Chicco Nextfit installed in middle seat 2014 odyssey

kimmylynnk

Hi
I got my Nextfit a couple weeks ago. :) I went to the fire station here to make sure it got installed correctly. I told them to install in middle row captain seat, but he said the middle is best. They were able to install it very securely in the Odyssey small middle seat with the seats in wide position. In order to get a super secure fit he reclined the seat back some after he had tightened it, then tightened it even more. It will not move at all now. I remember someone saying they couldn't get a secure fit in the 2nd row, middle seat. I'm hoping this was a good trick he used for install and that its safe since it won't move. I have recline angle on 3 for my 29 pound 2 year old. If its not moving its safe, right?

ADS

kimmylynnk

Well that's interesting because I've read here that it doesn't go in well there.

Can you post pics?

That's exactly why I'm questioning install. It's not budging at all. Hoping its a good fit because without the shoulder strap covers my ds is happy in it...so far...

thepote

Yup- there it is :) Thanks.

Are there any prohibitions in the Ody manual regarding reclining the seat with a CR in it, etc?

kimmylynnk

Yup- there it is :) Thanks.

Are there any prohibitions in the Ody manual regarding reclining the seat with a CR in it, etc?

I don't see any in the Honda manual. There is latch on that seat to be used as well. Also. The seat is no longer reclined. He put it back up after he tightened it a second time. Does it look ok? It's in there really tight.

thepote

Did you install it yourself after the firefighter did it? I'm thinking that thing is under a lot of stress and you might not be able to replicate it if the firefighter literally forced it tight.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The recline and incline trick is one that we use when a seat is almost incompatible (or the parent installing has physical limitations.) It shouldn't be used routinely but sounds like the situation might warrant it? My concern is that you know how to install it. I'd take it out and try to reinstall tightly without, and then if necessary with, that trick, and see what happens.

The force multiplying LATCH straps are meant to help with this; is LATCH or seatbelt being used?

kimmylynnk

Latch is being used on the seat. I will not have a need to remove and reinstall the seat because it always stays in this car. The fire station is pretty close if it ever loosens up. It moved a little before he reclined the seatback a couple inches tightened it more then put the seat back up the couple inches. What do you think? I'd prefer to not do it myself because I never seem to get solid installs.

daniele_ut

Latch is being used on the seat. I will not have a need to remove and reinstall the seat because it always stays in this car. The fire station is pretty close if it ever loosens up. It moved a little before he reclined the seatback a couple inches tightened it more then put the seat back up the couple inches. What do you think? I'd prefer to not do it myself because I never seem to get solid installs.

You really need to learn to install it yourself. What if your car breaks down on the freeway and you need to install the seat in another car to get home? What if your child has an accident or throws up and you need to remove the seat for cleaning and reinstall it because you are home alone with your child? There are a lot of reasons you might need to remove the seat and you should feel confident in your ability to reinstall it yourself of that ever happens. You may not have access to a tech at that time.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You really need to know how and be confident in your ability- what if your car breaks down and you need to install in a different vehicle while it gets towed?

There's no way for me to say it is or isn't safe without a physical inspection. In general I'd lean toward ”yes” but the unknown factor is whether something is masking a problem that you can't see without taking itout- hinges on the seat commonly cause interference in some seating positions while also masking movement. It's your seat; if YOU are concerned the best thing to do is take it out, check for damage or interference, and reinstall, and it doesn't have to be as tight as it is now when you do. Anything less than one inch of movement at the belt path is ok. :)

thepote

It doesn't even sound like this guy was a tech if he did it for her and didn't make sure she could do it. We've had multiple knowledgable people here try to do it and said it's incompatible. I'm just worried it's inappropriately muscled in there , you know?

I would never feel comfortable with this situation if it were me and my child, honestly. If for whatever reason no one thought to try the recline trick and it does work then, hooray, we can tell people that. But personally I would not use it in this situation unless I could uninstall it and replicate it.

Eta: cross posted... I'm glad you are going to try :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It doesn't even sound like this guy was a tech if he did it for her and didn't make sure she could do it.
unfortunately this is still par for the course at some fitting stations. It's what you often get at the CHP here, and I correct a lot of erroneous installs they so.
We've had multiple knowledgable people here try to do it and said it's incompatible. I'm just worried it's inappropriately muscled in there , you know?
It's possible no one tried this trick to fix a near incompatible install, and it works. It's also possible that there are hinges etc he muscled it into inappropriately. No way to know without inspection. Glad OP is checking it out. :)

jwilliams

I would be worried that either the plastic hinges on the Odyssey or the NextFit's LATCH hardware being perched/jammed on the belt path were giving the appearance of a solid installation, especially with the recline trick. That's what that seat does to a few things I have tried to install there.

I would personally move it outboard, where installing with Super Cinch likely won't require fireman muscles :). Between being in a vehicle with side airbags where the seats aren't right next to the doors and being RF, it's still very, very safe in any position.

*posted using the car-seat.org app*

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC