Question '14 Ody captain chair width...

MamanMag

Hi!

Could anyone please tell me the width of the captain chairs in the 2014 Ody? I'd like to know if I could fit an FR85 booster mode there and still be able to move the seat forward to access the 3rd row...

TIA

Mag

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm confused about what you're asking. Are you wanting to put the FR in the centre and to make sure that you clear the outboard seat so that it can still move freely? I'm not sure that knowing the width of the captains chair will tell you that.. If I remember correctly, it rubs but it can move past it--maybe someone who currently has that setup can comment on their experience, as well.

ETA--are you expecting a fifth child? Why not just leave your centre seat flipped and have your big kids climb through?

-N.

MamanMag

I'm confused about what you're asking. Are you wanting to put the FR in the centre and to make sure that you clear the outboard seat so that it can still move freely? I'm not sure that knowing the width of the captains chair will tell you that.. If I remember correctly, it rubs but it can move past it--maybe someone who currently has that setup can comment on their experience, as well.

ETA--are you expecting a fifth child? Why not just leave your centre seat flipped and have your big kids climb through?

-N.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear :-(... Well, actually we already have 5 kiddos :) and I am looking at putting the FR on one of the captain chairs in a new Ody (that's the car we'd like if we succeed to sell ours...) Next to maybe a RF foonf... I would need to be able to move the capt chair to have access to the 3rd row. Does that make sense?

Thanks!!
Mag

canadiangie

Yes it makes sense.

Width wise you'd be fine - you can wedge an Ody captains chair forward with, for example, a ff classic Marathon on the middle 8th seat. But, I'm not sure that sliding a captains chair forward will gain you enough room for a kid to walk to the 3rd row, and keep in mind, sliding will only work if the Frontier is installed with latch.

Are you adding baby 6 to the mix?

jordansmom

I have DS's FR85 installed with LATCH (he and the seat are under the limits) on the passenger side captains chair in our '14 Ody. The seat is not in wide mode. Using the "correct" lever for flipping the chair to gain access to the third row doesn't work and sliding the seat forward on its track does not allow enough room for even my little kiddos to climb through. BUT, what does work is to use the lever to flip the seat forward from the front floor hinge. It's more cumbersome to do, and may be too heavy for a child to do, but its possible. We took my sister and her fiancée and my parents to dinner last weekend and used every seat I the van. Three adults climbed into the third row this way because it was too cold for me to move my kids seats around. HTH!

MamanMag

I have DS's FR85 installed with LATCH (he and the seat are under the limits) on the passenger side captains chair in our '14 Ody. The seat is not in wide mode. Using the "correct" lever for flipping the chair to gain access to the third row doesn't work and sliding the seat forward on its track does not allow enough room for even my little kiddos to climb through. BUT, what does work is to use the lever to flip the seat forward from the front floor hinge. It's more cumbersome to do, and may be too heavy for a child to do, but its possible. We took my sister and her fiancée and my parents to dinner last weekend and used every seat I the van. Three adults climbed into the third row this way because it was too cold for me to move my kids seats around. HTH!

Thank you very much Jordansmom!! This is very helpful!! I'm glad to know that it's possible!! Just out of curiosity, what carseat do you have on the +1 seat?

sunnydayz

We have a '14 Odyssey too. What works here is to designate one side as the pass through side to the back. A backless booster in a second row captains chair makes it super easy to get in/out of the 3rd row. Any chance you have a backless booster rider or older kid who five steps that you can put in a 2nd row captains chair to allow easier access to the 3rd row?

The Frontier 85 easily fits on a captains chair, but it is a much more difficult access point.

YinzerMama

I have found in some configurations I can flatten a captain's chair to get access to the back even if I can't slide it forward the normal way. If you slide the chair all the way back or all the way forward before flattening it will change at what point the widest parts of whatever are crossed. I can't think of a specific example but I have used that as a workaround. (I actually prefer to flatten vs slide the seats)

jordansmom

Thank you very much Jordansmom!! This is very helpful!! I'm glad to know that it's possible!! Just out of curiosity, what carseat do you have on the +1 seat?

I don't have anything currently on the +1 seat, although both my father and husband have rode there on separate trips! We are welcoming #3 in July and I am hoping to do three across, unless DS1 insists on riding in the third row. I would ideally put the FR85 in the center seat with my two rearfacers outboard. I believe I have read in the successful +1 thread that the FR85 does install well there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC