Why do people here dislike the Boulevard so much?

LP Mom

Just wondering. I have one and love it. Easy to use and install. Just got a Radian XT SL based on all the raves/recs on this board and so far I am not in love with it. It is nice but such a PITA to use and install. What is so terrible about the Boulevard?

ADS

kittykate

What is so terrible about the Boulevard?

Nothing. Most opinions on car seats you find here about which carseats are "best" are just that -- opinions. What works for one child, vehicle and budget may not work for another.

If you like the seat and are using it properly, that is all that matters :twocents:

ilo

Just wondering. I have one and love it. Easy to use and install. Just got a Radian XT SL based on all the raves/recs on this board and so far I am not in love with it. It is nice but such a PITA to use and install. What is so terrible about the Boulevard?

I have no idea. I love ours, the install is so easy and fast! DD is comfortable too. Only thing I dislike is the 35lbs RF limit.

lovinwaves

When we purchased our first two "higher end" seats years ago, we chose the Marathon over the Boulevard strictly because of price. Also, our Minivan is very safe, and our children are quite aways from the side of the car, so we didn't feel the children needed the extra head wings that the BV offers. The deep sides, plus the 5 point harness on the Marathon was sufficient enough for us :thumbsup:

The only other thing I can think of was I remember people saying you didn't get as much harness height out of the BV.

arly1983

I am the opposite, I have no idea why I DONT like it but given the choice I would use other seats first.

Even then, there isn't anything about the seat that would keep me from recomending it. I personally just prefer other ones.

Maedze

Nothing. Most opinions on car seats you find here are just that -- opinions. What works for one child, vehicle and budget may not work for another.

If you like the seat and are using it properly, that is all that matters :twocents:

While the bolded is true, it doesn't reflect the facts about the seat.

Opinions of a seat are not held in a vacuum. They are dependent upon what else is available.

The Boulevard is a rather pricey convertible considering it can't be used from birth, is only a 35 pound rear facing seat, becomes very cramped for rear facing very quickly compared to other seats, and is often outgrown forward facing before the child is mature enough for a booster.

In comparison to the Boulevard, the Radian can be used from birth, the Radian rear faces to 45 pounds, is extremely roomy especially for a rear facing toddler or preschooler, and the Radian is tall enough to get most kids to booster age.

The only advantage the Boulevard has over the Radian is that it fits in more compact spaces rear facing and can be installed more upright, and there are other seats that do that for less.

If you like the Boulevard that's great. People don't recommend it because it doesn't have any unique quality that either isn't done better in another seat, or is outdone by other qualities in another seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I like mine okay. I got quite a deal on it, that helped. It's not that much easier for me to install, though, and my 18 month old has about 1 1/2 inches to grow before outgrowing it rear-facing, and when I got it my 3 year old had already outgrown it forward-facing by height. So... Just not as much my favorite as other seats I have, which will last them a lot longer. :)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
yes to what Maedze said.
It isn't that most people don't necesarily like it, it's just a really poor value, and cost is a really big factor for MOST parents.
M gave a good exlanation of why...the usefullness is REALLY limited. You can't use it for a newborn, so it can't double as an infant seat. And then, you can NOT rearface to the max in it...both by height and weight limit, kids are going to outgrow it well before many other seats on the market, plus, even for a child that technically fits, it gets CRAMPED. Then, forward facing, it has about the lowest slots of ANY hwh convertible....most kids grow out of it by height by 40 pounds anyway, so the whole supposed high weight harnessing is a JOKE. Oh ya..and it's uber-expensive.

so...infant use, FAIL
Extended rearfacing, FAIL
Extended harnessing, FAIL
All for a BUTTLOAD of money.

It does have nice headwings and is a sturdy seat, easy to install and use, nice plush, comfy, pretty.

But functionally, a child is going to be able to RF and/or FF longer in a marathon/ra 50, triumph advanced, radian, trueift, complete air, 50-lb aoe, myride, symphony 65 - all for LESS money! Additionally, the radians, TF, EFTA and MR can possibly be used for newborns.

While your child fits in it, it is a great seat, but all around, on many levels, it comes up short when compared to other seats. Doesn't mean it isn't a really nice seat though.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
If you like the Boulevard that's great. People don't recommend it because it doesn't have any unique quality that either isn't done better in another seat, or is outdone by other qualities in another seat.

Exactly. I wouldn't say that people DISLIKE the Boulevard as much as they like other seats more. (And by "like," I don't mean personal preference--I mean longevity, etc., as has been discussed.)

canadiangie

Head flop.

I battle head flop (and lose the battle) unless my BV is installed at 45 degrees for my 2 year old. The wings push a child's head forward by at least 10 degrees (if not more) and so a 30 degree install (appropriate for a 2 year old) actually has my dd's head/body sitting so far forward that her head falls forward when she sleeps. Totally defeats the purpose of the headwings (which for me is added comfort/support).

In terms of longevity it's fine for my girls as they are short torso'd and oldest dd (who may inherit it as a ff'ing seat) will fit to her 6th birthday and around 40lbs if I had to guess. She has a 12" torso at 3.5 y/o.

I bought my BV for fun to be honest. I'd always wanted one and so when they came to Canada I scooped one up. It's been a neat seat to experience, though I rarely recommend one IRL.

LP Mom

Wow. My kids heads have never flopped on the Blvd. One of the reasons I like it so much! Go figure. I have never used it for an older toddler, so I guess I have not experienced a child outgrowing it quickly.

fyrfightermomma

What is the tallest a child can be in order to RF? also FF? I just bought one and thought it went to 65lbs.

A child can remain rear facing until either they hit the weight limit of the seat (in this case 35 lbs) OR their head is 1" from the top of the hard car seat shell. Whichever comes first

Forward facing the child outgrows the seat either when they hit 65 pounds OR their shoulders are to the top harness position OR their ears are level with the top of the car seat shell, which ever comes first

So if a child's shoulders touch the top harness position but they are 38 pounds, the seat is outgrown forward facing

Likewise, if their head reaches the top of the seat rear facing and they are 25 pounds, the seat is outgrown rear facing

Height matters just as much as weight

Hope that helps!

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Exactly. I wouldn't say that people DISLIKE the Boulevard as much as they like other seats more. (And by "like," I don't mean personal preference--I mean longevity, etc., as has been discussed.)

Yes, this how I feel about the Boulevard. I actually :love: my Boulevard. My 2 year old is rear-facing in one right now, even though I have 3 other convertibles he could use. The Boulevard is absolutely my favorite. With that being said, I can't think of a 35 pound RFing limit convertible (so I'm not just picking on the Boulevard) that I personally would currently purchase instead of a 40 or 45 pound RFing limit seat, just because of the longevity factor when it comes to rear-facing.

Maedze

What is the tallest a child can be in order to RF? also FF? I just bought one and thought it went to 65lbs.

It won't go to 65 lbs. The topmost harness height isn't tall enough. Kids outgrow it by height around 40-50 pounds, usually closer to 40.

aisraeltax

i LOVE the BV. ....for a child under 35 lbs.

check out the way a Radian is made though. its some impressive engineering. why is it a PITA for you to use? if it fits in your car, shouldnt be a problem to install but i agree that it isnt a good seat to have to move around from one car to the other.

AmandaR

I recently sold my Blvd. I didn't like it because DD had NO legroom, it was pretty expensive, and I don't like how they market it as a 5lb seat when it would NOT fit a newborn.
I have a True Fit, True Fit Premier, AND Radian 65SL. I paid over $120 less for each of those seats than the Blvd and I like any of them better.
The Blvd is easy to use and I don't think it's a *bad* seat, but there are better options IMO.

Blondie87

I LOVE my Boulevard... but just for the 1-2 year age. Before that, I like my Keyfit 30, and after that, I like my Radian XT for more leg room and well.. room period. I love Britax Convertibles for how they hug babies and are super comfy and easy to install.

But it isn't practical to spend that much money on it when you could spend the same amount or less on a different seat that'd last longer. If I didn't do foster care and didn't constantly have a child in the 1-2 year old age that fit perfect in it, I probably wouldn't have one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC