2003 Dodge Ram 1500 2 car seats

P

Patricia

Hi was wondering if I could put one seat in the front middle and one in the back middle as we have 2 teens and 2 adults to fit as well there is a cinching latch in the middle

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

I assume it is the quad/crew cab? Also, it sounds like there are lap-only belts with locking latch plates in the two center positions, so those are locations where harnessed child seats would be ideal if everything else works out. Everything else is whether your vehicle manual allows the installation of seats in those positions and whether they are installed rear-facing or forward-facing. Top tethers are also a consideration.

If your vehicle has front airbags, you most likely cannot install a rear-facing seat in the center front because of overlap with the driver's airbag. A forward-facing seat would be safer in front, but wouldn't have the benefit of a top tether to keep the child away from the airbags to the greatest extent possible. There is likely a top tether in the center rear position, so if they are both FF seats, I would think the older child would be the better one to put up front (again, if allowed) as they would be less likely to be injured by impact with the airbag.

It sounds like this may not be your daily driving family vehicle, so also be aware that the lack of head restraints in the back seat would also pose a risk of whiplash to the teens or adults riding there. Hopefully someone with a LATCH manual will come along and give you more insight, too!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I believe Dodge is one of the brands that had the option to turn off both front airbags and doesn't prohibit a car seat on the center front seat. I'm going to call in someone with more expertise, though. :)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
2003 is the next body style up from mine. There is a key, but it is iffy if that would work for the middle seat. What seats? Age/weight of children?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC