If your DC is normally RF, would you let someone else drive them FF?

newmama

Long story shorter- my DD is 2 yrs old and I have her RF. We're in a jam with daycare and the lady that is going to be our backup, and possibly daycare provider 3 days/week said she might need to take DD sometimes in the van, but she has a carseat she can use. I'm sooooo uncomfortable with this, and my husband knows I'm a stickler about this as well, and even he's uncomfortable with it. I thought about okay, what if I get a spare seat and install it RF for her, but I think she needs the room in her van for grandkids. Plus- we'd only be using her 3x/week at most. I don't like that she'd be FF, and I also don't like that someone else is driving her around somewhere. I'll talk more with her tonight about details, but just wondering what you all think?

ADS

lovinwaves

I would do what you said and buy an extra seat.

She should have room to be rear-facing in a van. You can have the carseat installed as upright as 30 degrees at her age. So no need to worry about the 45 degree recline anymore.

ctbcleveland

Ok - couple follow-ups

How many months old is DD (just barely two, almost three)?

I am not following why a RF versus FF seat would impact the amount of room her grandchildren have. Can you clarify?

newmama

Ok - couple follow-ups

How many months old is DD (just barely two, almost three)?

I am not following why a RF versus FF seat would impact the amount of room her grandchildren have. Can you clarify?

DD is 26 months.

I haven't discussed this with her- just to say that DD is RF still, and she said her car seats are FF. I don't know how lenient she would be as to me putting a seat in her van for DD, let alone RF since she's not used to doing that. I know I'm doing the right thing having DD RF still, but I guess I feel anal about talking it over with her and don't want her to think I'm a pain in the butt. I know- not good excuses...
I don't think she'll be going somewhere frequently, as she'll have a new baby to watch in a month also, but I need to clarify this with her tonight. She said she meets the school bus to get her grandkids sometimes.

ctbcleveland

Here's what I would try - We've made the decision to have NAME rear-facing until she's at least three years old (or whatever your rule is). We are happy to provide you a car seat to use and can also install it for you.

Vans are typically spacious, so I'd think they're be enough room whether the seat is RF or FF.

My sitter does not transport children - but she is very unknowledgable about car seat safety. Your sitter too may not understand that children can ride RF after the infant seat stage.

So, to the extent that you control the seat and the install, you've definitely helped the situation.

Oh yeah - I based this on seeing how close your DC is to two years old. How much does DD weigh?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
So, if she needs to pick up the grandkids and take your DD along, then there must be a least one spare spot for your DD, correct? If so, I would simply buy a seat for her van and install it each day that your DD is there, and remove it when you pick her up. A bit of a pain, but then you know it's installed correctly and she also doesn't have to have the seat in her vehicle on days your DD isn't with her.

Oh, and to answer your question, NO, I would not let my DD ride FF with someone else (she's close in age to your DD).

newmama

Oh yeah - I based this on seeing how close your DC is to two years old. How much does DD weigh?

Her last checkup about a month ago she weighed 25 lbs and was 33 3/4" tall.

Thanks- those are good suggestions. I just wish more people were informed about RF safety and followed it. I'll see how it works tonight and if she's comfortable with my suggestions.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I wouldn't put my kid in someone else's seat, period, unless I knew its history and had checked their install (or knew they were knowledgable to get it right.) I would be so much more comfortable supplying my own seat-- and if I supply my own seat I can install it myself and teach them to do it right, and show them how I want it used.

Maedze

I wouldn't put my kid in someone else's seat, period, unless I knew its history and had checked their install (or knew they were knowledgable to get it right.) I would be so much more comfortable supplying my own seat-- and if I supply my own seat I can install it myself and teach them to do it right, and show them how I want it used.

yeah...for all you know those ff seats grannie has are the same ones her dc used 30 years ago!

skaterbabs

Me either. And no way would I allow my 25 lb child to be FF. :twocents:

I would just state plain out that she is rearfacing and this is her seat(HAND HER THE SEAT), and does she know how to tighten straps and where the chest clip goes? I would make sure of that too. Show her how to do it. Tell, her you are such a stickler on carseats and you want to make sure it is done right.
As a daycare provider I would be *BLOWN AWAY in a good way* knowing you were concerned about the saftey of your child. But, she might not take it is as seriously as us though.

I would install the seat in her van, and show her how to buckle your child in the vehicle.. Have her try it as well.

NannyMom

My DD is about your DD's age and size. I would NOT allow her to be FF unless it was an extreme emergency (which would not likely happen because she has a RF seat in 4 vehicles).

I agree with others that I would also provide my own seat. I know many daycare providers (I know, I know, not ALL do this) will buy seats from yard sales to use. If she won't leave the seat in her van all the time, I'd take it in/out myself.

I am ok with other people driving DD, as long as they know how to properly use the car seat.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I think there are two different questions here.

Can a 26-month/25-pound child FF in an emergency? Yeah, she can.

Would I *plan* to have that same child FF several times a week in someone else's carseat? No way.

emandbri

It would depend on the child but after she is forward facing she may not want to ride rear-facing anymore. I would (and have) used that as an argument for not having her forward facing any any car. My mom was quite annoyed that I wouldn't put Elizabeth in the comfort sport that she has but it only goes to 30 lbs rear-facing and she was 31. I moved a marathon over instead.

bubbaray

I had the same issue with my DCP. She insists that once the knees are bent, she "has" to turn them FFg. What-Ev-Er. I have had many discussions with her about it, sent links, hooked her up with a tech from here that was willing to go to her home and to a check, etc. No go. It was either DD#2 went FFg in her vehicle or I had to find a new daycare.

So, around 22m, DD#2 turned FFg at daycare. I stressed for a short while, but then just let it go. She d/n drive them often. Blowing her off is not an option -- awesome daycare is brutal, if not impossible to find (and she knows it). She's been doing it for 25 yrs and has lots of experience, blah blah blah.

I do, however, provide my own seats. I would not be comfortable with her seats, which aren't expired, but nothing to be to thrilled about.

I'm not in a position to find a new daycare provider at this time and don't want to get a nanny for various reasons. So, DD#2 is FFg at daycare. She is still RFg in my and DH's vehicles and is happy as a clam.

newmama

Thanks for all the advice. After talking more at home, we decided we're just not comfortable with someone else driving DD around at all. I discussed with the daycare lady and she was really nice, and told her if she needed to go somewhere to call either DH or me and we would come pick DD up, or stay with her while she did her errand.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC