Vent PLEASE, stay rear-facing past 12mos/20lbs

Kat_Momof3

well, now that I've had a chance to read more than the original post, I see we are allowed to use the pics.

I'm going to make a video... and I'll also use some shots of my daughter rearfacing in her seat and some of the shots from the swedish sites (but I'll take the faces out, since I do not speak the language to ask permission and don't want to show their kids without permission)

ADS

April

well, now that I've had a chance to read more than the original post, I see we are allowed to use the pics.

I'm going to make a video... and I'll also use some shots of my daughter rearfacing in her seat and some of the shots from the swedish sites (but I'll take the faces out, since I do not speak the language to ask permission and don't want to show their kids without permission)

Let us know if you want more toddler rf'ing pics. I just took some of my 33lb 2year old in his TF.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
and I'll also use some shots of my daughter rearfacing in her seat and some of the shots from the swedish sites (but I'll take the faces out, since I do not speak the language to ask permission and don't want to show their kids without permission)
I would think if you didn't have permission for the pics, you couldn't use them whether or not you blurred out faces. Unless of course the web site you are taking them from says that the pics are for public use.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I would think if you didn't have permission for the pics, you couldn't use them whether or not you blurred out faces. Unless of course the web site you are taking them from says that the pics are for public use.

That was my thought, too.

Also, I don't want to be a downer, because it's a noble cause...but I didn't read where the OP said we could share photos. Just the story. I also wonder if a grandparent has the authority to allow photos of a grandchild to be shared by others. Again, I'm not trying to be nitpicky or difficult, I just wanted to put that out there.

Andie

That was my thought, too.

Also, I don't want to be a downer, because it's a noble cause...but I didn't read where the OP said we could share photos. Just the story. I also wonder if a grandparent has the authority to allow photos of a grandchild to be shared by others. Again, I'm not trying to be nitpicky or difficult, I just wanted to put that out there.

So, to all of you who want to use Joel's story, here's the deal. If you want to print it out & hand it to parents as a proactive advocate of RF seats, go ahead!! I know the pic's are powerful. And I have some even more devastating than those. Keep in mind, he fractured his right eye (orbital shelf) , and so for the week after the accident...his right eye looked like a boxer's after 10 rounds of boxing!

I took this statement in his 2nd post to this thread as permission to use them. Although, you may be right about grandparents authority.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
luv2bfishin ~ I just wanted to let you know that I found your thread here as well as at the other forum. I've responded there & have also replied to your email :)

I think you may appreciate my brief blog here, too > Why am I here? How did I get into this? My father is retired now & lives in this area only during the summers, but I would love to pick his brain some more about reaching out to the physical therapy etc. students in hopes of finding some way to not only bring more awareness to this issue that your family is now facing after a long line of so many others, but also to get an "in" with future providors who can communicate to their colleagues. . . .

Keri, do you know anything about the Day Care Child Development Council in your area? I may be able to find out about yours through mine. They are supposed to be spread throughout the state. I think they should be another good place to reach out to. With permission, I will email this story to mine....

luv2bfishin

Luv2bfishin here, responding to your comment about authorizing use of photos of my grandson. I've discussed everything with the parents, and they are okay with everything.

Actually, they thought I was alittle nuts over this whole thing, thinking I could make a difference. But as I have shown them replies to the blog, and they here all the positive comments, they are happy that some parents don't may not have to experience this horrific situation.

I'd like to particulary thank Tiffany @ http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourneys/ and Lisa In AZ whom have who have shown me ways to get bring this issue to the next level of public scrutiny.

As for any negative impact on the family of these photos being posted on the web, I can't think of any? All the freinds and family locally have visited him and seen him firsthand. I doubt they could be used as a joke of some kind. Christopher Reeves didn't seem to have problem with showing himself in a halo. There are several images of people on Google's "images" wearing halo's.

This is all about prevention. We're not looking for sympathy. No family should endure this tragedy, and the solutions to preventing it are so easy, so obvious.....that it needs to be put into the public eye.

Recently, I have visited stores that sell carseats. I ask the salesperson what options I have for a baby that is 13 mos old and 22 lbs. They ALL told me, front facing is "okay" at that age & weight. I asked again, they are "safe in a FF car seat" at that age. And they ALL responding with some form of it's within the law.

But what if there were a sticker on the car seat that warned (as with cigarettes) that" FF your child can result in a broken neck and / or paralysis." Do you think that might prompt a parent to ask a few more questions??

That's what this is all about. not tragedy, but prevention.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'd like to particulary thank Tiffany
You're very welcome :)

Prevention is the best medicine. Part of the reason I hope to get more out of my father in regards to this issue is that I think he would be a good voice to physicians. He's retired now, but he used to lead seminars for medical professionals. I've seen far too many kids in similar situations throughout my lifetime just by following him around (it became difficult enough for him that he instead started working in prisons: that was less stressful than seeing injured kids). Too few people get to see this. Real life stories & images hit home to inspire the research that can be used to change policies/laws -- along with the public voice, of course. Here's to hoping tragedies can become positive means for improving the wellbeing of children. :thumbsup:

Andie

I was just messaged by another friend who has a 18 mo, 21# little girl. I'm going over there in a little while to help them turn her back rear facing. You are making a difference! I just find it disheartening that something like this has to happen to change minds and open eyes.

Sweet Mercies

It is so heartwrenching to see a child go through what I went through 11 years ago. My C1 and C2 vertebrae were broken in a side impact crash. A drunk driver slammed into my drivers side door going between 65-70mph (estimated) and there were no brakes. The Jaws of Life were used to extract me from my vehicle. The drs wanted to do a fusion surgery on me, but I was sooo hesitant. I was 20 years old and would walk about with a stiff neck for the rest of my life...it scared me. BUT what scared me even more was the fact that the broken space between my C1 was large enough to move a small finger through freely. They debated about a HALO, but said I would still likely have to have the fusion surgery. My microneurosurgeon was PHENOMENAL with me. He ended up offering up the SOMI brace (which isn't feasible at your grandson's age). I wore it for 164 days, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It was by a miracle (so says my dr and myself) that I actually healed from my broken neck. One of the people that inspired me to do more for spinal injuries was Christopher Reeve. He and I had a 'bond' with our injuries. I was blessed enough that I didn't have any paralyzation.

I have used my first hand experience to talk to people about ERF. I did so with my child until he was a little passed 2 years old and outgrew seats in height and weight :( If I were in a financial position, I would import seats from other countries to keep my children RFing as long as possible. I, too, desire the capability of keeping children RFing as long as possible. My almost 6 y/o asked me all the time if she could 'face backward' and I desire it as well!

My heart truly goes out to you, Joel and your family. My family and I have been in your situation and it is painful. I will keep Joel in my prayers for healing and restoration.

One praise I can say is that I have NO side effects or problems with my neck. Of course, I won't be going out for the US Gymnastics team anytime soon, I can still do all the things I love.

miraclebabies

I am very sorry to hear what happened to Joel. I hope he gets better and has a full recovery. I have been having problems with getting across to my cousin. She has a 27lb 9 month old and has been foward facing for about 2 months. She hit 20lbs at 7months and her Dr said that it was ok to turn her FF. I saw her today and told her that she should turn Haylen back around and she got all defensive. I told her that the Scerena carseat will rear face to 30lbs and she said I don't know how to do it. I said how unsafe it is and she said the cop that lives next to us has a kid the same age and she is FF. I which she wasn't but that's not yor baby. I know she is sensitive about how much the baby weighs and makes comments all the time. The baby eats all kids of table food and is huge. She weighs more than my 20 month old. This is the same mom that put her older DD in a high back booster when she turned 1, straight from a infant carrier. She just used the lap belt and still has the same seat for her now 6yr old. I will send her your story and see if it changes her mind. Thanks for sharing.

luv2bfishin

Just think about this. A baby is not a miniature adult, Their bones aren't even bone yet at the age your talking about. My grandson is a "big" boy, at 33 lbs and 18 mos old, and it broke HIS neck at approx 35 mph. Just ask your cousin to try this: strap the baby in, adjust the rearview mirror to look directly at the baby.Then drive about 30 ft, at 4 or 5 mph, and slam on the brakes! see where there head goes!! BUT CAUTION HER FIRST, that this exercise may in fact cause injury to the back of the baby's neck!!! And in reality, don't let her do it, because it could. Just see her reaction. Hopefully she'll say "no way, I'm not gonna do that!!" and then...you have your answer!
If you need to see Joel's before and after photos go to:

(Carseat Data website closed - link broken)

Good luck, for the baby's sake.

CrabbyBunchX3

I am greatly sorry that this has happened to your darling grandson and wish him well.

I shared your story with my younger sister 2 nights ago. Her daughter is almost 4 months old, and will now be rear facing to the limits of her future convertible car seat.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Wife&MomX3

I'll be praying for your grandson's recovery! Bless U for being so passionate that this not happen to anybody else! And thank U for permission to share your story, to help others prevent this tragedy.

miraclebabies

Thank you for all your help in spreading the dangers of front facing at such a young age. It is so sad that it comes to a child getting hurt for someone to finally understand the benifits of rear facing past a year of age. I went to the site and it won't let me get to the pictures, do I enter the same log in as on this website. I am going to keep trying to show her how unsafe it is, she got very defensive and said that her neighbor cop is doing the same thing. I know she is embarrased about how big her little girl is but I told her that her carseat will rear face for sometime before she needs to turn her. She even said that her Dr said they have to be 1 yr and 20lbs but she said I know she is not a year old yet but who cares. I looked at the baby in the seat before they were leaving and the straps were way to high and the chest clip was down by the buckles. I need to send her some you tube stuff and hope it will changes her mind. I know your grandson was heavier and older but it goes to show that even at a low speed it can really hurt a child. Once again thank you for taking the time to share your story and I will pray for Joel. Have a good night...Andrea

Just think about this. A baby is not a miniature adult, Their bones aren't even bone yet at the age your talking about. My grandson is a "big" boy, at 33 lbs and 18 mos old, and it broke HIS neck at approx 35 mph. Just ask your cousin to try this: strap the baby in, adjust the rearview mirror to look directly at the baby.Then drive about 30 ft, at 4 or 5 mph, and slam on the brakes! see where there head goes!! BUT CAUTION HER FIRST, that this exercise may in fact cause injury to the back of the baby's neck!!! And in reality, don't let her do it, because it could. Just see her reaction. Hopefully she'll say "no way, I'm not gonna do that!!" and then...you have your answer!
If you need to see Joel's before and after photos go to:

(Carseat Data website closed - link broken)

Good luck, for the baby's sake.

momtojosie

I just wanted to add that I was debating getting a new seat for my DD2 (instead giving her DD1's Decathlon, which only Rf to 20 lbs), and after reading this thread, I'm sure I will get her a newer seat in which she can ERF!

I'm so sorry about what happened to your grandson, but I thank you for the information....It affirmed for me that we need to keep her rear-facing as long as possible.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC