IEP wording re: transport?

KaiLing

I've heard references to people having transportation written into their IEPs. Would anyone care to share the wording?

I'm particularly interested in younger children withOUT physical special needs who will be bussed to special programs. I'd like to be able to advise parents to get in writing that their child's bus must have an appropriate CR appropriately installed, but I'm not sure of the wording.

Thanks!

ADS

Mommy0608

My 5yo DD who is in Kindergarten has an IEP. She does not ride the bus daily, but will for field trips. Her IEP has a statement at the end that says something like "Child will ride in a harness provided by the district on the bus for field trips." I don't know the exact wording, sorry. I have a copy of the IEP... somewhere. :eek: If I find it I'll update.

You mentioned non-physical special needs. She has epilepsy, and requires a harness because she falls limp when she has a seizure and would fall off the bus seat.

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
Out of the eight students in harnesses on our special needs bus only one has a physical need for a harness. The others are behavioral or simply cognitive reasons. So it can definitely be done.

KaiLing

Excellent, thank you. I was thinking particularly of children on the autism spectrum who are physically very 'normal' but potentially could not focus enough on the bus / deal with the bus driver as an authority to be left out of a harness. It seems like it's better to get safe transport wording into the IEP and then work on taking it out if a kid adjusts enough to ride the bus safely than leave it out of an IEP and hope it all works out.

mama_katz

My son's is in the accommodations/special considerations portion of his IEP.

Transportation: Special Transportation
Modifications Required: Safety attendant aids child enter/exit bus safely, secures seating device, etc. Special seating device.

bethng

This is for my tiny 4 year old (my student)

"T**** will ride in a convertible car seat installed in the rear facing position. This seat will be provided by the district and will be used rear facing until he outgrows the rear facing limits of the seat at which time he will ride forward facing until he outgrows the limits of the seat or the seat expires...whichever comes first."

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
This is for my tiny 4 year old (my student)

"T**** will ride in a convertible car seat installed in the rear facing position. This seat will be provided by the district and will be used rear facing until he outgrows the rear facing limits of the seat at which time he will ride forward facing until he outgrows the limits of the seat or the seat expires...whichever comes first."

So does that mean if right now Dec 31st it expires... they don't have to provide a new restraint? that scares me that they have a loophole there...

Starlight

Senior Community Member
My boys have IEP's that say something like:

"Child will be restrained in correctly installed and used parent provided carseat or correctly installed and used 5 point harness or vest system provided by district."

bethng

So does that mean if right now Dec 31st it expires... they don't have to provide a new restraint? that scares me that they have a loophole there...

no. This wont happen. the seats have 4+ more years on them. They were bought new just for him. He wont need to rear face longer then that and then he will just go into a Star seat or a FF 5pt seat. IF the seats were to expire and they tried to get away with not buying new ones for him, I am in charge of his IEP...what I put in it must be provided. I would just amend his IEP to say that he must continue to rear face in a non expired seat. They cant say no if I have it in his IEP. But the transportation dept has been good about accommodating my requests. When I went there to show them the IEP and tell them that they needed to buy him 2 seats (one for the to school bus and one for home bus) they just asked what kind he needed and what I suggested they buy.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC