Flying to Florida, WWYD?? Graco Smart Seat

punky00013

We are heading to Florida in March via airplane....

We have an 18 month old and a Graco Smart Seat. We Love the Smart Seat, however, it is very cumbersome to travel with I think.

We do not have a ton of money to spend(hence why we bought the smart seat to begin with) but I was thinking about getting a $40 convertible at Walmart to have for the trip and then giving it to my mom for her car. Is this crazy of me to think to do this? I know all car seats have to meet safety standards.

ANother question about the smartseat....when RF for an older baby, does she really have to be at such a huge incline? to keep the bubble between the lines she has to be at recline 1, which is almost laying....not to mention this is making the pregnant lady that ride in the front passenger seat with long legs sit way too close to the dash board!!! :thumbsdown:

TIA

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If I recall correctly, the SmartSeat is not FAA approved, so you cannot fly with it even if you wanted to lug the beast of a seat!

I think the $40 convertible would be a perfect idea. I would look at the Scenera40RF (Target carries them, maybe KMart, too?) or maybe the Evenflo Tribute (I think that's the one that's around $50.) Just plan on having a rolled towel handy to use to install your Scenera RF.

As far as the SmartSeat recline goes, I would verify with your manual, but if it says recline position 1 and that's the amount of recline necessary to be in the green zone, then yes -- that's how it needs to be. :( You can install by putting more pressure near the seat bight, to get the green as close to the edge as possible, though...

USNwife

My mom has the $40 Scenara as her seat and although I have not used it on an airline, it would be the seat I would choose for flying. It is very lightweight, easy to install, and comfortable.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Yup, you can't take the Smart Seat on an airplane. It is one of the few car seats you can buy that isn't FAA approved.

I'm a little confused by your statement of buying the Smart Seat because you don't have a lot of money - that's one of the most expensive and least economical car seats on the market. :confused:

The $40 Cosco Scenera is a good choice to take on the plane. It fits well in an airplane seat and it's light.

mimieliza

I'm a little confused by your statement of buying the Smart Seat because you don't have a lot of money - that's one of the most expensive and least economical car seats on the market. :confused:

Well, to defend the OP a bit, the Graco Smart Seat is marketed as the only seat you'll ever need, like any other 3-in-1 seat. Plus it has the added benefit of being usable with a base in a second vehicle. Many people, of course, find the marketing to be false and end up needing to purchase seats in addition to their 3-in-1. However, with the Smart Seat, it did seem possible that kids would be able to be harnessed to booster age, and that it makes an okay booster.

So one $300 Smart Seat, plus a $100 extra base = the only seat you'll ever need, for TWO vehicles. Not super cheap, but I can see why a parent who is comparing this to the cost of an infant seat and extra base, two Britax convertibles, and a booster seats, would see it as a more economical choice.

Anyway, to the OP - it is probably a blessing that the Smart Seat is not FAA approved - it is a beast! Dragging it through airports would NOT be fun. I am sure if you pick up a $40 Scenera or Apt, it will work well for travel purposes, and the fact that you can use it for your mom's car after your trip makes it an even more sensible purchase.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I don't believe target or kmart are selling the 40rf scenera any longer. They've upgraded to the APT. It would also be a good choice.

Walmart still carries the 35 lb version, and that would work for the trip unless the child is unusually heavy.

@mimieliza - Can I just say how much I hate marketing sometimes? :p

punky00013

Thank you all, I'm glad I posted!!! I will look into those lower priced seats!!

And yes, we compared the cost of 2 avg priced convertibles plus 2 avg priced boosters to the smart seat, which we got at a great price. Traded in an expired carseat that I got at a garage sale for 2 bucks to get 25% off at bru, and got the second base for about 30 bucks after buying the one that had been on displayi and clearanced plus another 20% off we got the entire system for 2 cars for about 250.

I read reviews like crazy and we decided after looking around and doing the math this was the seat for us, we will see if we make the same decision with number 2 as she is arriving in may....and will be in a graco snug ride 35 for as long as possible like her sister was!!!

Thank you everyone!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC