Question 2 Radians and a...?

jenj

My youngest, at 4 months about 18#/26", is quickly outgrowing his Snugride (older version 20#/26"). Which is a bummer b/c both the older kids used it for the first year. We have two forward-facing Radians with the Snugride in between in the backseat of my Tacoma Prerunner. I'm not real interested in buying a Snugride32. I heard it might be a better fit to not get a third Radian and a Marathon might fit better in between. Is this also true for the Safe Voyage. Aren't they made similar? The height of the Radians in inconvenient rear facing, but I loved the V-tether and we made it work. I love the Radians, but never had anything else. I want high weight/height limits and it must fit FF and RF. Any suggestions?

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hi and welcome. Could you please clarify the make and model of your vehicle? I'm not sure if you mean you have a Toyota Tacoma pickup model, or a perhaps a Toyota 4Runner SUV? That could possibly make a difference in what carseats might be suggested by forum members specifically for your car.

You could also try out display model seats in your car at Babies 'R Us to see if a Marathon or Snugride32 or other convertible seats would be workable. The Marathon usually puzzles fairly well next to a Radian if both carseats are facing the same direction, but not so well if they're facing opposite directions. :twocents:

The FPSV is the discontinued Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe convertible model made by Britax and similar in size to the Britax Marathon, but with a slightly different base design and lower rear facing and forward facing weight limits compared to the current Marathon model. It used to be recommended as a more affordable alternative to the Marathon but not so much anymore due to the discontinuation. The most recently manufactured FPSV Deluxes were made in 2006/2007, going on two to three years ago, if you can find a new one for sale at all now. Since the FPSV expires 6 years from the date of manufacture, a couple years of useful lifespan is already used up right from the get go if you were to find one to purchase, potentially expiring before your child outgrows it.

jenj

First, thank you for the guidance. I'm incredibly new to the blogs. My truck is a 2002, 4 door pickup, which should have the same dimensions as the 4Runner, but I've never checked. The back seat is a flat, bench-style, three seater. I thought about going to the stores. The closest stores are an hour and a half away, and with three kids in tow, I'm trying to do as much research beforehand as I can. I had also just mentioned to my husband the potential early manufacture date for a discontinued line, but I didn't realize they would already be that old. I don't mind paying for the higher capacity seats, if I'm getting the most out of my money. BTW, Albeebaby.com still claims to have the FPSV. Also, my older children are age 4, 37lbs./41" and age 2.5, 29lbs./36" and I plan to keep them both in Radians.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
What are the ages & weights of your other children? How far are their shoulders from the top slots of the Radian's?

Do you have any extra room between the seats with the Radian's and Snugride? are they all pushing into each other, or is there some room between them, and between the outboard seats and the door?

jenj

The seats are touching each other at the widest part of the base because the base for the Snugride is so wide past the belt path, creating a hole on each side of the seat. (Does that make sense?) I actually can reach my hand in between the seats to reach the belt locks.I have about two inches of seat space left on the outside and I'm sure the shoulder room has some space, but I'm not sure how much. (The kids don't jolt when the door is shut.)
I just measured about an inch of shoulder room between the seats and the door frame. It's the shoulder room that will be the tightest fit. I think the truck seat width is plenty gracious for another Radian. One of our Radians is an 80, one a 65. Also, my truck does not have lower anchors, but does have at least the outboard tether hooks. I'm not certain about the center position.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'd put your baby and 2YO rear facing in the Radian's, and get a Nautilus for your oldest.

If they fit, and your oldest can get under the Radian's, I'd put both rear facing Radian's in the outboard seating positions and the Nautilus in the center - the rear facers are 5x safer than any forward facers.

If they won't fit that way, or your oldest can't access the center seating position, I'd put the baby in the center and your older two outboard.

Yes, there is a center tether.

jenj

As a harnessed restraint, does the GN provide SIP? We were set to buy one, but it doesn't claim SIP. Also, does the RFing angle on the Radian need to be the same now that she's bigger? When she was RF before, the seat had to be placed behind the passenger seat, and the seat moved forward. I'm not sure if the truck will accomodate one of them in the other positions, at the same angle. I'm new to the extended RF idea.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
As a harnessed restraint, does the GN provide SIP? We were set to buy one, but it doesn't claim SIP. Also, does the RFing angle on the Radian need to be the same now that she's bigger? When she was RF before, the seat had to be placed behind the passenger seat, and the seat moved forward. I'm not sure if the truck will accomodate one of them in the other positions, at the same angle. I'm new to the extended RF idea.

ANY 5 point harness provides SIP, and any seat with head wings and EPS/EPP foam provides additional SIP - the deeper the head wings, the more SIP there is.

So yes, the Nautilus does provide SIP.

You can install the Radian as upright as 30 degrees from vertical - only newborns (to about 3-4 months) need the 45 degree angle to protect their airways.

If the rear facing foot you have is the old style (made before I think October 2008), and you can't get them upright enough, you can order the new rear facing foot from Sunshine Kids, it's redesigned and it fits all the other Radian's that have been manufactured - it makes rear facing installs easier, and the ability to get the seat more upright is also easier.

jenj

Thanks for the info. I've been using elitecarseats.com to research seats. What standards do they use? I was referencing the compare chart on this site.

jenj

I was looking for a rearfacer that would puzzle well and not be as tall as our Radians. I'm not sure that exists in the extended weight limits. I haven't seen anything to win out over another Radian. My husband says go with what we know, SINCE we know we love our current seats and can make them work RF. We won't outgrow them. By the time my oldest needs another seat, I'm sure there'll be another rearend to put in this one.(And a Sienna to put us all in.) Thanks for all the info.

jenj

Note to Gypsy. I just used nap time to reposition my seats. The baby was getting harded to hoist to the middle so I went ahead and moved them around. Anyway, my oldest asked why I was putting the 2y/o back RF. Before I even explained he told me he doesn't want to look at me, he wants to rf. I hope she likes it that well. Not that I will change it back, I just want her to be happy, and safe. New config: RF radian (behind passenger), FF radian, SR (at least until we go for his checkup Friday). All are super tight with seatbelts and the Radians are both tethered. Thank you for the help. God bless.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC