Forward facing installs, Britax & pool noodles

FireMoo169

Is there ever a time when placing a pool noodle in the seat bight would be acceptable for a forward facing install? Specifically a Britax Advocate in a Captains chair that has a pretty significant slope to it.

The car seat in the most up right position (1), and the base pushed as far back against the seatback as possible leaves us with a gap of an inch between the vehicle seat bottom and the car seat base. There is no overhang on the front of the vehicle seat.

On another note if I slide the car seat forward so that the base is flat on the vehicle seat bottom there is still no overhang and I can get a tight install. I have found no information regarding britax seats requiring full contact of the car seat to the vehicle seat back.

Just looking at the geometry of the Britax seats there is not possible way to make that car seat sit flush with any vehicle seat!

Any experience with this out there?

ADS

CMeMeC

Is there ever a time when placing a pool noodle in the seat bight would be acceptable for a forward facing install? Specifically a Britax Advocate in a Captains chair that has a pretty significant slope to it.

The car seat in the most up right position (1), and the base pushed as far back against the seatback as possible leaves us with a gap of an inch between the vehicle seat bottom and the car seat base. There is no overhang on the front of the vehicle seat.

On another note if I slide the car seat forward so that the base is flat on the vehicle seat bottom there is still no overhang and I can get a tight install. I have found no information regarding britax seats requiring full contact of the car seat to the vehicle seat back.

Just looking at the geometry of the Britax seats there is not possible way to make that car seat sit flush with any vehicle seat!

Any experience with this out there?

No to the pool noodle. Can you post a picture?

jjordan

You may be able to recline the captain's chair (some vehicles have a maximum amount of recline allowed when a child seat is installed). Otherwise, I'd pull the base forward away from the bight until the base is flat on the seat. From what you've said, there will likely be a significant gap between the lower part of the child seat back, but that's fine. :)

FireMoo169

Thank you for your replies. I saw this install come in for a check and it had been installed by a tech previously and this is how it was done and shown to the parent, so it had me double guessing myself. From everything I have learned and my research telling me it was wrong I still wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something.

The seat left the check installed securely, the vehicle seat was allowed to be reclined 1 or 2 positions and I moved the base of the seat further away from the seat bite. There was about 3 inches from vehicle seat bite to the base of the Britax and still no overhang over the front of the seat.

No pictures were taken, I did not have a phone handy at the time.

aeormsby

Just agreeing that you want the base to be flat on the vehicle seat. The gap at the back is not a safety issue as long as you get a tight install. You are even allowed to have a little bit of overhang (80% of the base must be in contact with the seat/20% overhang is allowed).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC