what isn't safe a bout bundle me's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colleen

We sell these at my work:( . I've learned from here that they are not okay too use, but I HAVE to sell them to people. When a customer ask me about the bundle me's, I usually tell them that I cant recommened them because I dont know anything about them. So what about the sack (other than not being tested w/ your CS) exactly isn't safe? Thanks.

ADS

scatterbunny

That's it--not being tested. Sometimes the slots in the Bundle Me don't line up properly with the harness slots, so the Bundle Me will change the way the straps fit the child's shoulders. Also, the Bundle Me is an extra layer between the seat and the child, a big no-no because it can compress and leave slack in the harness. I know some Bundle Me's are thin, so this concern may not apply to them all, but the fact that they VOID a carseat's warranty because they are an aftermarket product and the fact that they can make the harness not fit right is enough to convince most folks.

mak101376

I believe that 1) it is not safe to put much of anything between the child and the seat especially thicker stuff, and 2) you are not allowed to use anything with your seat that did not come with the seat or you will void the warranty and release the manufacturer from any liability if anything bad were to happen.
I'm pretty sure there is a Bundle Me Lite that is considered to be okay.

skaterbabs

They're also technically illegal in any state that requires "proper use" because all manufacturers say don't use aftermarket products.

Colleen

Thanks. I work in the NH "live free or die" (boy they got that right!) state. It's legal to not wear seat belts and you can drive motorcycles w/ out helmets. Great. :rolleyes:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
There are absolutely no safety regulations or overseeing body (such as NHTSA for carseats) -- if a company claims their add on products are "crash tested" or "meets FMVSS..." they are lying! The only such products we can recommend are those that are sold with the carseat because they actually *are* tested with the carseat & therefore are held to the federal standards (other items are not).

Niea

There are absolutely no safety regulations or overseeing body (such as NHTSA for carseats) -- if a company claims their add on products are "crash tested" or "meets FMVSS..." they are lying! The only such products we can recommend are those that are sold with the carseat because they actually *are* tested with the carseat & therefore are held to the federal standards (other items are not).

Very interesting. How can one go about reporting a company who makes these claims? Because right on www.bundleme.com, JJ Cole states that it has passed FMVSS testing :eek:

Colleen, since the bundleme isn't exactly a car seat exclusive item, how about talking up the benefits when using it with a stroller? When they ask your opinion, maybe just say that aftermarket products like the Bundleme shouldn't be used with carseats when they are in the car but that they are great for using in the stroller when it's cold outside? Just be sure to remind them that if they need to put the child in the car, they should remove the Bundleme first.

babychild taxi

So, is the BundleMe Lite safe at all in a car seat: installed only/partially on the bottom of the seat where the crotch strap is threaded through the bundleme.

Thanks

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
BundleMes are wonderful...for strollers. I couldn't convince several friends/family to not use the Bundle Me in their infant carseats, but I will continue trying. I tried to tell them to use them only in the strollers, but that didn't work well. :(

skaterbabs

So, is the BundleMe Lite safe at all in a car seat: installed only/partially on the bottom of the seat where the crotch strap is threaded through the bundleme.

Thanks

Personally, I would not ever use one with my childs, and would not be comeoftrable signing off on an inspection in which one remained in the child's seat.

Niea said:
How can one go about reporting a company who makes these claims? Because right on www.bundleme.com, JJ Cole states that it has passed FMVSS testing

There is no one to report them to - it's not against the law. There are NO laws addressing this issue at all.

Kellyr2

I just thought I'd chime in about what I personally would do, as a sales person. I've been a consultant for Natural Family Boutique (they've ended that program, now I'm an affiliate, though) and we carried the Kokkoon which is similar. Now, we have a copy of a letter they wrote up about safety and how it was crash tested. It all sounds VERY good. However, if anyone had ever asked me about it, I would have shown them the letter but also told them to check their carseat's manual and that I'd recommend following the manual (which I know would say to avoid after market items). That way, at least I'm presenting both sides and it's a parental choice. Perhaps you could do the same in the store you work in? Would you get into trouble for saying that you personally wouldn't recommend it, due to carseat manuals?

Niea

There is no one to report them to - it's not against the law. There are NO laws addressing this issue at all.

Hmm. But there are laws against false and deceptive advertising. Perhaps the FTC is place to file a complaint, then. It won't change the big problem, but at least they won't be able to advertise they pass certain regulations and/or testing when they haven't.

o_mom

Very interesting. How can one go about reporting a company who makes these claims? Because right on www.bundleme.com, JJ Cole states that it has passed FMVSS testing :eek:

Here is what they say (wording is very important):

"Tests performed on infant car seats with the Bundle Me® installed found that the car seats complied with the Restraint System Integrity and Occupant Excursion portions of the FMVSS 213 requirements."

They are NOT saying that the Bundle Me passes FMVSS 213. They are claiming that they tested at least two seats with the Bundle Me installed and that those seats pass FMVSS 213 when used with the Bundle Me. Now, we have no idea what seats were tested and how many ways they were tested (every strap position, etc.) and so on, so it is still an unknown what will happen in your carseat the way you install it.

I personally have never seen a need for one in a carseat and we get some mighty cold temps here at times.

skaterbabs

Hmm. But there are laws against false and deceptive advertising. Perhaps the FTC is place to file a complaint, then. It won't change the big problem, but at least they won't be able to advertise they pass certain regulations and/or testing when they haven't.

Well, it's worth a shot, and if enough people complain maybe we will start seeing laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC