

http://www.michelinman.com/automotive-tires/michelin-pax.page

BookMama

Senior Community Member
So, say someone bought a 2005 Odyssey Touring without realizing about the PAX tires until afterward. ;)

Since the tires are super expensive, it might make sense to just get the vehicle de-PAXed the first time. Is that something that can be done through Honda? (The van only has 85K miles, so I expect to have it a long time and through several changes of tires.)

MommyShannon

So, say someone bought a 2005 Odyssey Touring without realizing about the PAX tires until afterward. ;) Since the tires are super expensive, it might make sense to just get the vehicle de-PAXed the first time. Is that something that can be done through Honda? (The van only has 85K miles, so I expect to have it a long time and through several changes of tires.)
That's what happened with our 2006. We did de-PAX the first time. At least in the past, Honda refused to de-PAX since they say it isn't approved. We researched on-line, picked rims and tires and had a local shop install them. You will have to either cut open the PAX tires to get the TPMS things out or buy new ones.

CarSafetyGuy

I'm not an engineer, scientist, etc. (although I pretend to play one on tv! LOL). I've been on these boards for years becoming car seat obsessed (child passenger safety obsessed), fueled by losing 2 friends (one my best friend) and caring for my niece. But I certainly don't always understand all the studies and data...and the vehicle safety info is even more confusing to me. I love the discussions lately on vehicle safety. I'm learning a lot from you, Dawgdad, and as always, Darren. Now that you're posting, you are one of the many knowledgeable folks here and have a lot to add to the discussions here. :)

Thank you! I'm so sorry to hear about your friends, but am glad to be able to learn from you too, as well as all the other regulars here. :D

DawgDad

That's what happened with our 2006. We did de-PAX the first time. At least in the past, Honda refused to de-PAX since they say it isn't approved. We researched on-line, picked rims and tires and had a local shop install them. You will have to either cut open the PAX tires to get the TPMS things out or buy new ones.

This is correct. We explored the route when we had our 2009, but in the end they wanted used ones in our area too much that they gave us an enormous deal on trading it in for a 2012. I avoided the need for new tires or de-PAX'n them. However, I have friends who have done it the same as Shannon explained. Many dealerships will pitch a fit over it, so hopefully you are in a metro area that has lots of shops who can get some rims (preferably Honda) and a good set for you. Expect to drop at least a grand or more to do this (if you can do it for less...SCORE!), but it will save you lots of money in the long run. Heck, you can put run/flats back on it if you want, but the newer ones they make that don't require special rims and seals.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
When de-PAXing, did you also acquire a 5th tire and rim to serve as a spare tire since factory equipped PAX/run flat models didn't come equipped with an OEM spare? (DawdDag specifically mentioned 4 tires and rims in the context of de-PAXing, but didn't mention a spare, so this has me wondering about the spare tire issue). And is there a storage compartment in the originally PAX equipped Ody for a spare tire to be stowed upon de-PAXing, or did you have to secure a spare in the cargo area and sacrifice some cargo space? I know AWD Siennas were factory equipped with run flats because the AWD version lacks the spare tire storage spot underneath the second row due to the AWD drivetrain occupying the space that's otherwise available in FWD Siennas. Since the Ody doesn't come with AWD, I'm not aware if there is still a space to stow a spare tire in a PAX equipped Ody. Inquiring minds would like to know for reference to help anyone researching and pricing dePAXing, like Bookmama above for her Ody. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC