10 year old booster

mamab83

My 10 year old is about 5’5” tall and 80ish pounds. She’s currently still in a high back booster seat and I just realized the other day she may not even need that anymore (they grow so fast 😭)... at her age/height/weight should she have the back removed only, or the bottom of the seat also? I just want her safe.
My 8 year old is currently in a high back booster as well. Should the back of hers stay on or come off?
I also have a 5 year old, but he’s fine in a 5 point harness Still, I’m sure

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
My 10 year old is about 5’5” tall and 80ish pounds. She’s currently still in a high back booster seat and I just realized the other day she may not even need that anymore (they grow so fast 😭)... at her age/height/weight should she have the back removed only, or the bottom of the seat also? I just want her safe.
My 8 year old is currently in a high back booster as well. Should the back of hers stay on or come off?
I also have a 5 year old, but he’s fine in a 5 point harness Still, I’m sure

There's a good chance your 10-year old may not need a booster in most vehicle seating positions. You would have to check this yourself using the 5-step test:
For both your 8 and 10-year olds: if she doesn't meet all 5-steps, the high back or backless booster mode should be fine as long as she is within the limits in the manual or on the labels. In addition, to use backless mode, she needs to be in a vehicle seating position that had an adequate head restraint. Some middle seats may not.

Your 5-year old can remain in the 5-point harness seat as long as they are within the weight and height limits of their car seat. Many typical 5-year olds can start using a booster as long as they are 40 pounds and mature enough to remain seated properly with a correctly adjusted seat belt.

aporthole

Wow, she’s crazy tall for 10! She’s over the standing height capacity of all boosters. Definitely check her against the 5-Step test listed above. If she doesn’t pass, that puts you in a tricky spot where she’s officially too tall for all boosters, but if she doesn’t get a good belt fit, that isn’t optimal either.

Can you double check her height to make sure 5’5” is accurate? Also what vehicle is it?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC