'02 Toyota Highlander - infant & convertible seats that fit well?

skaterbabs

B&SIL just bought a new car and I told them I'd find out what will fit best in it. They're getting ready to replace their Keyfit that was crashed a few years ago.

Charliebug is 15 weeks and about 14 lbs., they're above average in their use, but ease of use is a definite factor they'll need.

ADS

CaseyRN

I have an 04....not sure if it will help but I have installed a snugride base, KF30 base, Marathon both RF and FF and a Nautilus with no prob. Never tried a center install, though. Latch and seatbelt installs....really never had any trouble

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Radians install super-easily in that vehicle, rear- or forward-facing (seatbelt.) The Coccoro is difficult but can be done. But is a pain. ;) Uh... I am pretty sure scoutingbear and I have put more seats in her car but I can't remember, lol.

scoutingbear

I have an '05. Here is the list of seats I have successfully installed in it.

--Classic Marathon, RF and FF --super easy
--Keyfit, both with and without the base
--My Ride, super easy
--Radian, easy both LATCH and seatbelt, seatbelt is a little easier IMO
--Scenera, difficult to install, but can be done with one person
--Coccoro, seatbelt install is difficult, very difficult in center. Outboard latch is fairly easy
--Tribute (?), not super easy but not that difficult either

And now for seats that are not needed for this situation:
--Frontier (I know, not needed for this situation, but it works)
--Apex
--Graco Nautilus
--Chase

I really haven't found anything too difficult aside from the center coccoro which took two people, a few choice words and lots of pushing and shoving and the special combi locking clip.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeeeesss, the Coccoro in the center was a four-handed install. Four experienced hands wielded by people who knew what they were doing. LOL.

skaterbabs

Thanks everyone! I seemed to remember that it was sometimes a difficult one.

They're ONLY interested in seats that install well in the center - after SIL was hit a few weeks ago (side impact) she's really freaked by the idea of having Charlie anywhere else.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Crashed a few years ago? Girl, time does NOT move that fast ;)

Funny, I just was mucking with a 2004 Highlander an hour ago...All I've put in the middle is an FF RN, though.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
A friend of mine has an 05, not sure if they're the same... the Combi Shuttle is the only seat I've helped her with in it, but the center does have a fairly long buckle stalk and we had to do a couple buckle stalk turns to get it solid but otherwise no problem!

Oh, wait I did put my Marathon Classic forward facing in it for her nephew a while back too, outboard and I had to remove the headrest but otherwise easy enough!

scoutingbear

Okay, for the center, RF, pretty much anything goes. I :love: my radian in the middle, but it was a little difficult the first 1 or 2 times to install. LATCH is not usable in the center so it will have to be a seatbelt install. Just have her stay away from the CCO if she wants easier in the middle.

skaterbabs

Bumping because they've decided to scrap getting a new infant seat and just get a convertible. I suggested the Radian since he'd be in it until it expires, but refresh my memory on what else works well and has the higher RF limits, please?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC