Twins, 2 small cars and a budget

Twinmama14

My twins are 11 months and ready to switch to convertible seats. We have quite the list of requirements so I thought I'd post here for some suggestions. My husband and I both have small cars, and we split childcare in half between our schedules so carseats with bases, or easy installation, or cheap enough to buy 4 of is a must. They also must fit in the cars! I drive a 2013 Kia Rio hatch and he drives a 1995 Honda CRV. The twins are currently using Chicco Keyfits that barely fit (but do). We're also on a budget but want the best we can afford. We're trying for less than $300 per kid, whether that means 4 cheap seats, or 2 seats and 4 bases or 2 seats that are super easy to install. We need to switch the seats several times a week. Thanks in advance for any suggestions of seats to try or stay away from!

ADS

henrietta

4 Evenflo Triumphs on sale....or 4 Graco Headwise/Size4Me/MySize on sale... they'd have the same exact 4 seats that will last them each till they are at least 4 years old, probably longer. At least one model of each of those will be available, including tax, for less than $150 somewhere. ;)

The Graco Size4Me & it's clones last the longest of anything rear facing and will last a good long time forward facing, are easy to install, have cupholders, and are narrow AND don't take up a lot of room front to back. http://www.albeebaby.com/graco-size4me-65-convertible-car-seat-go-green.html

For less money, but really long lasting also, the Evenflo SureRide for $99 (and under, if you can get the version called the Titan Deluxe...make sure it's the same seat first, there's another one called Titan) has the tallest top slots on the market besides a Britax Frontier, so it will take them all the way to a cheap backless booster in 6 years. ;)

With these seats, you wouldn't have to make another purchase in 2-3 years and your twins could stay rear facing till at least 2, probably longer, as recommended.

And of course, you can always pick two that have nicer features & cost a little more for the vehicle you use for longer trips and/or has less safety features of it's own, etc, and the two buudget friendlier seats for the other car.

I definitely think that you should have 4 seats, 2 in each car, even if you go the Cosco Scenera route. It's much safer when seats are installed properly and if you have to move them a lot, it's more likely that mistakes will be made. (-;

(And btw, past the infant seats, there aren't any seats that install with a base...well maybe one...but it's not recommended much and it's expensive...AND you'll like this part, most convertible carseats take up LESS room front to back than the infant seats, so you'll be fine with most any seat you choose.)

Last edited:

lgenne

Check out this page: http://carseatblog.com/30022/comparison-of-budget-priced-convertible-carseats-under-100/

I would go with a Scenera NEXT over the Scenera for $10 more per seat. (Actually, they either reduced the price or it's on sale--it's only $6 more per seat: http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/411267...01780152&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=89053465737&veh=sem)

I'd do that for at least one of the cars.

Do you plan to do any long drives? I don't drive long distances with car seats that don't allow the use of harness pads since my older two each rubbed a spot on their necks raw while screaming their heads off at the end of long drives when we were just trying to get home. Overstock.com currently has the Graco MyRide 65 available for $150.99. Two of those plus two Scenera NEXTs comes out to something like $394 before tax, and you'd have a pretty nice setup.

lpperry

I would NOT get 2 convertible seats and move them between cars. All of that moving around makes it more likely that something is going to get installed incorrectly. Also, you are busy enough with 11 month old twins. I am guessing you don't have the time to deal with moving big heavy seats all the time!

If you are truly truly on a budget, then I suggest getting 4 Evenflo SureRides. They will last you a very long time rear facing and forward facing and are right around $100 or less each.

If you are on a budget just because you don't really feel like spending a lot of money on 4 carseats (and justifiably so!) then I suggest reevaluating your budget. All of the seats are equally safe, but this is something that you are going to be using multiple times a day for years. For me, that deserves a little extra money to be spent in order to get something that has the features I want.

We have a SureRide in Grandma's car. It's fine, but it is not something I would want to be buckling and unbuckling on a regular basis. It's not as easy to tighten. It's harder to loosen the harness. The straps are not as friendly to buckle. I don't know--it is just well worth it to me to pay a little extra to get something that is going to make my everyday life easier.

I am not saying you need to go out and get the most expensive seat and if you are truly on a budget and don't have extra money to spend, then the SureRide is a great option. I would aim to spend between $150-$200 per seat. That will take you to between $300 and $400 per child.

The Graco Headwise/Fit4me/Size4Me/MySize are all essentially the same seat. I would look for the best price on one of those. See where you can find one on sale. Or doesn't BRU have a twin discount if you buy two of the same thing? I think you could get 4 of those for $150-$180ish each. There is a Size4me on Amazon for $139 in pink. Some other colors are $160. Look around though--you can definitely find one of these for a good price. It is a really nice seat--well worth the extra $50-$60 per seat to get this rather than the Evenflo SureRide.

I would stay away from the Evenflo Triumph65. The knobs are so annoying in a lot of cars. Even if they work in your car now, if you end up getting a different car, they may not work. This happened to me. I ended up getting rid of that seat.

The Myride is a mid priced seat, but I would go with the other Graco before the Myride. The Myride is so reclined forward facing. I won't even use it--the kids think it is so awkward and uncomfortable. It is great for rear facing though!

I can't think of any others that would be better than the Graco Size4Me. It shouldn't take up more room front to back than your Keyfits, so you should be ok there.

HEVY

Op mentioned the cars were small so I thought the Scenera would work for them, and the price is low. My first choice would have been the Sureride, and looking at the install pics it looks pretty compact, not much different than the Scenera.

I'm not sure where you're located but some stores, BBB/TRU/BRU, will let you install them.

seb3244

I would NOT get 2 convertible seats and move them between cars. All of that moving around makes it more likely that something is going to get installed incorrectly. Also, you are busy enough with 11 month old twins. I am guessing you don't have the time to deal with moving big heavy seats all the time! If you are truly truly on a budget, then I suggest getting 4 Evenflo SureRides. They will last you a very long time rear facing and forward facing and are right around $100 or less each. If you are on a budget just because you don't really feel like spending a lot of money on 4 carseats (and justifiably so!) then I suggest reevaluating your budget. All of the seats are equally safe, but this is something that you are going to be using multiple times a day for years. For me, that deserves a little extra money to be spent in order to get something that has the features I want. We have a SureRide in Grandma's car. It's fine, but it is not something I would want to be buckling and unbuckling on a regular basis. It's not as easy to tighten. It's harder to loosen the harness. The straps are not as friendly to buckle. I don't know--it is just well worth it to me to pay a little extra to get something that is going to make my everyday life easier. I am not saying you need to go out and get the most expensive seat and if you are truly on a budget and don't have extra money to spend, then the SureRide is a great option. I would aim to spend between $150-$200 per seat. That will take you to between $300 and $400 per child. The Graco Headwise/Fit4me/Size4Me/MySize are all essentially the same seat. I would look for the best price on one of those. See where you can find one on sale. Or doesn't BRU have a twin discount if you buy two of the same thing? I think you could get 4 of those for $150-$180ish each. There is a Size4me on Amazon for $139 in pink. Some other colors are $160. Look around though--you can definitely find one of these for a good price. It is a really nice seat--well worth the extra $50-$60 per seat to get this rather than the Evenflo SureRide. I would stay away from the Evenflo Triumph65. The knobs are so annoying in a lot of cars. Even if they work in your car now, if you end up getting a different car, they may not work. This happened to me. I ended up getting rid of that seat. The Myride is a mid priced seat, but I would go with the other Graco before the Myride. The Myride is so reclined forward facing. I won't even use it--the kids think it is so awkward and uncomfortable. It is great for rear facing though! I can't think of any others that would be better than the Graco Size4Me. It shouldn't take up more room front to back than your Keyfits, so you should be ok there.

I agree with this for sure about spending more money for something I use every day.

When I was trying to help my friend find a compact convertible car seat we found that a Guide 65 was a good fit in a compact car.

Good luck and definitely keep those precious twins rear facing until after two!
Can you post a pic of your twins? I am fascinated by twins and baby twins just make my heart melt lol

henrietta

Op mentioned the cars were small so I thought the Scenera would work for them, and the price is low. My first choice would have been the Sureride, and looking at the install pics it looks pretty compact, not much different than the Scenera.

I'm not sure where you're located but some stores, BBB/TRU/BRU, will let you install them.

The Scenera is a great option, no criticism here at all. ;)

OP mentioned a potential budget up to $600 total for all 4 seats and I wanted to offer her other options.

I apologize completely if I came across as a downer on the Scenera. Totally not my intent. :)

henrietta

I agree with this for sure about spending more money for something I use every day.

When I was trying to help my friend find a compact convertible car seat we found that a Guide 65 was a good fit in a compact car.

Good luck and definitely keep those precious twins rear facing until after two!
Can you post a pic of your twins? I am fascinated by twins and baby twins just make my heart melt lol

Ooo...yes, forgot about the Guide 65. Good price point, last a good while, easy to use although may be tougher to install rearfacing in some vehicles, but we can help here if needed, compact, nice little seat!

henrietta

The knobs on the Triumphs are a love/hate thing! LOL

We've loved our Triumphs. I loved the knobs. Even when they were a tad difficult in one car with sculpted seats. They were both my boys favorite too. And we've had lots of seats! Installed them in at least 7-8 different vehicles. If Evenflo would add back harness pads or just cover the red tabs AND a rear facing tether, we'd be buying another one today. :D

Twinmama14

I would NOT get 2 convertible seats and move them between cars. All of that moving around makes it more likely that something is going to get installed incorrectly. Also, you are busy enough with 11 month old twins. I am guessing you don't have the time to deal with moving big heavy seats all the time!

If you are truly truly on a budget, then I suggest getting 4 Evenflo SureRides. They will last you a very long time rear facing and forward facing and are right around $100 or less each.

If you are on a budget just because you don't really feel like spending a lot of money on 4 carseats (and justifiably so!) then I suggest reevaluating your budget. All of the seats are equally safe, but this is something that you are going to be using multiple times a day for years. For me, that deserves a little extra money to be spent in order to get something that has the features I want.

We have a SureRide in Grandma's car. It's fine, but it is not something I would want to be buckling and unbuckling on a regular basis. It's not as easy to tighten. It's harder to loosen the harness. The straps are not as friendly to buckle. I don't know--it is just well worth it to me to pay a little extra to get something that is going to make my everyday life easier.

I am not saying you need to go out and get the most expensive seat and if you are truly on a budget and don't have extra money to spend, then the SureRide is a great option. I would aim to spend between $150-$200 per seat. That will take you to between $300 and $400 per child.

The Graco Headwise/Fit4me/Size4Me/MySize are all essentially the same seat. I would look for the best price on one of those. See where you can find one on sale. Or doesn't BRU have a twin discount if you buy two of the same thing? I think you could get 4 of those for $150-$180ish each. There is a Size4me on Amazon for $139 in pink. Some other colors are $160. Look around though--you can definitely find one of these for a good price. It is a really nice seat--well worth the extra $50-$60 per seat to get this rather than the Evenflo SureRide.

I would stay away from the Evenflo Triumph65. The knobs are so annoying in a lot of cars. Even if they work in your car now, if you end up getting a different car, they may not work. This happened to me. I ended up getting rid of that seat.

The Myride is a mid priced seat, but I would go with the other Graco before the Myride. The Myride is so reclined forward facing. I won't even use it--the kids think it is so awkward and uncomfortable. It is great for rear facing though!

I can't think of any others that would be better than the Graco Size4Me. It shouldn't take up more room front to back than your Keyfits, so you should be ok there.

I definitely want something easy to use and I agree it would be worth the extra money to not want to pull my hair out every day. I also want to buy seat that will last them until they're ready for booster seats. I want to keep them RF as long as possible (college?) so at least 40 lbs.
I have been looking at both the Graco Sureride and the safety 1st guide 65. I think the Sureride looks nicer but the guide 65 is supposed to be smaller. But if it's true that convertibles take up less front to back space than infant seats, then awesome.
I will have to look into this BRU twin discount. I bought plenty of multiples of little things and no discount was given. Maybe it's just big ticket items.
I will look into the Graco size4me. Thank you!

Twinmama14

Ooo...yes, forgot about the Guide 65. Good price point, last a good while, easy to use although may be tougher to install rearfacing in some vehicles, but we can help here if needed, compact, nice little seat!
How do you think the guide 65 compares to the Graco size4me? Is the Graco's ease of use (and other features?) worth the extra $100? I think I'll head to the store to look at them in person before I buy. Thanks! This all really helps.

henrietta

The Grace Size 4 Me (and it's clones, one of which is a lower priced seat with the same height & weight limits) is worth it over the Guide 65. It will last much longer rearfacing, plus be easier to install. (-; Ordering on line is often cheaper with coupons, store credit cards, Kohls cash...but until you are sure of what you want, stick to stores you can return to locally.

henrietta

The Graco "Fit 4 Me" and "Contender" are on Walmart.com for $152-159. Same seat as Size 4 Me. Order on line, no shipping to store, return to store. (-;

henrietta

Multiple patterns of the Guide 65 are on sale for $67 up to $100 on Walmart.com. Great price. Those could be in one car or both. I just find the Graco easier to install rearfacing. I do like the harness adjuster (& sometimes the buckles also) better on Costco/Safety First seats.

rin2809

This may be a little late, but wanted to chime in. I have a 2007 Kia Spectra and the Guide 65 fits great rear facing. And is easy to install with latch outboard. To me its cushy enough to be the regular seat, but is cheap enough for a backup $70ish.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC