Help convince someone that

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Small cars are very safe, generally get better safety ratings than large SUVs, and the trunk area usually has more room than all but the absolute biggest SUVs.

ADS

bubbaray

Why don't you want to put the stroller in th bed of a truck? Easy to load and if you use tie downs it won't slide

I'd keep the truck instead of getting something older. If you want the stroller covered, get a canopy for the bed.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
A 93 Surburban will have no head restraints and will be in the model years with the cross over steering issues. It's NOT fun to drive a vehicle with 6 inches of play in the wheel with K rails right on the white lines on both sides. If he's mechanical, you could change out to a solid axle, or weld a support box through the steering linkage to fix it, but the head support issue would be a big deal to me. Maybe you guys can compromise with a 98 or so?

seb3244

Small cars are very safe, generally get better safety ratings than large SUVs, and the trunk area usually has more room than all but the absolute biggest SUVs.

Really I didn't think that at all. Only reason is since I live in az more than half the vehicles on the roads are SUVs or giant trucks. I guess I just picture a car against an SUV or a truck on an accident and the car loses every time. But heck where could I even get stats that show that?

My sis and my nieces who are 4 & 6 ride with us a lot so we need more seats that a car has. But yes I bet a trunk would be super nice to have and huge.

seb3244

Why don't you want to put the stroller in th bed of a truck? Easy to load and if you use tie downs it won't slide I'd keep the truck instead of getting something older. If you want the stroller covered, get a canopy for the bed.

There is no place to tie anything. Also right now I can't put the stroller in the back because say I am just running errands and want to run in somewhere quick without the stroller I don't want to leave it in the back of the truck for fear it would get stollen. I will look into a canopy though that is a good idea thank you!

bubbaray

Most trucks have somewhere for tie downs. You could use a cable bike lock for the stroller. We lock bikes to DHs truck like that when he's using a tailgate pad instead of a hitch

seb3244

A 93 Surburban will have no head restraints and will be in the model years with the cross over steering issues. It's NOT fun to drive a vehicle with 6 inches of play in the wheel with K rails right on the white lines on both sides. If he's mechanical, you could change out to a solid axle, or weld a support box through the steering linkage to fix it, but the head support issue would be a big deal to me. Maybe you guys can compromise with a 98 or so?

Wow
That is good to know about the cross over steering issues. Thank you.

What is not good about head restraints? I ask because I am clueless on this and also we were looking at an expedition & excursion as well and I am pretty sure in the 3rd row of each of those SUVs there are no head rests.

seb3244

Most trucks have somewhere for tie downs. You could use a cable bike lock for the stroller. We lock bikes to DHs truck like that when he's using a tailgate pad instead of a hitch

I will look for a spot (hole) or something like that tomorrow. A bike lock sounds like a great idea! Thank you!

jgomez411

Really I didn't think that at all. Only reason is since I live in az more than half the vehicles on the roads are SUVs or giant trucks. I guess I just picture a car against an SUV or a truck on an accident and the car loses every time. But heck where could I even get stats that show that? My sis and my nieces who are 4 & 6 ride with us a lot so we need more seats that a car has. But yes I bet a trunk would be super nice to have and huge.

Just chiming in...My mom had a Suburban, I believe a 2001 or 2002, it was literally like a month old. Anyways, a Camry went left of center and hit her head on. Both cars were totaled, but in the case of the Camry, the engine is designed to drop instead of go back into the passengers in the event of an accident. Everyone walked away with no injuries.

With that being said, I traded in my 2007 2 door G5 2.5 years ago for a 2004 Expedition and, even though I like the space of the Expedition, filling the tank stinks and it's just huge. I have one child so I didn't need the space, but I hated climbing in the back everytime to stick DD in her rfing seat. Ehh it has it's pros and cons I guess, but when it dies and DH's car is paid off, I want to get a smaller SUV.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Wow
That is good to know about the cross over steering issues. Thank you.

What is not good about head restraints? I ask because I am clueless on this and also we were looking at an expedition & excursion as well and I am pretty sure in the 3rd row of each of those SUVs there are no head rests.

The Excursion does not have head restraints in the third row. That means you won't be able to use the third row with older children out of a booster seat. Also, many if not most boosters require a headrest behind them for support. AND, with the Excursion you get the added bonus that it's heavy enough to be exempt from LATCH requirements, so there are no tether anchors, meaning you can't use a harnessed seat. So, in summary, the third row of the Excursion is useful for...groceries :p This peeves me to no end, because a diesel Excursion would be my ideal vehicle if only it had head rests, LATCH and tether anchors, and lap/shoulder belts.

Head restraints are important because without them, the passenger has no whiplash protection.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiaHHnP94-4"]Seat and Head Rest Testing Explained - YouTube[/ame]

seb3244

The Excursion does not have head restraints in the third row. That means you won't be able to use the third row with older children out of a booster seat. Also, many if not most boosters require a headrest behind them for support. AND, with the Excursion you get the added bonus that it's heavy enough to be exempt from LATCH requirements, so there are no tether anchors, meaning you can't use a harnessed seat. So, in summary, the third row of the Excursion is useful for...groceries :p This peeves me to no end, because a diesel Excursion would be my ideal vehicle if only it had head rests, LATCH and tether anchors, and lap/shoulder belts. Head restraints are important because without them, the passenger has no whiplash protection. Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiaHHnP94-4

Thanks for this link. Wow that is crazy to think that some vehicles don't have them. So what vehicle do you have?

Is there an SUV that has head restraints on all seats?

seb3244

I think you would be surprised how nice and convenient a minivan is. Even DH who prefers trucks loves our van.

What kind and what year? Also how many feet is the distance between head of the 3rd row compared to the back of the mini van? I love how in a suburban there is a huge distance so if I were to get rear ended by a large vehicle there is a lot of room for the SUV to crumple before it gets to a passengers head.
Thanks for your input. The thank you button was working when I started this thread but now there is no thank you button??? Isn't that weird?

CarSafetyGuy

Really I didn't think that at all. Only reason is since I live in az more than half the vehicles on the roads are SUVs or giant trucks. I guess I just picture a car against an SUV or a truck on an accident and the car loses every time. But heck where could I even get stats that show that?

My sis and my nieces who are 4 & 6 ride with us a lot so we need more seats that a car has. But yes I bet a trunk would be super nice to have and huge.

Status reports from the IIHS have driver death rates for a whole range of vehicles. As an idea, the driver death rates for the 2WD and 4WD 2001-2004 Suburbans were 90 and 66, respectively. There are lots and lots of cars that performed better back then and now, to be honest. To give you a quick idea, in that same period, the driver death rate for the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna, both minivans, was 17. In other words, a driver was around 5 times more likely to die in a Suburban than in one of those minivans at that time.

MommyShannon

I think you could find a 2006 or earlier Ody or Sienna in your range. Keep in mind the 2005 Ody only has 3 top tether anchors and can't have more added. 2006+ has 5 tether anchors and 2004 and earlier can have some retrofitted.

jjordan

What kind and what year? Also how many feet is the distance between head of the 3rd row compared to the back of the mini van? I love how in a suburban there is a huge distance so if I were to get rear ended by a large vehicle there is a lot of room for the SUV to crumple before it gets to a passengers head.
Thanks for your input. The thank you button was working when I started this thread but now there is no thank you button??? Isn't that weird?

For $7000 and under, I'm seeing Dodge and Kia minivans with around 100k miles. For an Odyssey or Sienna, you'll have to go older than 2006 and more than 100k miles. Personally I would go with a 2006 or newer Kia Sedona, great safety ratings and known to be fairly reliable.

seb3244

Status reports from the IIHS have driver death rates for a whole range of vehicles. As an idea, the driver death rates for the 2WD and 4WD 2001-2004 Suburbans were 90 and 66, respectively. There are lots and lots of cars that performed better back then and now, to be honest. To give you a quick idea, in that same period, the driver death rate for the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna, both minivans, was 17. In other words, a driver was around 5 times more likely to die in a Suburban than in one of those minivans at that time.

Holy sh#% ba&$s that is insane. What link did you look this up on? That is so crazy! I got the chills. Here I am thinking I am way safer and I am actually way less safe :(

seb3244

I think you could find a 2006 or earlier Ody or Sienna in your range. Keep in mind the 2005 Ody only has 3 top tether anchors and can't have more added. 2006+ has 5 tether anchors and 2004 and earlier can have some retrofitted.

I will look into these thanks! I can't believe some can't have more added and some can that is so strange to me

seb3244

For $7000 and under, I'm seeing Dodge and Kia minivans with around 100k miles. For an Odyssey or Sienna, you'll have to go older than 2006 and more than 100k miles. Personally I would go with a 2006 or newer Kia Sedona, great safety ratings and known to be fairly reliable.

I will look into these as well thanks!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC