News Chicago Tribune Article (3/1/09) Titled "Car seat tests reveal 'flaws'"

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Re: Chicaco Tribune Article (3/1/09) Titled "Car seat tests reveal 'flaws'"

Wow, that was really interesting.

The thing that struck me the most is the idea that the bench currently used for crash tests might not best simulate real-world crashes. If that's the case, what's the point?

I did wonder about a few things. In some of the tests, it looked like those long beige strap-type things they connected might have gone between the carrier and the base, thus increasing the risk of separation, but after watching a them a few times, it looks like they were tucked out of the way. Hard to say for sure, though.

Also, in some of those tests, it looks like the dummy's head is even with or above the shells of the seats, possibly causing over-rotation, or at least adding to the likelihood that the child's head would hit the front seat.

In any case, that article provides a lot of food for thought. It sounds like there are people already pushing for changes in the standards, and there likely will be a lot more once more people read it.

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Re: Chicaco Tribune Article (3/1/09) Titled "Car seat tests reveal 'flaws'"

Hmm..interesting. If the overall effect is that crash tests are required to become more realistic, i think that's great. I do think it's hard to interpret what this one test means though, given all the variables. And for example, in at least 1 of the tests, the dummy's head was well OVER the shell of the seat, so that rigth there is blatant misuse.

I do have a question though...?? Do rearfacing CONVERTIBLES also cocoon all the way back like those infant seats. I'l be honest, even knowing everything I do, my involuntary visceral response was "OMG, their legs are getting CRUSHED!".....I found myself wanting to not leave the house until I can get a TF with anti-rebound bar, at the very least. And I'm afraid your average parent seeing those videos is going to have the SAME reaction, and it will become more fuel to the anti-erf fire.....

Mylilboyblue

I watched the Keyfit Video. Is that what the seat is supposed to do? If so then that looks like it faired pretty well. But I am glad my DS is in a RF tethered convertable now. Sia on the other hand.....now what am I supposed to do with her? She fits horribly in convertables.

New grandma

I think the article is very interesting. Hopefully it will stimulate reform of the testing standards which would be nice. However, I don't think the tests themselves tell us much. They only tested a few combinations of seats and cars and as noted, installations could have been flawed. I do wish there were more information on cars back seat performance in crashes as that was the scariest part to me.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Those cars were run into a wall at 35mph. Can you imagine the force of another car going 35mph and hitting that one head on?

By the laws of physics, a car running into a wall at 35 MPH is the same as a car hitting an identical car head-on if both vehicle are moving 35 MPH.

30 MPH "into a wall" is the same as a head on collision where both vehicles have the same mass and are moving toward each other at 30 MPH at the time of the collision.

The 30 MPH sled test more closely approximates a collision where one vehicle is moving 30 MPH and the other vehicle (with identical mass) is at a complete stop. The 2nd vehicle will move and absorb about half the crash forces. This would also be similar to a head-on collision where both vehicles were moving toward each other 15 MPH at the time of the crash; or running into a wall at 15 MPH.

You know, in the article they talk about the SS1 mainly. It only came off the base in one of the cars that they tested it in. I would have to consider that a flawed test, if it only happened once, until they can replicate it.

I thought the same thing. That test may say more about the performance of the Scion than of the SS1. The seat that failed consistently across the board in a variety of vehicles, the Combi Centre was recalled. The other seats may or may not be "safe enough". These tests just don't tell us one way or the other.

Evolily

Maybe they need to test on multiple types and styles of benches in order to make sure the car seat is compatible with the variety of situations it will be used in. They should also have to pass an ease of use test, IMHO.

With that Graco, though, it looks like it was improperly snapped into the base.

cpsaddict

That's great. Not. Here I have a brand new SS1 sitting in my living room. *I* am not personally comfortable with my newborn in a convertible, so I will use the Safeseat. I'm just not sure this article and the tests really prove anything. I will just have to trust Graco and my car and use my seat correctly every single time.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
This study aside, I have never felt comfortable using infant seats with bases. It's just one more thing that could possibly go wrong, and it scares me.
For your average parent? I'm not sure....does the risk of them not installing the seat securely with seatbelt every time outweigh the risk of a base hookup failure? maybe? probably, in fact...(unless they had an old combi centre.) But for me personally? If I ever choose to use an infant bucket, I'd use the seatbelt to strap it in, every time.
It's sort of like when we start talking abotu LATCH limits and whether the weight is carseat plus kid or just kid, and whether the latch anchors can withstand the force, and every time, it ends up that we say "when in doubt,use the seatbelt" because the seatbelt is teated with a whatever 200 pound person dummy, and it's going to hold....but that's me.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
If the Safe Seat was flying off in all the tests then why in the Combi Centre video the other seat in the video (pass outboard) is a Safe Seat and it stayed on the base in that crash.

I think there is way more to this then anyone knows just yet. Also if NHTSA was seeing these results don't you think recalls would have been issued by now for all these manufactures?

Irishmama

After watching those videos, I am confused about effect of the seats rebounding. Isn't that a lot of force on an infant? I'm guessing not as much as the initial impact with them going backwards, but the rebound looked pretty bad too. If I remember my high school physics right, it would have an equal and opposite reaction as the initial impact? :scratcheshead:

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
If the Safe Seat was flying off in all the tests then why in the Combi Centre video the other seat in the video (pass outboard) is a Safe Seat and it stayed on the base in that crash.

The SafeSeat wasn't "flying off in all the tests". Of the 6 SafeSeat tests listed, only one shows as separating from the base (Scion Xd).

kaylee18

By the laws of physics, a car running into a wall at 35 MPH is the same as a car hitting an identical car head-on if both vehicle are moving 35 MPH.

No, actually, the laws of physics tell us that a car running into a wall at 35 MPH involves only one-fourth the energy of two cars running into each other if both are moving at 35 MPH. That's why frontal collisions tend to be much worse than rear-enders: no one drives in reverse at 35 MPH all the time.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
No, actually, the laws of physics tell us that a car running into a wall at 35 MPH involves only one-fourth the energy of two cars running into each other if both are moving at 35 MPH. That's why frontal collisions tend to be much worse than rear-enders: no one drives in reverse at 35 MPH all the time.

The way that the HyGE crash tests are run presently - the 30mph ones simulate a speed that only 5% of collisions are more than.

That being said, a brick wall has no give while a another vehicle does have give in that it has a crumple zone allowing ride down time for the passengers in the vehicle. When 2 cars collide, there are 2 crumple zones decreasing the force of each vehicle. (Hopefully I'm explaining that clear enough. Physics was never my thing, all I know is that the set up of the test as it is currently reflects a speed that only 5% of all collisions exceed.)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
This has always bugged me.

"You can compare safety ratings for cars, but not for the safety of car seats."

I have recently gained some insight into part of the reason why there aren't safety ratings released... What if everyone went out and bought "the absolute safest seat" while there was an ongoing defect investigation? Sometimes safety agencies know of defects but it takes time to work with the manufacturer. In a case like that, all of those parents who thought they were buying the safest seat might have really had it backfire on them - not to mention that incompatibilities would be bound to arise if everyone bought the same seat across the board which would also suddenly turn that "safest seat" into a ticking time bomb...

For that reason I don't believe that car seats should be given safety ratings the same way as a car - there are just too many variables affecting the safety of a car seat.

Why did they only release some of the videos, not all? After reading how the SS1 did in a Toyota Sequoia, it makes me nervous about the SS1 in my Sienna. But, at least it stayed on the base.

If these are NHTSAs own tests, why are the seats still on the market? Not that I think they should all be pulled. I'm just wondering. I understand the flaws to the Consumer Reports tests. But isn't this different? Or am I missing something?

All of the Combi seats were recalled and the base was updated to remove the problem of the seat detaching from the base. The Evenflo Discovery in the test was also one that has been recalled and I could tell by the footage that it didn't have the "fix" on it, so again - irrelevant in terms of current Discovery seats.

I thought the same thing. That test may say more about the performance of the Scion than of the SS1. The seat that failed consistently across the board in a variety of vehicles, the Combi Centre was recalled. The other seats may or may not be "safe enough". These tests just don't tell us one way or the other.

I agree, it does seem that there is something about the Scion that makes car seats perform less than optimally in it.

Maybe they need to test on multiple types and styles of benches in order to make sure the car seat is compatible with the variety of situations it will be used in. They should also have to pass an ease of use test, IMHO.

With that Graco, though, it looks like it was improperly snapped into the base.

I also thought the Graco looked like it wasn't properly snapped in to the base. It seemed to fly off pretty much immediately and I wouldn't have expected detachment from the base until the seat had rotated a bit while still on the base had it initially started out attached.

The limitations of multiple types and styles of benches is that car manufacturers are always updating their interiors. There are potentially infinite combinations and designs, and when you start trying to test a carseat for every single variable a car manufacturer might put into a car, it becomes a very expensive prospect at the very least. It also means that a seat which passes with flying colors in one model year might do poorly a few years down the road when the car manufacturer re-designs the interior. That's a big expense to carseat manufacturers if they're left to bear the burden of changing their designs constantly...

I think there is way more to this then anyone knows just yet. Also if NHTSA was seeing these results don't you think recalls would have been issued by now for all these manufactures?

Combi and Discovery were recalled. They were the only consistent flying off the base results. As for the other values, given that it's very vehicle dependent, I don't think that a carseat manufacturer should bear the responsibility to recall and redesign the seat because there is a problem with it in one specific vehicle. Idealistically we'd like to see all seats compatible and easy to use in all vehicles, but we don't live in an ideal world. Additionally, some of the factors of pass/fail in regards to HIC could be influenced by the position the front passenger or driver seat is set at, whether or not there is cargo in the trunk and how much that cargo weighs. I would imagine there's an additional difference between leather and plain fabric upholstery because one is often more easily compressible than the other. So in other words, there are just so many things to account for, I think it would be insane to force recalls on all the manufacturers that had any of the tests with a failure - at least the ones that haven't been recalled... The ones that were recalled were recalled for widespread failure, not episodic ones related specifically to the vehicle the seat was installed in.

Again, it all comes down to real world experience, and kids aren't being killed in mass numbers due to carseat failures. Most of the time when kids die in a collision it's due to improper use in one aspect or another. Unfortunately I don't even know how easy it would be to correct ease of use... some people don't have the reading comprehension to understand a manual, and what's common sense to one person isn't common sense to another. Maybe a video manual being included with seats would be a good thing - though that could have limitations too due to variations in vehicle designs and rules...

I think in an ideal world we'd see more car manufacturers doing tests of carseats before sending a new car to market, and including a list of carseats which were compatible in their vehicle. There would still be situations which would make even the recommended seats fail, but it would be a starting point.

FWIW, some of the points of failure in terms of exceeding head or chest injury criteria I suspect we would see in convertible seats as well. This study here talks about rf'ing seats and additional loads imposed on the child when there was cargo in the trunk. It includes crash scene photos and injury/death descriptions, so isn't reading for those of you who are sensitive. Pg 5 does have the summary about rf'ing restraints though, so that would be a safe place for everyone to look. :thumbsup: There were 2 interesting points made in that study that the Tribune article seems to support... The first was that some sort of energy absorbing foam should be required in the head area to reduce the force on the child's head. It was noticed that in small vehicles there was the impact of the carseat hitting the vehicle seat during downward rotation and the child having that additional force placed on his/her head in an impact. The other point showed the pictures of back seats post collision and analyzed the weight of the cargo in the trunk and talked about how it could affect a child in a rf'ing restraint. The conclusion was still one showing rf'ing to be much safer in real world experience, but the points raised are very good points...

Anyways, my point is that I believe we would see many of the increases in injury measurements - except obviously separation from the base, if it was a rf'ing convertible seat in the test. Perhaps a design limiting downward rotation - like Australian style tethering or something along those lines, would do more in the way of making sure rf'ing seats performed as expected.

In the end though, it all comes down to the same thing.. We know that rf'ing seats do an excellent job of protecting children. We know that head injuries in rf'ing children are mostly due to misuse, and that rf'ing restraints are more effective at protecting children under age 2 than a ff'ing restraint.

I'd like to see CHOP put together an evaluation of injuries to kids in rf'ing restraints and evaluate the cause of those injuries - loose harness, over weight limit, improper install, small backseat, etc.

In the meantime, I wouldn't panic over a seat on a base, and in most cases prefer base install over baseless. Less room for error for the average parent. I also don't find the results to be that worthy of panic given that the repeat failures were recalled seats. Given the recall we'd expect those seats to fly off the base. :shrug-shoulders:

romanoma

no one has pointed out what didn't happen. While I'm sure the study was flawed and it's impossible to determine a "bad" seat from a study like this, it's nice to know the snugride didn't ever come off, and it seemed to be the most tested seat. That makes me feel pretty good about having a snugride (again, not that the SS is unsafe...)
I agree that reproducibility is very important in determining if study results are valid. Too bad in this instance, each test is so expensive!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
After watching those videos, I am confused about effect of the seats rebounding. Isn't that a lot of force on an infant? I'm guessing not as much as the initial impact with them going backwards, but the rebound looked pretty bad too. If I remember my high school physics right, it would have an equal and opposite reaction as the initial impact? :scratcheshead:

As I understand it, the rebound force is not nearly as strong as the initial crash force. And injuries to children in RF seats are so minimal that what 'looks' dramatic simply isn't.

Carseat.org says this, "
The first U.S. infant restraint, which is the model for subsequent ones, did not use a tether in either direction nor a shoulder belt, but it worked very well. During development, the engineers observed that it turned over toward the vehicle seatback after a crash test and, largely in order to justify what happened anyway, they called this the "cocoon effect." There was also some justifiable concern that the small infant's neck might be injured on rebound or rear-impact unless the restraint were allowed to freely rotate in this direction. Justified or not, this concept has remained and seems to make intuitive sense. The counter-argument that the infant's head will "slam" into the seatback and be injured on rebound has not been validated in over 30 years of crash experience."

Jennifer mom to my 7

Like the article states, why have we not seen these results in real world collisions? ANd someone on another board asked, did they use brand new seats each crash? or just continue to use the same ones?
ANd, then I have to ask, if the forces on the babies were so great rf, what would they have done to an infant ff? Or even a 2 year old? Also, I wonder if they used a 30 pound dummy for the keyfit, when, in the real world, it would be a rare 30 pound kid that would fit in it.

Also, fwiw, my dh has always found the rf infant to be the least hurt out of any accident scene he has been on. Including finding one in the remains of a car that had fatalities with only minor injuries.

Maybe what needs to be done is on scene info taken, in real world crashes, to see if these results to occur in the real world, kwim?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Combi and Discovery were recalled. They were the only consistent flying off the base results. As for the other values, given that it's very vehicle dependent, I don't think that a carseat manufacturer should bear the responsibility to recall and redesign the seat because there is a problem with it in one specific vehicle.

I agree that seats shouldn't be recalled based on one vehicle, and especially not based on one test. However, the fact that ANY seats flew off the base is what worries me. I've convinced myself that infant seats are as safe as convertibles--despite a nagging feeling that they're not--and now I'm questioning that.

I also agree that an incompatibility in ONE model of car might not be cause for a recall, but if a seat fails consistently in one car, it seems that there would likely be other cars that would produce similar results. Did seats fail in Scions because it's a Toyota model? Because it's a small car? Because of some anomaly found ONLY in the Scion?

As for "Why don't we hear about this happening in the real world," we do. Maybe not often, (keep in mind these are very high-speed, severe crashes), but I have heard of it happening. I posted on another thread about an article I read while I was pregnant with DS. A local family got hit, the infant seat (with a newborn in it) detached from the base and was ejected from the car. The baby lived but lost an arm.

I was convinced I wouldn't use an infant seat because of that, but a technician convinced me they were as safe as convertibles.

newmomapril2008

Ok, I just watched the Keyfit video and have a question.

It didn't detach from the base, but on the rebound it did come up and hit the back seat. The base has two latch hooks on the "foot," or bottom of the side of the seat. Would it be possible to somehow latch the front of the base to the bench seat to keep it from rebounding like it did?

I know True Fit has the C670 coming out with the ARB, which is what I'm holding out for. But on the chance that I may someday have a need for the KF carrier and base again I wonder if that would be a possibility.

Any ideas?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, I just watched the Keyfit video and have a question.

It didn't detach from the base, but on the rebound it did come up and hit the back seat. The base has two latch hooks on the "foot," or bottom of the side of the seat. Would it be possible to somehow latch the front of the base to the bench seat to keep it from rebounding like it did?

I know True Fit has the C670 coming out with the ARB, which is what I'm holding out for. But on the chance that I may someday have a need for the KF carrier and base again I wonder if that would be a possibility.

Any ideas?

Never add things to a seat. The car seat was not tested that way and is meant to come up, to let the baby ride down the crash longer.

The Britax Companion and Combi Tyro have anti rebound bars, if you want something like that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC