S/O: WWYD with this big baby in the CCO?

zeo2ski

The thread with the huge 5 month old on the 3rd slots of the CCO got me wondering, so I got out our CCO again and tried my 3 month old DD in it. She's long. So with the infant padding she is even with the 3rd slots; without the padding she's between the 2nd and 3rd. The problem is, she is barely over 12 lbs and it says the infant padding MUST be used until 15 lbs, yet the padding blocks the 3rd slot so you can't actually use the 3rd slot with the padding. BTW this is the older version of one-piece infant insert (if the new one ever did come out yet?). So even though she's up to the 3rd slot she has to use the 2nd slot, but it sure seems wrong! The 2nd slot is down below her armpit when she's in with the infant padding--can that be okay?

Using it without the infant insert fits a lot better, she's nicely between the 2nd and 3rd slots. But that would be against the manual since she's not 15 lbs. Would you just not use this seat with this baby for now? She's currently in a KF without infant insert but the CCO is my only spare seat and I was planning to put DD in the CCO if we got a little newborn foster babe, so now I'm wondering if I should come up with a back up plan.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Combi's former rep (a CPST-I) said it's fine to remove the infant insert at any weight as long as the baby fits fine without it. She said they went very general in the manual because it gets too confusing for the average population when you have a bunch of "if/thens."

I removed the insert on mine when my son was a newborn because he didn't fit well at all with it. Then I put it back in for a while, but removed it for good well before he was 15 lbs.

rachelandtyke

IIRC, I think Combi actually has said you can take the insert out before 15 lbs. I am pretty sure I remember reading threads about this.

zeo2ski

Thank you both! And thank you Combi for being so reasonable and realistic in anticipating the if/thens!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Just don't call them and ask now that noone who is a CPST and will talk to the actual engineers is there. :/ I trust Vera on this one.

KaiLing

I did call and ask, knowing they likely wouldn't say "sure, go ahead and ditch it", and the very nice man on the phone clearly didn't have the authority to say anything other than "read the manual." But he did send me out a new infant insert for my old seat. The new infant inserts are two piece, so you can out the wedge in but get rid of the head part. That might have solved my problem, which was that the big newborn's head was being pushed down into his chest, making me nervous... but it took so long for it to come that the kid reached 15 lbs anyway, so I'm not sure what would have helped. But I was very thankful to Combi for sending me something so that my big newborn would at least have a chance at fitting.

The guy on the phone also could only parrot the "must use until 25 lbs" that's marked on the new infant insert. Not to complain, he was very nice, but this is an issue that they need to address.

So my answer to WWYD is: I waited, basically (he rode in the stupid Snugride once I think). But I had a kid who was over 15 lbs at his 8 week appointment and it was summer so we weren't really going anywhere anyway.

gigi

I took the insert out. My 18 month old is under 25 lbs. I tried with the insert when I received the seat at 12 months and about 18 pounds and the fit was ridiculous. When I called combi, they said it was fine to take the insert out.

oliviacw

I took the insert out. My 18 month old is under 25 lbs. I tried with the insert when I received the seat at 12 months and about 18 pounds and the fit was ridiculous.

This. My daughter is now 21 months old and still doesn't weigh 25 pounds. She's tall enough now (and with a long torso) that if I had the infant insert in I think the top of her head would be within one inch of the shell and she couldn't be rear-facing any more, which would be crazy. Without it, she's got about two inches of torso growth available.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Whoa. 25 lbs? My kids would outgrow the seat RF by height totally before hitting 25 lbs.

Mine probably will too. Vera said that wording was an error andshe was working on getting it changed, but when she left, it never happened... I do buy that the wording was an error, as they have a bit of a history of manual and website errors that take a while to get corrected.

That is in large part why I'm ok removing the insert when the fit without becomes significantly better than fit with.

skylinphoto

My dd didn't hit 25 lbs until like 3-3.5 yrs old (she outgrew it around 3 by height)...vera told me it was fine to remove the insert before 25lbs. It didn't make sense to have to use that huge insert with a 2-3 yr old. Lol.

zeo2ski

Wow seriously 25 lbs? My now 2 y.o. DD outgrew the CCO be height at 15 months withOUT the insert and she was 22 lbs. Now I'm just hoping this new baby will make it at least that long! But that is really good to know I can take the insert out early, thanks.

sparkle3116

Mine probably will too. Vera said that wording was an error andshe was working on getting it changed, but when she left, it never happened... I do buy that the wording was an error, as they have a bit of a history of manual and website errors that take a while to get corrected.

That is in large part why I'm ok removing the insert when the fit without becomes significantly better than fit with.

FYI, Vera is back with Combi!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC