2008-2009 Grand Caravan

Syllieann

My parents are looking to buy one. I already tried to talk them into ody/sienna instead-not happening. They would either get 2nd row stow 'n go or bench. Can the pass side capt chair be moved toward center? Where are the latch and tt? Anything odd/annoying? There will be a rf radian w/ angle adjuster involved. On the bench seat model, can an infant bucket get to the 3rd row? Or on the quad style can an infant bucket pass between the capt chairs?

ADS

luckyclov

I had an '09 for about a year and a half.

We had to replace the brakes (pads/rotors), twice, before it hit 10,000 miles. Yes - 10,000. One set of brake pads was covered under some "courtesy" extended warranty (minus a deductible) because it was a widespread issue, but the other set (and rotors) was not. I had AC issues and some kind of transmission leak. There was a couple of recalls - 2 or 3 for various airbag (sensors? I'm drawing a blank here...) issues. Horrible on gas - I averaged about 13/14 MPG (city).

Not the most child/child seat friendly vehicle in the world, especially in the 3rd row. We had lots of 3rd row issues - FF seats and boosters especially. The shoulder belts are set really far forward in the 3rd row as well which adds to proper fit issues in many situations. There's a complete set of LATCH in each captains chair and 1 off-center set in the 3rd row. The center 3rd row seatbelt is pretty funky, but if you can get a proper install with it, you can use the tether anchor. There are no factory-installed "extra" top tether anchors, but there is a part # to have one retrofitted. There's a thread around here with more specifics (jourdysmom is the author).

The captains chairs do not move "inward". The only way to the back is through the center walkway or you can stow 1 or both captains chairs.

It wasn't ALL bad.:p There was a LOT of cargo space and the floor compartments where the seats would go in stow in go mode were really awesome for storing projectiles (or whatever). The back up camera was HUGE.

ETA: You will NOT need an Angle Adjuster for your RF Radian (due to the seat slope). The Radian installs like a dream RFing. There is a suitable RF tether point if you install in a captains chair.

Syllieann

Ooh, good to know about the retrofit tether, off to check that out, it could make a big difference in seating options. I'm aware of the reliability issues but my dad's paradigm of the world is a little, umm, different. :eek: Bummer the seats can't be moved over. I may be able to talk them into the bench seat though.

luckyclov

I wasn't aware there was a (2nd row) bench seat option when Chrysler redesigned in 2008? I had a 2nd row bench in my old '06 (may have been an '05) Caravan and I loved it. There were two full sets of LATCH in that one. Because of the positioning of the bench, I don't think you'd be able to use the further-in side for boosters or car seat installations (since the shoulder belt came from the panel and had to be routed alllllllllllll the way over to the bench).

Emi's Mommy

There was no 2nd row bench available on the Grand Caravan from 2008-2010. It's all stow and go or swivel and go.

It's available as a bench in 2011, but that might only be in Canada.

Syllieann

Here's an '08 w/ bench. There are actually a few listed by carmax that are like that. Maybe it was an option that was done afterward? It's probably better to get quad though if the 3rd row doesn't play nice w/ hbb's.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC