Good news! Update - Michigan Booster Law

MamaLinzie

I say zap those folks with e-mails, ladies and gentlemen, particularly if they are your state reps and up for re-election later this year. Let's remind them whom they represent and get some answers. :twocents:

Hi. Im in the Lansing area, and more than happy to help in writing reps. Does anyone have a basic letter that I could copy? I never know what to say. Thanks.

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I'm currently hoping to hear back from my state rep about the status and to get a better understanding of the role of the transportation committee. I asked if both the house and senate versions need to be revised or hammered out into a final version for a final vote and governor's signature or ?? Then I plan to do more e-mailing and tailor the message accordingly. I don't have a specific form letter I use, or at least I haven't come up with one just yet. :) I'm more comfortable writing from the heart as a mom and child passenger safety advocate/technician and try tailor it to whomever I'm e-mailing as much as possible. I usually include a blurb about how Michigan needs to catch up other states and enact a booster law to help assure our younger passengers are better protected in the vehicle beyond age 4 and at an age and height where they do not safely fit the adult seatbelt. Mentioning the possible loss of federal highway funding if Michigan doesn't enact a booster law can be worth mentioning as well. :whistle:

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Jean, will you make sure to post an update when you hear back from your state rep? (I assume my state rep too? :confused:)

Jeanum

Staff member
It's Rep. Kathy Angerer, D-Dundee, whom I'm waiting to hear from, and I'll be sure to update here. :) I figured I'd contact her again first to suss out the transportation committee and to try to learn more about what's going on there if possible. Is she your rep, too? I'm not positive about the district boundaries.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
It's Rep. Kathy Angerer, D-Dundee, whom I'm waiting to hear from, and I'll be sure to update here. :) I figured I'd contact her again first to suss out the transportation committee and to try to learn more about what's going on there if possible. Is she your rep, too? I'm not positive about the district boundaries.

Oops, you're district 55 and I'm district 54. (And um, yeah, I'm a little embarrassed that I had to look that up! :eek:)

Jeanum

Staff member

monzogary

Senior Community Member
This is so awesome! Please keep us updated if you can, I will be watching to see if it goes through quickly (finally!). This would make things so much easier for me to try and get some of the kids at my 7 yo's school out of front seats and into boosters.

elle7715

This is so awesome! Please keep us updated if you can, I will be watching to see if it goes through quickly (finally!). This would make things so much easier for me to try and get some of the kids at my 7 yo's school out of front seats and into boosters.

An evil in-law of mine has her almost 3 year old and her 5 year old in just seatbelts. I'm calling her mom the second this passes.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
The encouraging signs continue as the senate bill 82 appears to have passed in the house during today's session, and the status was updated to indicate it was returned to the senate (not sure what for, a final vote or ?? I haven't heard from my rep. to explain what's up):

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(cp....aspx?page=BillStatus&objectname=2007-SB-0082

"passed; given immediate effect Roll Call # 182 Yeas 99 Nays 9"

Good grief, why don't they just get on with it? :D

Thanks for sharing this, Jean. My fingers are SO crossed.

Jeanum

Staff member
Another status change on the Michigan legislature website today for senate bill 82. More good signs of progress, I think/hope?

3/19/2008 Expected in SJ 29 HOUSE INSERTED FULL TITLE
3/19/2008 Expected in SJ 29 GIVEN IMMEDIATE EFFECT
3/19/2008 Expected in SJ 29 FULL TITLE AGREED TO
3/19/2008 Expected in SJ 29 ORDERED ENROLLED

Jeanum

Staff member
Finally, woohoo! :D I was worried it was going to be tabled and not acted upon by members of the state legislature before their two week spring break. I'm relieved and thrilled that it is finally ready for the governor's signature. :D:D:D:D:D

melniemi

yay - do you know if you can be ticketed just for carseat violation? or is it one of those - if you get pulled over for something else, you can be ticketed if they notice the kiddos not properly restrained?

BookMama

Senior Community Member
yay - do you know if you can be ticketed just for carseat violation? or is it one of those - if you get pulled over for something else, you can be ticketed if they notice the kiddos not properly restrained?

I believe it will be a primary offense, which means you can get pulled over for violating child restraint laws, just like the seat belt law. I *think* that's true for the current child restraint law, too.

melniemi

I believe it will be a primary offense, which means you can get pulled over for violating child restraint laws, just like the seat belt law. I *think* that's true for the current child restraint law, too.

YAY!! I hope they actually enforce it! The police station is next door to my kids' school. I've only seen 1 other van with boosters in it. Everyone else hops into an empty back or front seat. I wouldn't be surprised if my kids are the only ones harnessed in the whole pre-k and up, since pre-k is 4 and up and the current law is up to 4.

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
I was told by a sheriff's dept. officer that our child seat laws are a primary offense. They can and do ticket for unrestrained/properly restrained children. Now, I heard that what was holding this up was debate over the nursing exemption. I don't think that changed? Anyone know? I am glad to see this finally pass! Effective July 1. I am antcipating a big demand for boosters at events this spring! That's alot of kids to booster in 3 months!

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I was told by a sheriff's dept. officer that our child seat laws are a primary offense. They can and do ticket for unrestrained/properly restrained children. Now, I heard that what was holding this up was debate over the nursing exemption. I don't think that changed? Anyone know? I am glad to see this finally pass! Effective July 1. I am antcipating a big demand for boosters at events this spring! That's alot of kids to booster in 3 months!

I am 99.99% certain that they've removed that ridiculous nursing exemption. :thumbsup:

It's late and I don't have time to search for the exact language of the bill, but perhaps someone else will be able to. It would be nice to see the exact language posted here, as I believe it also includes requirements for sitting in the back seat until a certain age. :thumbsup:

MamaLinzie

This is a great first step! But some how the word needs to get out how low-income families can get booster seats for their children for free or discounted prices. I know there are resources out there, its just a matter of getting that information out to the people who need it. There needs to be hand outs given to all families applying for state aid, but also information available at secretary of state offices. Laws are good, but resources are better.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC