2 year old gets car sick and complains of back pain in car seat

AEW

We moved my 2 1/2 year old from an infant car seat that clicks into a stroller to a Graco 4evr dlx that is rear facing about a year ago. The very first time we took her in it she complained of her back hurting and threw up in it. She complains of her back hurting every time we go anywhere, even short trips and has thrown up 4 times now. She never complained or threw up in her old seat and had never thrown up ever before that first time. I'm not sure what to do about this but I hate to see her sick and I can't keep cleaning throw up out of the car seat. Anyone dealt with this?

ADS

aporthole

What vehicle is it and what seating position is she in? Have you tried forward-facing her to see if that makes any difference? Back pain and even bruising along the spine seems to be a problem for some kids the the Graco 4ever. Many kids don’t have the issue but I’ve seen reports of it more than a few times with this seat specifically.

AEW

Interesting, it's a Honda fit (small hatchback) and she's behind the passenger side. Have not moved her to forward facing cause she's just under 30 pounds, but we've definitely considered it. we are getting a CR-V in a few weeks and that will be our primary car, so maybe the bigger vehicle with better air circulation will help?

MelodyoftheForest

I believe you can use the extra cushion in the bottom of the seat rear-facing regardless of the child's size in the 4Ever. Check your manual, and try it to see if it helps with the pain if it's allowed on your seat.

I wonder if the vomiting is because she's sitting up much higher than she was in the infant seat and can see the world moving by more. She is also at the same age that my nieces who are sisters developed motion sickness and had to be turned forward-facing. They had been in a rear-facing convertible for over a year when they started having trouble, though. You could also look into the Noggle to help get more air to her.

Trying different angles of recline could make a difference for one or both issues as well. Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jocelyn

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Maxi Cosi is a proud sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2021 Carseat Media LLC